LCD / PLASMA TV.. is it time to buy...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmzarcega

Jan 12, 2007
Woodlands
hi guys.. planning to buy 32" LCD / PLASMA TV... do you think its time to grab one..?? i noticed how the price slide down so fast...and what brand/model should you recommend..im eyeing on Sony Bravia... thanks...

Hello friend,

Seems like pioneer looks good. Saw the display at the recent IT show. Being amazed by the picture quality. (Just my point of view)

Panasonic seems not bad too.

Hope you will have your LCD soon :D

thanks bro... ill try to look around today.. last time they offer a free xbox 360..hope to find one again...hehehe..

pioneer is the best !

Base on review, testing and re-search

They provide the best quality :thumbsup:

so need to check pioneer as well coz im considering bravia and philips only...

btw.. what can you say about the picture quality when watching local broadcast show alone... coz i think when it comes to watching dvd should have no prob in clarity...

thanks..

Samsung LAR50 series user here, no compaints! Thorughly enjoying the rich colors and material / aesthetics of LCD TV are fantastic too. So both the picture and TV look good!! :D

BTW, a school of thought suggests LCD is the way to go, so avoid buying a plasma. I don't have any concrete research to share with you on this, so treat it as hearsay and do some research on the web on this. Personally, I prefer a LCD...

Cheers and all the best! :thumbsup:

How about Sony Bravia ??? im also looking to buy a FULL HD LCD. Still doing some research and waiting to see how the local TV braodcast works on FULL HD TVs.

Samsung LAR50 series user here, no compaints! Thorughly enjoying the rich colors and material / aesthetics of LCD TV are fantastic too. So both the picture and TV look good!! :D

BTW, a school of thought suggests LCD is the way to go, so avoid buying a plasma. I don't have any concrete research to share with you on this, so treat it as hearsay and do some research on the web on this. Personally, I prefer a LCD...

Cheers and all the best! :thumbsup:

bro how bout the quality of local channels... how is it...??? is it really wash out compared to CTV because of the resolution difference.... thanks...

Local channels look really good, no problems. At least Ch5 which has all these glam hollywood kinda series. In fact channels like STAR World, etc suck due to the resolution. But dont worry mate...go for it...soon most channels will be HD or in the least digital, so you can enjoy ur LCD TV.

And hey, until then you can play PS3, Wii, Xbox, etc on ur LCD to enjoy them even better. :D

Oh...no to forget...hook up your cam to it sometime to view ur best pics in hi res large screen format. Pioneer or Panasonic or Samsung would be my choice not Phillips, Sony Bravia, etc.

Cheers!

I prefer plasma tv to LCD.. much better contrast, natural color and viewing angle, and cheaper too. :)

But then I don't think you can get a 32" plasma, min 37", and very few with adequate spec to support HD.. most good model starts from 42"

Really? I thot LCD always had better tech capabilities than Plasma. Only reason they were not popular until now was that beyond 32" there was a ghosting on LCD whereas plasmas had a clear image (ghosting trails is very pronounced in sporting events, e.g. in soccer the player will run a distance but you can still see his trail on ur LCD screen). However with new technology that eliminated this ghosting phenomenon it virtually revolutionalised LCD technology and finally LCDs were launched in large sizes like 37, 40, 42, 50 inches etc!!

But yeah plasmas are definitely cheaper than LCD's, so if budget is an issue then plasma is it. Whereas in terms of longetivity LCD's are a better choice. Also viewing angle i was told is wider on LCD, quite contrary to what you mentioned...my LCD (Samsung) has a 160degress clean viewing angle...very impressive.

Maybe TS can do a bit of reading on the web on this, loadsa nice reviews on both technologies available.

Cheers.

I prefer plasma tv to LCD.. much better contrast, natural color and viewing angle, and cheaper too. :)

But then I don't think you can get a 32" plasma, min 37", and very few with adequate spec to support HD.. most good model starts from 42"

Stay away from Samsung. Their service and support sucks big time.
Their products are ok until you have a problem.

I rather pay more for peace of mind. I'd go Sony or Pioneer. Philips ain't bad either.

Jus a word of advice, whatever you get, get a HD Ready TV...
This is becos it is very likely that dvd is going to be phased out soon and replaced by a new technology called BlueRay. Some countries are already using it. The thing about this BlueRay thing is that it is HD ready... next time all TVs will be HD Ready and the others will also be phased out. Technology is moving in this direction. So get a good HD ready TV now for the long run and you don't have to spend money again later on upgrade.

Stay away from Samsung. Their service and support sucks big time.
Their products are ok until you have a problem.

I rather pay more for peace of mind. I'd go Sony or Pioneer. Philips ain't bad either.

