Latest K-x Single/Dual Kit SG local store prices against USA online store prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircam

May 21, 2007
I phoned Alan Photo (Funan) and was quoted the following (on 2nd January 2010):

K-x dual lens kit (DA L 18-55mm & DA L 50-200mm): SG $1250

K-x dual lens kit (DA L 18-55mm & DA L 55-300mm): SG $1398 (rounded off to $1400)

Then...

I subsequently did some scouting around some popular USA online stores (on 2nd January 2010) and discovered the following:

K-x single lens kit (with DA L 18-55mm) USA online price is SG $55 more expensive than SG local store price, and that too without SG warranty. So it makes very good sense to buy this kit from SG itself.

K-x dual lens kit (DA L 18-55mm & DA L 50-200mm) USA online price is SG $180 cheaper than SG local price, but keep in mind that there is no local SG warranty. So what do you guys think? Would it be wise to buy it from a USA online store without local SG warranty?

K-x dual lens kit (DA L 18-55mm & DA L 55-300mm) USA online price is SG $300 cheaper than SG local price, but keep in mind that there is no local SG warranty. So what do you guys think? Would it be wise to buy it from a USA online store without local SG warranty?

Special Note: The black, white, red and navy blue kits cost the same at some places whereas at other places white and red kits cost about SG $50 more.

Any ideas/suggestions from anyone? What would you guys do if you were in my place and desired a K-x colored body with dual lens kit?

Last edited:
What I could remember is that dual kit k-x only applies for the black. other colors otherwise is single lens kit only. need to check from emjay. :)

you're absolutely correct. only the 18-55mm lens has the matching color at present - for red and white sets only. this is currently applicable to singapore. in japan, however, many other color combos are possible, but at extra cost.

Last edited:
1. buy locally can try hands on, make sure no problems, get freebies, walk out of the shop and start snapping. buy from overseas must wait a few weeks for it to arrive at your doorstep and every day you will be checking the UPS tracking website, like i did!

2. if you buy from USA you can request for a international warranty card which might get you warranty coverage in singapore, if emjay honours international warranty. last i checked in april it did, but i don't know about now.

3. have you included the shipping cost and GST levied on packages worth over S$400? it might negate the savings you get from ordering online.

4. support the local distributor and the singapore economy :thumbsup:

Hi,

Just to share you can get pentax dual kit(50-300mm) from amazon at US$650 inclusive of shipping to US address.

Just register for borderlinx for US address and then they will deliver to Singapore.

Total charges will be est S$1010 for standard or S$1040 for express delivery.

I used their online total cost calculator.. If it's accurate, then I guess it worth it IMO.

http://www.borderlinx.com/m/total-cost-calculator
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Hi,

Just to share you can get pentax dual kit(50-300mm) from amazon at US$650 inclusive of shipping to US address.

Just register for borderlinx for US address and then they will deliver to Singapore.

Total charges will be est S$1010 for standard or S$1040 for express delivery.

I used their online total cost calculator.. If it's accurate, then I guess it worth it IMO.

http://www.borderlinx.com/m/total-cost-calculator
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Anyone had dealt with borderlinx before? how was the service?

yup... i included US $40 for 3 to 7 days priority shipping to Singapore and also included GST at 7% on total cost of kit + shipping. i even included the cost of the freebies for the comparison (i.e. 8 GB CLASS 6 SG $35 and SANYO ENELOOP 4xAA set with quick charger $40).

My above calculation is therefore all inclusive to allow for a proper realistic comparison. Hope I have not left out or overlooked anything! :D

BTW... I used Amazon for the above comparison.

Last edited:
There is also http://www.bundlebox.com/ ... a similar service, I think. Anyone here used this site before?

EDIT: Sorry... just realized that BundleBox does not ship to Singapore currently.

Last edited:
Something seems wrong with the prices Alan Photo quoted to you. $300 difference for the 50-200mm seems excessive. $450 more for the 55-300mm a bit more reasonable. Might want to check against another shop.

Something seems wrong with the prices Alan Photo quoted to you. $300 difference for the 50-200mm seems excessive. $450 more for the 55-300mm a bit more reasonable. Might want to check against another shop.

