Lcd Monitor or lcd tv?

mabmy

Jan 19, 2009
Simei
Hey everyone, I've got a free 22" lg full hd lcd tv recently, would this be a good replacement for my current lcd monitor for photo editing as in, will calibration still be required and if this even recommended compared to using a pc monitor. Thinking of replacing one of my dual monitor with this freebie. Thanks for any advices given. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I've got a free 22" lg full hd lcd tv recently, would this be a good replacement for my current lcd monitor for photo editing as in, will calibration still be required and if this even recommended compared to using a pc monitor. Thinking of replacing one of my dual monitor with this freebie. Thanks for any advices given. :)

I don't see why not. :dunno:
Im sure you'll need to calibrate it anyways as default factory settings are almost always fugly.
*much envy*

Ha Ha i just worried cannot use it for photo editing because its a tv, not monitor which are specially designed for computing purposes. Scared later got color problems like cannot be calibrated or something like that.

ooooh. If your GFX card can support TV out then i don't think got issue ba.

Be aware that an LCD TV is NOT a replacement for a good monitor. LCD TVs have a lower resolution and larger pixels than a standard PC LCD screen.

Be aware that an LCD TV is NOT a replacement for a good monitor. LCD TVs have a lower resolution and larger pixels than a standard PC LCD screen.

Well he did say it was a full HD lcd tv. 1920x1080 sounds good for 22".

Well he did say it was a full HD lcd tv. 1920x1080 sounds good for 22".

You need to be very careful. Not all brands are really "full HD" even if they say they are, and may have a different resolution for PC input (unless it's via HDMI interface).

You need to be very careful. Not all brands are really "full HD" even if they say they are, and may have a different resolution for PC input (unless it's via HDMI interface).

ehehe he's already got the tv. If it doesn't, he can always switch it back to his old monitor. Provided he hasn't thrown it away. :bsmilie:

Hey bros, well the tv has a single hdmi input but my gfx doesn't have one, i however am using a dvi-hdmi cable to connect from my gfx to my current monitor. So wondering if i were to do the same thing would it be recommended. :)

Full HD or not, Full HD just means it has a built in tuner ready for HD content, HD Ready lacks and needing an external HD tuner. But that aside, dedicated LCD monitors can offer much higher resolution beyond the 1920/1080p of most current HDTVs. There are various 2560 x 1600 options for LCD monitors for instances

ryan

Full HD or not, Full HD just means it has a built in tuner ready for HD content, HD Ready lacks and needing an external HD tuner. But that aside, dedicated LCD monitors can offer much higher resolution beyond the 1920/1080p of most current HDTVs. There are various 2560 x 1600 options for LCD monitors for instances

ryan

The difference between HD Ready and Full HD is not whether there is a build-in HDTV tuner. In fact most Full HD TV do not have a HDTV tuner build-in.:nono:

The difference is Full HD TV can display the full resolution of a HD signal while a HD Ready TV may not.

I think you are rite.

The difference between HD Ready and Full HD is not whether there is a build-in HDTV tuner. In fact most Full HD TV do not have a HDTV tuner build-in.:nono:

The difference is Full HD TV can display the full resolution of a HD signal while a HD Ready TV may not.

im currently using a samsung 32 inch lcd TV as a TV and as a monitor. it has a didicated pc vga and hdmi connector. currently i connect via the vga connector and the max resolution i can set is 1360 x 768 (using an old Nvidia 9300GE).

color is similar to my old 19 inch lcd monitor which is side-by-side with this lcd tv as it is connected to another pc.
i currently do all my PS editing, autocad, as well as gaming on the 32 inch samsung as it gives me literally "bigger view".

Hi,
One of the most expensive parts of the system? A 3ft HDMI cable cost $70. And that was the cheaper one that Kate found after the salesperson got us the "basic" Monster cable that was $140! A cable that costs more than a DVD player.

China smartphones

@mabmy - dvi-to-hdmi is lossless... both signals are pure digital, so if you connect your gfx card to your lcd via this cable, you are all ok

and honestly, don't waste time on any hdmi cable that costs more than 20-25 bucks for 1.5 m length...

the thing with digital cable is that either it will transmit the data or it wont... there is no degradation... so there is no point in buying those super gas filled gold plated cables from a company that shares its name with a cartoon movie