LCD monitors with only 18-bit colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
java_guru,

If you want the Samsungs, you can try the 710T for around $699. The P has a nicer design, that's all but I think it's the same panel. Both are 18-bit btw, but are one of the best looking 18-bit panels I've seen.

You can also consider the Eizo L568 17" at $899 during the last PC Show or a Sharp LL-19D1 19" at about $1k.

Of coz, if you really splurge for the Apple displays, you'll never need to look back again. :)

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Unfortunately Apple and other 20" LCDs cost too much. 1" more for double the price!

Apple's native res is what you want.. it's specs is high: 0.258-0.250 pixel pitch. 1680x1050/1920x1200/2560x1600. 250-270 cd/m^2 , 400"1 excellent viewing angle, 16ms response time... and USB and Firewire hub! And great look... ^^

Java_Guru said:
wah...Prices are the steepest. U got a set? I saw the sony's 19"too and wonder if they are any good. 1350 I believe.

when working with high res photo..i believe u want at least 1600 x 1200, however for LCD, only those above 20" can do (that's why the cost also twice as much for that 1" different), otherwise no point to get 19" since the number of pixel is same as 17", only differnet is the pixels are now bigger

23" apple HD display can do 1900 x 1200, that will be even better :D

This could be an alternative, if Dell decides to offer it here - Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw LCD

Same specs as Apple's 20-inch Cinema Display but much cheaper as it retails for US$799.

*hoping Dell Singapore will bring in*

For the premium price apple requests for its LCDs, I would think their bright and dead pixel policy would be the best in the market. It is not.

Imagine a red pixel in the middle of your 23 inch display.

Sigh. As such, although I willing to pay, this policy puts me off completely.

Eizo's policy is similar. If you have 1-2 bright dot out of the box, too bad, no change.

The best I've found so far is Sharp's. At that time, the salesperson was willing to guarantee zero bright dot out of the box and tested at the showroom. Though of course if bright dot appears later, it will be subject to the usual minimum number before you can RMA. My experience with notebook LCDs is that if its ok out of the box, then unlikely to develop bright dot.

Also, I've noted that most 'mainstream' manufacturers give zero bright dot warranties only for their cheaper models and not the more expensive ones.

Java_Guru said:
For the premium price apple requests for its LCDs, I would think their bright and dead pixel policy would be the best in the market. It is not.

Imagine a red pixel in the middle of your 23 inch display.

Sigh. As such, although I willing to pay, this policy puts me off completely.

not really... i have seen dead pixel on apple display before...and apple policy is no exchange unless more than 5 dead pixels

.my new ibook got a red pixel too...now u reminds me...

:angry: :angry: :angry:

anyway, in another forum someone has mentioned that he got 27 dead pixels on his new apple display...of cos immediate exchange without problem

Darren said:
This could be an alternative, if Dell decides to offer it here - Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw LCD

Same specs as Apple's 20-inch Cinema Display but much cheaper as it retails for US$799.

*hoping Dell Singapore will bring in*

hmmm that's US, in Japan it's JPY110,250 before tax, or something like SGD 1,753.31, so wonder how much it is in SG (if they do bring it in).

"The Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW is available today in the Americas, and will launch in other regions in the coming months."

Waiting for it... :p

I actually prefer CRTs for coloured critical work. now thinking of getting a large large CRT...anyone know the prices for like 21" and above and where to get?

AReality said:
no $, get a CRT then.
They work better than a LCD.

caseytan said:
should have no problems since new models comes with DVI
But as I understand it, they don't come with power supplies as on the Mac they are powered over the video cable from the computer. Apple's 'ADC' connector has power and USB on it as well as the DVI signals.

So to run one on a PC you need a DVI + power to ADC adaptor cable.
Such devices do exist.

I got a 2nd hand Apple 20" Cinema Display at only $1200, colors and contrast wise, it is simply superb, find it better than my Sony Trinitron CRT.

Wai said:
not really... i have seen dead pixel on apple display before...and apple policy is no exchange unless more than 5 dead pixels

.my new ibook got a red pixel too...now u reminds me...

:angry: :angry: :angry:

anyway, in another forum someone has mentioned that he got 27 dead pixels on his new apple display...of cos immediate exchange without problem

It depends actually. If the dead/ bright pixel is at/ very near the center of the screen, you can get most manufacturers to replace it. Just need to keep complaining till they do so.

IIRC, Apple ASD's actually use Samsung panels.

Don't forget that the ACD comes with firewire 400 and USB 2 hubs.

Any one for the Dell 2001FP? It is selling for $1300 locally.

I ordered one unit on Monday. It is a 24 bit color panel.

Wish me luck. :)

Java_Guru said:
Any one for the Dell 2001FP? It is selling for $1300 locally.

Java_Guru said:
I ordered one unit on Monday. It is a 24 bit color panel.

Wish me luck. :)

Panel has arrived and I did a brief test with Nokia monitor software. It passed with flying colors. No dead or bright pixels at all. Yahooo!!!!

Also for those considering, the pixels at 0.255 which is the smallest around. Even if u kerna, it is not too bad.

fyi. The price went up $5 yesterday. So strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.