LCD monitors advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexlab

Aug 2, 2008
With the coming PC show, i'm thinking of getting an LCD monitor to do editing. I'm not a pro so I don't have a pro's budget. Any of you guys have any recommendations on which monitors are good and give accurate colours? I know calibration is still needed but it would be best if I didn't need to get a calibrator to save costs.

Also, samsung has a range of new LCD monitors that has an in built monitor calibrator. Anyone has any idea whether is there a difference between their in-built calibrator and those u buy off the shelves?

Thanks for ur feedbacks in advance!:)

What's your budget limit?

If your budget is tight, you might consider the Dell 2209wa. I recently bought one and it is the best monitor I've ever owned. For the price, you simply could not do better. Search on Google and read some reviews. Bonus: You can calibrate this monitor with a Spyder2 Express (about $60 on Amazon).

Last edited:
actually looking at 20-22" tops. budget about 400. any recommendations?

recently purchased philips 240pw, really great (ips panel, very good color accuracy) although the price is around 700.

is the 20"-22" inch versions just as good?

Yep...definitely. At least from what I read from the reviews lah. I never used one because quite ex i think.

The 22" is about 500 bucks or so. PC show may be selling...I don't know.

BTW, if you are going to PC show to check let me know hor!! LOL I want to know the price....see if my wallet can take it...

I'm not promoting any brands.. Just listing the prices and models.

Samsung 2233SW 21.5" LCd - $248

Philips 225B|CB 22" LCD - $333

Philips 221E1HSB 21.5" LCD - $269

Philips 220CW9FB 22" LCD - $289

Philips 220SW9FB 22" LCD - $259

Philips 220BW9CB 22" LCD - $289

for $400 you could get the Dell 24" Full HD monitor. They are really excellent for their price, the only calibration needed is to turn the brightness down from the factory setting. Highly Recommended!

for $400 you could get the Dell 24" Full HD monitor. They are really excellent for their price, the only calibration needed is to turn the brightness down from the factory setting. Highly Recommended!
What model is this? Is this a IPS panel monitor? There is a big difference between IPS panel and TN panel monitor. HD doesn't mean suitable for photo editing work.

I know calibration is still needed but it would be best if I didn't need to get a calibrator to save costs.
Also, samsung has a range of new LCD monitors that has an in built monitor calibrator. Anyone has any idea whether is there a difference between their in-built calibrator and those u buy off the shelves?

Calibration is always needed because no monitor manufacturer will know what kind of graphics card, cable connection or operating system you will use - but these components will affect the colour reproduction. I haven't seen the results from built-in calibration devices but the basic principles of calibration is that the system is examined from the outside, also considering ambient light conditions (e.g. Spyder3). Such external device can also be used for other monitors (e.g. dual monitor setup).

actually looking at 20-22" tops. budget about 400. any recommendations?

Bought a Samsung 23.6" full HD wide screen for $398 from Challenger and the sharpness really stunned me. Always thought my shots weren't sharp enough until I got this monitor. Model is SyncMaster 2494HS.

Its money worth for me IMO.

Thanks for the recommendation on Dell 2209WA. Just ordered online. Think it is a steal at SGP$349, including GST.

where did u order it from? couldnt find it on the dell sg website..

***oh wait... found it..***

Thanks for the recommendation on Dell 2209WA. Just ordered online. Think it is a steal at SGP$349, including GST.

hmm..i saw the dell. think the response time is abit slow..6ms. Would like something that can use for gaming too. haha...like 2ms! :bsmilie:

hmm..i saw the dell. think the response time is abit slow..6ms. Would like something that can use for gaming too. haha...like 2ms! :bsmilie:

Well, can't have the best of both worlds. IPS panel, unlike TN panel, are known to be slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.