LCD or Plasma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eejal

Deregistered
May 4, 2005
End of the Line
I'm pretty confused in choosing a new TV set. So what's this LCD and Plasma thingy? Can anyone advice me which is the better one? any recommended brand to consider?:embrass:

TIA..

I'm pretty confused in choosing a new TV set. So what's this LCD and Plasma thingy? Can anyone advice me which is the better one? any recommended brand to consider?:embrass:

TIA..

no such thing as which is better.they all have their own pros and cons.
get a plasma.
it's really way brighter than LCD.
i know because i got both.

LCD good for playing games(PS,xbox) cos it wont create burn marks.

What size u want? I think above 42" or 48" are all Plasma. Below: LCD TV. I choose LCD TV anytime! hehe

TIA..

Get LCD if u thinking of having high end out put to ur TV (HDMI). For now, get a 32 inches will do as new model, with 1080p support, is far too ex n those 37 to 40 inches one, price not right.
Plasma is cheaper n having a bigger viewing area but they does reflect ur surrounding alot. Therefore, you might be blind by your house light when watching at night.
Choice is urs, depend on ur budget too. ;)

42" and under: LCD. Uses less electricity, new ones are fast and bright, very reliable, won't burn-in or fade.

Over 42": Plasma. Waaaay cheaper than LCD at these sizes, but consumes more electricity, can get the burn-in effect and over time (5-7 years) will become dimmer and dimmer as the gas gets burned up. Look at the MRT announcement screens. Toa Payoh recently replaced one of the Plasma screens, and it's about twice as bright as the older ones, despite being the same model.

Plasmas are currently cheaper than an LCD for anything above 40". If you're looking for the smaller sizes, LCD is the way to go price wise. Plasmas have a higher contrast ratio compared to LCD and the fact that black is pure black make home theatre viewing nicer. Plasmas can suffer from burn-in if an image is always kept the same, eg. stock market ticker on bottom of screen. However there are screen savers to minimise this. Many plasma may not be HDTV ready, so be careful you don't buy an older model. Newer models should be HDTV ready. LCDs give nice colours and may be better for gaming. One thing to note is that power consumption for a plasma is typically 40% higher than an equvalent sized LCD. Plasma viewing angle is a little wider but there is a silly urban myth going round that plasmas not so suitable for kid's eyes???

OMG!! i didn't even have time to have my lunch and i found there's 5 replies? oh my!!

thanks so much guys.. appreciate your kind replies in here. my dad-in-law was thinking of getting a new TV cuz they're shifting house soon so in order to save space he decided to get this kind of TV. budgetwise, i'm pretty sure he's ok with anything i recommend one...heheh (considering he's downsizing his house from a 2 stry demi d to an EA)

i've heard abt this number of working hours for the LCD (or was it Plasma) before it get burnt...(or really?):eek:

and which one has the HD capabilities? what's so good abt HD? will it be a hit in the next 2-3 years? a brand new way to watch TV?:think:

i've heard abt this number of working hours for the LCD (or was it Plasma) before it get burnt...(or really?):eek:

and which one has the HD capabilities? what's so good abt HD? will it be a hit in the next 2-3 years? a brand new way to watch TV?:think:

It's plasma that has the burn-in.

HD is High-definition TV. It's going to be standard soon, and Starhub already has some HD channels. The world cup was broadcast in HD too. All new-model LCD TVs and Plasma TVs are HD-ready, though in general LCD TVs will be 1080i compliant while plasmas are usually only 720p compliant due to a lack of pixel resolution.

I have a hitachi plasma with my xbox 360 attached. Plasma 2 years, xbox 1 year already and no burn marks.

Try to audition the sony SXRD projection TV.

720P is quite high resolution already. BUT saying that I will probably get a 1080 panel like 3 years later, not now as still not worth the money.

Plasmas are currently cheaper than an LCD for anything above 40". If you're looking for the smaller sizes, LCD is the way to go price wise. Plasmas have a higher contrast ratio compared to LCD and the fact that black is pure black make home theatre viewing nicer. Plasmas can suffer from burn-in if an image is always kept the same, eg. stock market ticker on bottom of screen. However there are screen savers to minimise this. Many plasma may not be HDTV ready, so be careful you don't buy an older model. Newer models should be HDTV ready. LCDs give nice colours and may be better for gaming. One thing to note is that power consumption for a plasma is typically 40% higher than an equvalent sized LCD.

My suggestion is to go to shops like Best Denkki and compare. In general, Plasma behaves closer to CRT tv. If you are watching soccer or action, avoid the LCD.

currently i think starhub is the only one that offer HD channel... 2 channel oni tho if im not wrong. one of them is Nat Geo, can't remember the other one. :dunno:

Like to ask, will LCD TV have dead/bright pixel problem like LCD monitor or not? Do they usually give warranty on this problem?

Like to ask, will LCD TV have dead/bright pixel problem like LCD monitor or not? Do they usually give warranty on this problem?
yes it does... and because you're sitting quite some distance away from the screen you wun notice it anyway. and also the nature of TV is to produce moving images, 1 or 2 dead pixels wun be noticeable.

CRTs or 'old school TVs' also suffer from dead phosphors (the equivalent of dead pixels) though in a significantly lower probability.

Get the Pioneer PDP-5000EX after that you will not look at any others be it Plasma or LCD.

you own one bro? like to see the real thing man.. hehehe, was actually eyeing on this Samsung...hhmmm

Go and check out Mega at basement of Katong Mall. Prices are really good and they don't sell old models.

Recently, I've been looking at LCD TVs too, cos old one at home is konking out. Finally narrowed my choice of either a Sharp Aquos or Samsung R series. The Samsungs is the better in design but is quite pricey. Best value for money are the 32" ones, but you may find it a bit small.

i still prefer ol' sch CRTs, since i wont b sitting so near 2 QC d sharpness on moving image & no lag in reponse rate too! :lovegrin:

IMO CRTs lasts much longer than any slim screens. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.