Thanks for pointing this out! I double-checked with these two stores below... and here is the info I got today for K-x Dual Kit Lens (2nd Jan 2010)

MS COLOR - AMK Central Ave - 50-200mm @ $1199 & 55-300mm @ $1399. Same freebies, but SDHC is Kingston 8 GB Class 4. Alan Photo gives the same freebies but Class 6.

ORIENT PHOTO - Sim Lim Sq - 50-200mm is not in stock. Stock is expected next week, so no quote was given today & 55-300mm @ $1350. Same freebies, but SDHC is 8 GB Class 4. Alan Photo gives the same freebies but a Kingston 8 GB Class 6 SDHC.

I can always push them to upgrade to a Class 6, so that is not a problem!

Heh! So a $50 pricing variation between these shops is in effect at the moment!!

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this out! I double-checked with these two stores below... and here is the info I got today for K-x Dual Kit Lens (2nd Jan 2010)

MS COLOR - AMK Central Ave - 50-200mm @ $1199 & 55-300mm @ $1399. Same freebies, but SDHC is Kingston 8 GB Class 4. Alan Photo gives the same freebies but Class 6.

ORIENT PHOTO - Sim Lim Sq - 50-200mm is not in stock. Stock is expected next week, so no quote was given today & 55-300mm @ $1350. Same freebies, but SDHC is 8 GB Class 4. Alan Photo gives the same freebies but a Kingston 8 GB Class 6 SDHC.

I can always push them to upgrade to a Class 6, so that is not a problem!

Heh! So a $50 pricing variation between these shops is in effect at the moment!!

Just to share with everyone that I have ordered the 55-300 dual kit last week via Amazon and although they mentioned that the stocks is only available in 1-2 mths, my item has been shipped last Friday!

I am using borderlinx to get this ship so all in all it'd be about SGD1050. Bear in mind you need to spend abt $40 to get the eneloop rechargeable batteries and about $30-40 on a 8gb sdhc.

You'll be saving about $250! Will let you guys know if the item ship w/o any problems. I am expecting my items to arrive middle this month:)

Amazon shows the 55-300 dual kit at US$799, that's over S$1120 without shipping and GST.
Did you get the kit with the 50-200mm instead? US$637.5 becoming S$1050 sounds more correct.

Amazon shows the 55-300 dual kit at US$799, that's over S$1120 without shipping and GST.
Did you get the kit with the 50-200mm instead? US$637.5 becoming S$1050 sounds more correct.

Wierd! I saw it at US $644 yesterday! Today I see it at US$799! Whoa!!

Last edited:
I am expecting my items to arrive middle this month:)

I won't be surprised if you receive your package quite some days before the middle of this month! :cheergal:

Last edited:
I won't be surprised if you receive your package quite some days before the middle of this month! :cheergal:

Seriously I am curious why Amazon is pricing this kit at such a good price. Pricing error maybe?

Seriously I am curious why Amazon is pricing this kit at such a good price. Pricing error maybe?

Yes... too good to be true! I was wondering the same exact thing!! Most other sites list at about $799 plus / minus a few dollars.

Their pain! Your gain!! Assuming you got it at near about the same price!! :)

Very strange indeed. There are now 2x "Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black)" in my Amazon cart, one priced at US$643.99 and one at US$799.00

Very strange indeed. There are now 2x "Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black)" in my Amazon cart, one priced at US$643.99 and one at US$799.00

Don't waste time. Get the US$643.99 NOW!!

Aaaaarggghhhh! But this one is only available in BLACK!!!! Not again!!!! This same thing happened to me the very first time. Only black was available then (colored bodies hadn't even come in as yet) and I bought it in spite of so much desiring a colored body. Sold it subsequently since colored bodies came into Sg and I hadn't the opportunity to use it much due to work... but now here I am again wanting to take advantage of the U.S. pricing for a dual lens kit available in black only. Grrrrr.... this is reaaaalllly FRUSTRATING... big time!!!!!

Last edited:
Nothing a can of spray paint can't fix :D

Status
Not open for further replies.