Err... I dunno about Philips TV but my experience with their LCD Monitors is enough to turn me off them completely regardless of what product. Their service and support sucks big time too! The worst of the worst that i've ever had!!! Until now, my monitor still has a dark patch on it but I've had enough of them that i'm not sending it back. That's how bad their service is! I'd rather put up with a dark patch on my monitor than put up with them!!!!!!!! :thumbsd:

Agree with Wuff...Phillips sucks big time!! my brand new DVD player went kaput in a month and i was climbing the walls trying to get their service to even respond!! totally off Phillips now and fervently spreading the "good" word!! :thumbsd:

Jus a word of advice, whatever you get, get a HD Ready TV...
This is becos it is very likely that dvd is going to be phased out soon and replaced by a new technology called BlueRay. Some countries are already using it. The thing about this BlueRay thing is that it is HD ready... next time all TVs will be HD Ready and the others will also be phased out. Technology is moving in this direction. So get a good HD ready TV now for the long run and you don't have to spend money again later on upgrade.

I believe you meant Full HD. Blu-Ray is Full HD (1080p) whereas HD-Ready is usually applied to 720p. If getting LCD TV, there are very few Full HD models below 42" and they are very expensive ($4k and above). IMHO, for now, HD-Ready (720p) TVs are good enough. By time Blu Ray becomes the standard in 4-5 years time, its time to buy a new TV anyway :sweat:

LCD TV have its merit. If you talk about Tech capabilities in term of resolution and power consumption, LCD TV shd be better. But plasma still leads in term of other major core performances.

Generally, LCD TV gives you very vivid and saturated colors, but vivid and saturation doesn’t mean lifelike and realistic. The color graduation is usually not too good. Skin tone, for example, tends to be harsh. There are also lesser detail in shadow area and more prone to hotspot, e.g., less ability to differentiate different shade of colour in the shadow area and highlights. Compare it to a plasma and CRT the difference is obvious. The contrast seems harsh, the white appear burn out and shadows seems just .. black.. at least in comparison with CRT and plasma.

Viewing angles wise, some new LCD panel claimed to have 160 or even 178 degrees viewing angles, the problem is they don’t tell you what is their tolerance level of measurement. Even for a newer high quality panel, the contrast level still drops noticeably if you move further away from the centre. Try do a side by side comparison with a plasma..

Also, LCD look cool with high resolution sources (if u stand and look at the screen right in the middle) but can look pretty bad and wash out with standard resolution materials like your day to day TV program. Jagged edges are obvious and contrast a bit weak.. You can try to switch your LCD monitor from it’s native resolution (say 1280 x 1024) to a lower resolution (say 800 x 600) and you can see that there is a big diff in terms of sharpness and clarity..

Anyway, since the TS is looking for a 32” flat panel TV, there’s no need to argue over the pros and cons of plasma vs LCD, cos I don’t think he can find one 32” plasma around. There are some 37” model, but the resolution is only SD 852 x480, too low and outdated for modern standard. The HD ready panel are usually those 42” models.
This is one disadvantage of plasma against LCD, it’s easier to make a high resolution LCD TV vs plasma, given a smaller screen size of say 42” & below, there r still no full hd plasma panel available. On the other hand, there are plenty of full HD LCD TV of various sizes in the market now. Another disadvantage abt plasma tv is that most of 42” HD ready model come with resolution like 1024 x 768, which is essentially a 4:3 size rather than a true 16:9 format. So the plasma TV have to do some scaling which may affect image quality.

At this moment, I still feel plasma more suitable for TV purposes, especially for bigger families where you have to watch from all direction, or where SD sources performances are not important to you.

:)

Really? I thot LCD always had better tech capabilities than Plasma. Only reason they were not popular until now was that beyond 32" there was a ghosting on LCD whereas plasmas had a clear image (ghosting trails is very pronounced in sporting events, e.g. in soccer the player will run a distance but you can still see his trail on ur LCD screen). However with new technology that eliminated this ghosting phenomenon it virtually revolutionalised LCD technology and finally LCDs were launched in large sizes like 37, 40, 42, 50 inches etc!!

But yeah plasmas are definitely cheaper than LCD's, so if budget is an issue then plasma is it. Whereas in terms of longetivity LCD's are a better choice. Also viewing angle i was told is wider on LCD, quite contrary to what you mentioned...my LCD (Samsung) has a 160degress clean viewing angle...very impressive.

Maybe TS can do a bit of reading on the web on this, loadsa nice reviews on both technologies available.

Cheers.

thanks to you guys for that very informative response.... now im hunting for any brand that can give me free xbox 360 :bsmilie: last time someguy offered me this package, if i remember correctly it was courts roadshow... i should have taken that D***ed good offer...:bsmilie:

I'm using Toshiba 32WL66W 32" LCD, if I compare to Samsung LA32S71B, I find Toshiba the image quality is better. Another good thing Toshiba screen is using hard panel.
Just my 2cents :)

Forgot to mention toshiba hv Live view 1 option, so when u watch 4:3 TV, you don't feel the picture being stretching too much

Status
Not open for further replies.