LCD preview on SLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

I would like to post a question. "Are there any SLRs in the market that are able to use the LCD screen to compose the shot (like a PnS) without viewing through the viewfinder?"

All comments are welcomed. :)

S2 PRO.

There's another one upcoming, can't remember which one.

Canew said:
Hello everyone,

I would like to post a question. "Are there any SLRs in the market that are able to use the LCD screen to compose the shot (like a PnS) without viewing through the viewfinder?"

All comments are welcomed. :)

You can use any SLR/DSLR with Zigview LCD to do that.

espn,

If the S2 Pro have this function, and it was launched way back in early 2002, why doesn't other SLRs have this function too?

And what is the cheapest SLR in the market today? The KM 5D? (OT question)

Errr espn,

Need your help in clarifying this point which was posted at 'dpreview' website (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis2pro/page3.asp)

LCD Monitor
The S2 Pro has a good, sharp and bright 118,000 pixel 1.8" LCD monitor. This provides image review and menu control display. The screen itself is mounted to the far left of the camera rear below the display panel. There's no anti-reflective coating but even so the screen is fairly easy to see in sunlight. Fujifilm supply the S2 Pro with a protective LCD cover, this clips from the right to the left of the screen. It's not completely transparent and adds a 'cloudy' feel to the displayed image, not as good as the D100's transparent cover.

For those who are new to digital SLR's it's worth noting that they don't provide a live preview image like consumer digital cameras. This is because of the reflex mirror, mechanical shutter and design of the sensor (which can't be used to provide a video feed). The LCD is only "On" if you have image review enabled (after taking the shot), when you're navigating menus or reviewing images in play mode.

I think its a typo. Espn may be referring to the S3Pro.

DPreview said:
Record: Live Image mode

No other digital SLR has ever been able to provide a live view on the LCD monitor, until now. The S3 Pro has a unique (if slightly pointless) feature. You can switch to a 'Live Image' mode which provides a video-like B&W live view feed direct from the sensor to the LCD monitor (just like a consumer digital camera). In this mode you can also magnify the center portion of the frame. The important limitations however are: (a) its for display only, you can not trigger the shutter release in this mode, (b) the viewfinder is blacked out because the mirror must swing up and shutter open, (c) the display is in black and white, (d) the display can only be provided for a maximum of 30 seconds. All in all this mode seems to be more of a technology stunt than a useful feature.

its the S3 Pro. However, you can only do a live preview for 30 secs IIRC and the image is in b&w. However, you can only use it to check your image and you are not able to take the picture in the live preview mode.

Topic too technical for Kopitiam. Thread moved to General, Reviews, Tech Talks.

:p

Kopitiam

Anyone that can answer the questions below:

1. If the S3 Pro have this function (as per r32's comments), why doesn't other SLRs have this function too? (albeit with limited functionality)

2. And what is the cheapest SLR in the market today? The KM 5D? (OT question)

1. I don't think the lack live lcd preview is really an issue IMHO. The viewfinder requires no power and theres no lag. :)

2. A spoilt SLR. :) lol

I love the live preview for my S3 - use it rarely, but when i do, it's such a joy! Especially in crowded places where you need to lift up ur camera and u don't wanna do a 'anyhow whack' shot - u get to see it on your LCD without trying to guess what you're taking! upz for fuji! muahahah D:

Exactly, ParkertR,

Since there is obvious advantage, I am wondering why there are such a dearth of DSLRs that comes with a LCD preview function.

If battery consumption is a consideration, then give users an option of switching it ON or OFF.

If cost is a concern, I would think that the LCD preview function will not factor as a large portion of the total cost of a DSLR. (correct me if I am wrong)

Best solution is to get a Prosumer digicam - works almost like an SLR in terms of features except for the interchangeable lens and got the LCD preview function as described. And spend much less too.

Back to this question why dSLR cannot give you this function. Well, this is just my speculation - most dSLR today are actually film SLR with a digital sensor added on and more or less integrated together. Like the D100 is based on the F80 and so on. If you observe carefully, even the mirror is the full size mirror and not the DX size. Same thing goes to the pentaprism/pentamirror. Becos these cameras are not designed from scratch as digital SLR, they cannot function properly as such, like the LCD function, which requires mirror lock-up.

Seems that only Olympus got a brand new SLR.... unfortunately it ain't that successful, based on my observation like I have not seen anyone using it at all.

Resistance to change comes from Camera designers lazy to change the entire camera and we photogs love to keep and use our old lenses and if possible flashes and other accessories.

Does it swivel? ;p

Does it swivel? ;p

The old Olympus E-20 had an optical viewfinder as well as a live-preview LCD monitor (albeit a poor one).

I'm wondering why is it so difficult to implement such a feature into DSLRs? If the mirror is in the way, then I think Canon did find a solution with their fixed-mirror EOS-1n RS. IIRC, even this camera wasn't the first to have a semi-transparent pellicle mirror.

I feel that a flip-down/flip-up screen would be very useful when for e.g. taking overhead pics at crowded events. For now, DSLR users have to depend on estimation to get the shot right.

Status
Not open for further replies.