LCD PC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Oko, my current CRT PC Monitir is going all wonky on me so i reckon i would be in need for a new PC monitor pretty soon...

Looking for 17" LCD monitor for PC. Main criteria

1. Durability (i leave my system running almost 24/7)
2. Price (As cheap as possible)
3. Brand (No preference)

Any recommandations or lobangs? :dunno:

Cheers! :)

Wolfy, I just want to share this experience of mine. ;)

I had the same problem in December last year. I was about to get an Eizo 565 when I received timely advice on my real needs. I wanted a good monitor which should be at least a 17 inch with good display. After working out the cost/performance ratio, I went for a Sony G420 for $730.

No regrets for me; I'm still patiently waiting for a breakthrough in LCD technology.

Wah, police force pay a lot of money man!

Seriously, if you want it as a PC, buy the LCD. If you want it for pictures, CRTs are still better. And cheaper.

Get Samsung. Its cheap, stylish and good. Mine's a Syncmaster 753DX which I purchased for 200+. The LCDs are 500+. I also got a Samsung TV recently. I must be a real fan. Samsung's last quarter profits incidentally quadrupled over the previous. Amazing financial results in gloomy economic times.

Would suggest you go down to SLS and take a look at the multitudes of LCDs there.

For best color/sharpness, I hear that Sony & Philips are tops (of course Eizo would be the best, but since u did mention "as cheap as possible"..... Sharp and BenQ are also recommended.

For the best in image quality, get an LCD that has a DVI input (errr... needless to say, your graphics card also must have DVI output).

LCDs are right up there with CRTs now, IMHO, and the space saving/power savings are worth the small sacrifice (subjective) or perception that CRTs give better color/contrast, etc.

Don't go the AG way, when after buying humongous stonking 21-inch monitor, find cannot fit on his desk, and must buy keyboard tray, mouse holder, need desk extension and do room renovation .... /me duck away AG's cane .... and since he sit so near the monitor now, have permanent tan.

Originally posted by Darren
Don't go the AG way, when after buying humongous stonking 21-inch monitor, find cannot fit on his desk, and must buy keyboard tray, mouse holder, need desk extension and do room renovation .... /me duck away AG's cane .... and since he sit so near the monitor now, have permanent tan.

!@$@#$%@#% ;)

Mine's a 19 inch lah!

Originally posted by Darren

WAHAHAHA. ROFL.

Moral of the story? Maybe he should have made the small sacrifice and bought a 21" LCD instead.

ROFLSHMSH.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Wolfy, I just want to share this experience of mine. ;)

I had the same problem in December last year. I was about to get an Eizo 565 when I received timely advice on my real needs. I wanted a good monitor which should be at least a 17 inch with good display. After working out the cost/performance ratio, I went for a Sony G420 for $730.

No regrets for me; I'm still patiently waiting for a breakthrough in LCD technology.

You haven't told us what's with the Eizo that made you change your mind. :)

Regards
CK

Hmm...

thank you guys for all your advise. :) Well, after much consideration, maybe a CRT would serve my needs quite well.

Looks like a trip down to SLS in inevitable. :D

Cheers y'all! :)

I pondered long on whether to get an LCD for 300 more. But both would take up same amount of space as the extra space created by the LCD would be put to no use. So the extra 300 went into getting a scanner and other stuff. Also I get an extra 2inches for CRT. 17in LCD costs 900+.

Originally posted by maddog
Get Samsung. Its cheap, stylish and good. Mine's a Syncmaster 753DX which I purchased for 200+. The LCDs are 500+. I also got a Samsung TV recently. I must be a real fan. Samsung's last quarter profits incidentally quadrupled over the previous. Amazing financial results in gloomy economic times.

samsung monitor...the coating is lousy...one of my friend manage to "scrape" off a big piece of the coating just by gently wiping off the dust on the monitor, and the monitor was only a few mths old..

go get a 21" flat screen + matrox graphic card lar...

price for 21" CRT dropped a lot already....

but then u can get 2 x 19" CRT or even 4 x 17" CRT at that price.... :D

Originally posted by Wai

samsung monitor...the coating is lousy...one of my friend manage to "scrape" off a big piece of the coating just by gently wiping off the dust on the monitor, and the monitor was only a few mths old..

go get a 21" flat screen + matrox graphic card lar...

price for 21" CRT dropped a lot already....

but then u can get 2 x 19" CRT or even 4 x 17" CRT at that price.... :D

Don't have any problems with that. I've wiped the monitor with cleaning fluid.

Hey Maddog/Wai, thanks for the feedback.

Wai, is it an one off issue for the Samsumg monitor coating issue or are there alot more of the same incidents from other Samsung owners?

I am leaning towards a flatscreen CRT 17" and considering Samsung you see... Have to keep telling myself, don't get what i don't need. ;)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Hey Maddog/Wai, thanks for the feedback.

Wai, is it an one off issue for the Samsumg monitor coating issue or are there alot more of the same incidents from other Samsung owners?

I am leaning towards a flatscreen CRT 17" and considering Samsung you see... Have to keep telling myself, don't get what i don't need. ;)

should be only an isolated case

i have bought dozen of Samsung 753DX so far...they are for my friends when i assemble PCs for them

those are later batches and none of them complained

however the one that coating came off was the first few batches and luckily i am not the one who bought it.

I see i see... ok.

Thanks for the heads up then. :)

Looks like it's Samsung then... Just to check,
how much does a flat screen CRT cost?

One that is from Samsung i mean... :dunno:

I see i see... ok.

Thanks for the heads up then. :)

Looks like it's Samsung then... Just to check,
how much does a flat screen CRT cost?

One that is from Samsung i mean... :dunno:

$235 from cybermind.

Hmmmm.... sounds like a fair deal... anything cheaper than that? Heheh... :D Must be more economical in these times. ;)

very cheap already lar...last year, all these 17" CRT were abt $300+

Status
Not open for further replies.