LCD or LED Monitors

ShawnQuah

Apr 22, 2004
Hougang
Hi All

Can anyone advise is the new era of LED monitors good for photo editing?

I am intending to replace my good and faithful CRT monitor to one that "takes up less space"

Maybe u would like to consider IPS monitor?... Better than the 2 of them u mentioned.

U cn get 1 cheapest between 350 to 400 for a 21" from Dell.

Dell IPS screen for just $329? Their prices have really come down over the last few years...

Dell IPS screen for just $329? Their prices have really come down over the last few years...

It seems like only Dell have IPS panel. Don't seems to see any other IPS panel from other brand such as Samsung and LG.

most of the newer screens are in fact IPS panels now. samsung, LG, phillips, etc..

but not all IPS screens are created equal tho. a better choice will be the dell 2410 which is both affordable and good.

most of the newer screens are in fact IPS panels now. samsung, LG, phillips, etc..

but not all IPS screens are created equal tho. a better choice will be the dell 2410 which is both affordable and good.

:eek:
didnt noe that newer screens are IPS
I thought samsung dun produce IPS one...currently only IPS you can find in sls is from philips
its 24 inch and cost like 700+

I bought the U2410 just before the U2311 came out, from what you are saying, are you saying that the U2410 which cost double for 1" more is better than U2311?

From what I can see from the specs is that the res, response time, brightness and colours displayed ability is different. But is it worth the doubling in price?

I have the Dell 2407WFP Ultra sharp PVA screen brought 2 yrs ago. Compared to the current 2410 IPS screen, would there be any noticeable differences in IQ? Or should I look for the U2711 instead for the next step up?

I bought the U2410 just before the U2311 came out, from what you are saying, are you saying that the U2410 which cost double for 1" more is better than U2311?

From what I can see from the specs is that the res, response time, brightness and colours displayed ability is different. But is it worth the doubling in price?
Firstly i'm not aware of the U2311 nor have I personally seen and calibrated one. so I wont say anything about that. so dont put words into my mouth with your assumptions.

The U2410 have been proven to exhibit validated average delta Es of 0.5 and below at D50 so that's something I would stick with.

personally I'm still on a U2407 which gave the best balance between gamut and consistancy in my opinion.

The U2311 might be a good alternative but I've yet to test it.

Last edited:
I have the Dell 2407WFP Ultra sharp PVA screen brought 2 yrs ago. Compared to the current 2410 IPS screen, would there be any noticeable differences in IQ? Or should I look for the U2711 instead for the next step up?
if you can afford the 27 inchers, go for it.

I have both U2410 and 2407WFP-HC, no, you won't see noticeable IQ improvement. stick to your current 2407WFP but if you just wanna experience, U2410 is $629 with $100 discount.

U2410 is using H-IPS panel, U2311H is using a cut down, budget e-IPS panel. with the latter costing a mere $279, the 1" bigger U2410@$629 isn't so attractive. but you do get a better(IMO) aspect ratio of 16:10 than 16:9. the U2410 also offer more input options like dual DVI, HDMI, color component, etc.

:eek:
didnt noe that newer screens are IPS
I thought samsung dun produce IPS one...currently only IPS you can find in sls is from philips
its 24 inch and cost like 700+

you won't find Samsung LCD with IPS panel currently, Philips, Dell, HP and a few others brand do. the reason is quite simple, with Samsung and LG busy selling or BSing the false LED monitor, IPS panel is the last thing in their mind. ironically, the main IPS panel manufacturer for monitor come from LG display, formerly known as LG.Philips.

actually, only $279 with $50 coupon discount

I'll be getting the U2311H tomorrow evening, will give a subjective/non-scientific user feedback against my other monitor--Dell 2407WFP-HC, U2410, 2209WA and my LKK Sony G520.

Last edited:
Is there any IPS panel now tht supports colour gamut aRGB 1998 yet is LED? No $ for Lacie or NEC though :cry: I'm still using dinosaur Sony Trinitron G420. Is a T-Rex on computer table!!!

just some FYIs:

- technically, LED screens are actually screens composed of red, green, and blue LEDs, with a triplet of those forming one pixel... no LCD panel is involved... typically these are very large outdoor screens with high brightness, many of which are for advertising purposes, for distant viewing... when standing close, one can actually see with the naked eye the individual LEDs...

- what is normally in LCD monitors and TVs should be called LED-backlit LCD screens... as opposed to those backlit by flourescent tubes (CCFL)... that is, the LEDs are used as the source of light shinning through the LCD panel to form the image...

- LED-backlit does not automatically mean the colour is superior to CCFL-backlit monitors... some of those use "white" LEDs, which typically are blue LEDs with a yellow tint applied, and these tend not to be as good as quality CCFL-backlit monitors... the good LED-backlit ones are what are those that have red, green, and blue LEDs forming the backlight, and they are normally called RGBLED-backlit monitors...

-Samsung does not produce IPS screens... they produce their proprietary PVA screens, as well as TN screens...

U2410 is using H-IPS panel, U2311H is using a cut down, budget e-IPS panel. with the latter costing a mere $279, the 1" bigger U2410@$629 isn't so attractive. but you do get a better(IMO) aspect ratio of 16:10 than 16:9. the U2410 also offer more input options like dual DVI, HDMI, color component, etc.
I'll be getting the U2311H tomorrow evening, will give a subjective/non-scientific user feedback against my other monitor--Dell 2407WFP-HC, U2410, 2209WA and my LKK Sony G520.

the U2311H does look quite interesting... from the tech specs at least, compared to the U2410, it probably has a lesser backlight giving slightly smaller colour gamut (claimed 82% vs. 110% CIE 1976), and less bit-depth internal processing (claimed 16.7 million colors [8bit] vs. 1.07 billion colors [10bit])... taking marketing speak into account, YMMV between the two, but it is much cheaper and looks promising... hope to see your actual visual comparison

I tried visiting the shops at Funan to buy a Dell U2410... However, the shop only offers Dell Direct... ie no cash and carry

Does anyone know which shop I can go if I want to cash and carry a Dell Monitor?

the U2311H does look quite interesting... from the tech specs at least, compared to the U2410, it probably has a lesser backlight giving slightly smaller colour gamut (claimed 82% vs. 110% CIE 1976), and less bit-depth internal processing (claimed 16.7 million colors [8bit] vs. 1.07 billion colors [10bit])... taking marketing speak into account, YMMV between the two, but it is much cheaper and looks promising... hope to see your actual visual comparison

I have the U2410 and U2311H compare side by side, to my surprise--or horror cause U2410 cost more than double--the U2311H actually offer more natural color and completely free of pink tint. U2311H is using default Standard color mode and U2410 is using Adobe RGB. other modes are even worst. so much for the factory color calibrated cert. U2410 at its perfect condition should be better but seems their QC was taking a holiday as there are too many reports of pink tint issue that can't be solved.

I do not have a color calibrator but with my eyes trained by many top CRT--Sony G520, NEC FP2141, Mitsubishi diamondtron, etc and the color chart beside the monitors, the color U2311H just looks more natural or neutral.

U2311H's dull black frame with unsophisticated square base, no 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio scaling, not the smoothest text rendering, average contrast ratio--compare to VA panel but at a price of $279(before 27 may), these are just nitpicking. though I would hope Dell could introduce a budget IPS monitor with a "proper" 16:10 aspect ratio cause I really hate the 16:9 aspect ratio. :nono:

i just ordered the U2311H at $329.
didn't know there was a cheaper discounted price before 27 May. Nabay.
anyway I hope the colour fidelity will be there.