LCD monitors from DELL....

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi all..... presently I'm using a LG 19" LCD - model L194W - for my PC.

I find that the LG have poor colour gamut..... and is presently thinking of changing to the Dell UltraSharp 2009W 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor ..... which has a colour gamut of 102%....

Dell UltraSharp 2009W 20" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Was wondering is anyone here using this monitor ?? Is it really good a colour prodution ?? Do anyone knows what is Dell policy on dead or stuck pixes on their LCD ?? Or better still..... a better Brand/Model at similar price.... :what:

Thxs for any info......

Dell Ultrasharp series are in general not a bad series. Have use their 20" 4:3 ratio for most of my office work. Like the fact that they have USB built within it. Colours reproduction are good, at least to my eyes, contrast is good too.

The 20" wide you speaking of should not be a bad buy. BUT, at that given price point, you might wan to consider getting a 22". Take a walk in Sim Lim Square, see the LCD and decide which one looks good?

Dell Ultrasharp series are in general not a bad series. Have use their 20" 4:3 ratio for most of my office work. Like the fact that they have USB built within it. Colours reproduction are good, at least to my eyes, contrast is good too.

The 20" wide you speaking of should not be a bad buy. BUT, at that given price point, you might wan to consider getting a 22". Take a walk in Sim Lim Square, see the LCD and decide which one looks good?

Thxs Bro....

Nowadays is so hard to get info from those LCD makers Website...... they just give you the usual stuff like contrast, viewing angel.... etc. When it comes to Colour Gamut or sharpness..... no info at all. :(

Thxs Bro....

Nowadays is so hard to get info from those LCD makers Website...... they just give you the usual stuff like contrast, viewing angel.... etc. When it comes to Colour Gamut or sharpness..... no info at all. :(
Not much help here so dun think I deserved the thanks.

Anyway, personally, I would give the Dell LCD a miss unless you are getting the 24" 2408. For that price range, a walk in SLS might turn out more fruitful then just asking around here. After all you can do comparsion when you are actually looking at the REAL stuff. Specs wise, take it with a pinch. On paper, some LCD might be so woo woo... but when you actually see it, it may be a boo boo.

IMHO, you can try looking at these LCD for a start
LG L226WTQ about $450
Samsung 226BW abt $420
Viewsonic VX2235WM abt $400

So do really go down and have a look. Choosing something like a LCD can be very subjective. My taste and ur taste can varies.

Read somewhere on the web that Dell give either a IPS or a PVA panel for the 20" LCD. And seems like very hard to know you which panel you will be getting.

I'm also looking for a 20" LCD and have narrowed my choice to NEC. Eizo is still out of my price range.

CHeck out the 2070nx or the 2090uxi.

http://www.nec.com.sg/ap/page.asp?id=150

Basically ...

TN LCD displays tend to be way cheaper than their IPS / PVA counterparts. But the drawback would be a slightly lower response time.

I'm currently using the Dell 2007 Ultrasharp and i'm very impressed and pleased with the results.

Basically ...

TN LCD displays tend to be way cheaper than their IPS / PVA counterparts. But the drawback would be a slightly lower response time.

I'm currently using the Dell 2007 Ultrasharp and i'm very impressed and pleased with the results.

It's more about viewing angle. TN currently has the fastest response time and highest backlight efficiency. But the top and bottom of the frame are never the same color :sweatsm:.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

The example is a bit exaggerated, but on a TN panel you're not likely to see a perfect blend while on IPS/PVA you will.

2408....Dell, colours are very neutral after calibration.

it is still too bright for my liking though...sigh..

but for its price, it is an excellent buy.

Another factor would be the colour depth since ( TN vs IPS / PVA Panels)

Have to agree the dells are a little bright.

what abt HP wide series? like w2207h?

Colour is my main concern...... if the LCD is unable to produces 'True' colour of the Photo I intended to PS..... I might get the tone wrong during print out. Which is why sharpness and colour is important to me.....

The headach I'm having now is that the Dell 2007W cost about the same as a 2nd hand EF 100mm Macro lens I found at a shop...... :( which one which one........ :confused:

i am very keen to purchase 2408 model

any bad reviews about the ghosting and banding yet? [besides those that i read from other online sources]

I have the 24" Dell and colours are nice. THe only bad point in my opinion (other than the overbright issue which wasmore or less resolved), is the very small pixel pitch. This results in very small fonts and displays when you run the screen at its native resolution.

The 27" has the same resolution with a larger physical size, therefore having a larger pixel pitch and more reader fonts/displays.

Pixel pitch or dot pitch some might call it actually is better.

Means the picture comes out finer and not coarse. Same like CRT days.

Would you buy a CRT monitor which is .28 dot pitch or .24 dot pitch?

I have a Benq FP231W. Still prefer 23" vs 24" which gives me a smoother/finer display.

diver-holc:
Then you gotta think which 1 you need more. Does your current monitor still lives up to its day to day job or there is colour washout? All IPS displays (not sure about PVA) display true 16.7 million colours vs TN panels.

That I suppose is a matter of the user's needs.

If my Arial 10 used to appear at 100% as say, X cm tall, with a higher dot/pixel pitch, the same word will appear at Y cm tall, where X > Y. Hence, smaller words overall.

Some say "use zoom lor" - but some webpages hardcode their font display and unless you use IE7, can't realyl zoom too (I'm stuck on IE6 cos I dont like IE7's menus). I'm still trying to find a page zoom software that can work with IE6 though - anyone knows?

Pixel pitch or dot pitch some might call it actually is better.

Means the picture comes out finer and not coarse. Same like CRT days.

Would you buy a CRT monitor which is .28 dot pitch or .24 dot pitch?

I have a Benq FP231W. Still prefer 23" vs 24" which gives me a smoother/finer display.

diver-holc:
Then you gotta think which 1 you need more. Does your current monitor still lives up to its day to day job or there is colour washout? All IPS displays (not sure about PVA) display true 16.7 million colours vs TN panels.

Hello all!

I wld like to clarify, for Dell ultrasharp monitors, there is dead pixel return policy (1 or more)! Not to mention the 30 days satisfaction policy.

Currently there is no way to tell what type of (IPS/PVA) panel u will be getting when you order it.

For more queries/questions you may PM me!

diver-holc:

My monitor could only display 8bit colour..... not the better 16bit. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.