LC1 advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swifty

Oct 12, 2004
davophoto.wordpress.com
Hi.. I wanted to buy a Panasonic DMC-LC1 in Singapore, which from what I've gathered on the net, is a pretty good place to buy 4 this particular model. Anyways i was wondering whether any1 could help me with a couple of queries:
1) recommendations of some reputable shops that are located fairly centrally. I think Alan Photo and Cathay Photo seems to b mentioned quite frequently as reputable and have good prices.
2) product availability - r they usually in stock or do I need to make advance arrangements since I won't be in Singapore very long
3) Should I try to bargain there or get in contact with the shops prior and arrange for pricing. I think it should be roughly $1600 SGD (not sure inc GST or not but since I'm a traveller, 80% of the GST gets refunded doesn't it??) for the full kit incl the MC lens protector and remote shutter release.
4) Do I get charged more to pay with credit card?
5) Does the LC1 come with international warranty and how long?? I live in Australia.
Any help would be appreciated!!
tq!!!

(1) Alan Photo is quite good depending on the salesman you are dealing with. Service at Cathay Photo is gererally more consistent regardless of salesmen. You can also try Parisilk Electronics & Computers Pte Ltd at Holland Village. Their prices are very competitive and can be even better than either of the above stores for certain products. But do note that they always quote without GST and at cash terms (meaning that they charge 2% more for credit cards).

(2) I think stock is usually available for this model as demand is not high amongst locals. But you can always check with these dealers via e-quotes or emails just before coming. Web-site of Parisilk is http://www.parisilk.com
The others you probably already know from your browsing at this forum.

(3) I think that at $1,600 the price is probably without GST. You can try your luck at bargaining at the shop as long as you know the best price you can get for this camera. I thought that the 5% GST is fully refundable for tourist... less some administrative charges perhaps. The full kit includes the MC lens protector and remote shutter release.

(4) Some shops do charge about 2% more for credit card payment. Cathay Photo does not from my experience. Just make sure that you know whether the price quoted is with or without GST and whether there's any additional charge for CC payment before committing yourself on the purchase.

(5) The LC1 does come with international warranty for tourists (1 yr for parts and 90 days for labour).

Thanks for the reply. That certainly does clear up a few things for me.
One more question if I may, is it generally the case that cameras go on sale significantly during the xmas season since I will b transitting thru sg again jz b4 xmas. Of course I'd rather have the camera sooner rather than later but if there's gonna b significant savings then I might wait. But my guess is that any savings will be fairly marginal.
Regards!

swifty said:
Thanks for the reply. That certainly does clear up a few things for me.
One more question if I may, is it generally the case that cameras go on sale significantly during the xmas season since I will b transitting thru sg again jz b4 xmas. Of course I'd rather have the camera sooner rather than later but if there's gonna b significant savings then I might wait. But my guess is that any savings will be fairly marginal.
Regards!

The thing is that sales during X'mas season usually covers the more popular models and are offered by large departmental stores which tend to sell at retail prices or by the makers themselves. Shops that sell cameras at discounted prices are not likely to give much further discounts.

The LC1 is very much a 'niche' camera and most likely would not be much cheaper even in a sale.

Another thing to note is that December is 'bonus' month for many Singaporeans. People here therefore have spare cash to spend on such goodies during this period and there might just be a run on cameras that are in demand (again not that the LC1 is in demand, but you'll never know).

Status
Not open for further replies.