LCD TV for Photo Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdyH

Mar 8, 2005
Hi guys

just wondering if anyone here using LCD TV for foto editing. I really mean LCD tv and not lcd monitor. Like those sony bravia, if hook up to ur PC how accurate is the color rendition and stuff. FYI, i do have monitor calibration but not sure if it can b apply to the tv.

ANyone has any experience cuz i'm planning to get 1 and tot of throwing the monitor due to space constraint.

Appreciate all the advice. TIA.

quite low resolution compared to a monitor right..?

LCD TVs have very low resolution and the sharpness is quite bad. Dont think you'll want to use those for computer work. Unless of course your LCD tv was intended to take monitor signals. If you merely hook up to TV out, don't think you'll have good results.

hi bro, i am using Samsung 32" LCD TV, those get free from starhub.
i am using it with my workstation for my photo and video editing.
Color wise: good enough for me.

LCD TVs have very low resolution and the sharpness is quite bad. Dont think you'll want to use those for computer work. Unless of course your LCD tv was intended to take monitor signals. If you merely hook up to TV out, don't think you'll have good results.

for HD ready LCD TVs, they have a res of 1366 x 768.
for full HD LCD TVs, they have a res of 1920 x 1080.

the res for HD ready TVs is not high enough for photo/video-editing IMO. even with dedicated VGA/DVI/HDMI ports for connecting ur computer to them, the resolution above stays. connecting via TV out is worse.
Full HD is better.

if u think ur current monitor is not gd enough, then u gotta get a new LCD monitor / Full HD TV.

more info, a typical..
17" & 19" (non wide) LCD monitor would have a res of 1280 x 1024.
19" (wide) - 1440 x 900.
20" & 22" (wide) - 1680 x 1050.
22"(some), 24" & 27" (wide) - 1920 x 1200.
30" (wide) - 2560 x 1600

very soon we might be looking at 22" LCD with 3840 x 2160 resolution... thats a freaking 4x FullHD resolution... :bigeyes:

I have not tried HD Tvs before, only SD TVs, but I just adjust the pixel resolution accordingly.

From my experiences, words read fuzzy on TVs, but then again, those are on SD TVs (properly resolutionized).

for HD ready LCD TVs, they have a res of 1366 x 768.
for full HD LCD TVs, they have a res of 1920 x 1080.

the res for HD ready TVs is not high enough for photo/video-editing IMO. even with dedicated VGA/DVI/HDMI ports for connecting ur computer to them, the resolution above stays. connecting via TV out is worse.
Full HD is better.

if u think ur current monitor is not gd enough, then u gotta get a new LCD monitor / Full HD TV.

more info, a typical..
17" & 19" (non wide) LCD monitor would have a res of 1280 x 1024.
19" (wide) - 1440 x 900.
20" & 22" (wide) - 1680 x 1050.
22"(some), 24" & 27" (wide) - 1920 x 1200.
30" (wide) - 2560 x 1600

very soon we might be looking at 22" LCD with 3840 x 2160 resolution... thats a freaking 4x FullHD resolution... :bigeyes:

read abt that. but imo its hard to use for normal computers la. cos the words and stuff would be too small, but damn sharp. but wads the pt? the screen is still small.

read abt that. but imo its hard to use for normal computers la. cos the words and stuff would be too small, but damn sharp. but wads the pt? the screen is still small.
well, who knows... maybe windows or ms start developing their OS for the ultra high resolution LCD... it might work up darn well especially when it comes to editting

With current technology, 22" to 24" is about ideal in terms of contrast uniformity, with IPS/PVA/MVA screens. TN just doesn't cut it. Tried a 30" IPS monitor before and found it a bit hard to use - you need a huge desk and sit a bit further than normal from it.

With current technology, 22" to 24" is about ideal in terms of contrast uniformity, with IPS/PVA/MVA screens. TN just doesn't cut it. Tried a 30" IPS monitor before and found it a bit hard to use - you need a huge desk and sit a bit further than normal from it.

true for bigger screens that u'll have to sit further back.
but for editting, bigger screens are usu. better. that's y some ppl use dual monitors when 1 isnt enough.

for me, i'm using a 22" monitor. big enough for me to do editing work.

yep, currently LCD TVs are still not that good, since they have lower res as compared to LCD monitors of the same size. maybe Full HD is still ok, but i havent tried that. don't quote me. haha

Having a hard time finding any IPS 22" LCD monitors. Can anyone recommend any?
the only ones I know about are the Eizo CG221 and the older CG220... using S-IPS... they also have an S-PVA 22" called the S2231W... most other 22" screens should be TN-film... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.