Latest D800 photos by a European photographer

wow, ISO 6400 pukes on my D700 ISO 3200...

the size of the raw file is ................

the size of the raw file is ................

Yah, will get normal in future when:

Hard disk becomes cheaper
Fast computer becomes cheaper in general
Large and fast cards becomes cheaper too

The value of D800 will surface then, but for now, the files are too big for some type of shooting.

...or just don't go shooting 1500 images per session. Think carefully, shoot deliberately. I remember a time when 36 exposures were a LOT to me.

san2001 said:
...or just don't go shooting 1500 images per session. Think carefully, shoot deliberately. I remember a time when 36 exposures were a LOT to me.

But clients these days expects a lot more than a hundred plus exposures. When 10 rolls of film was sufficient, it can be handled with a single memory card nowadays, and maybe even more..

I personally confess shooting abt 1.4k exposures over the last wedding I shot. Out of those, 300 to 400 (including backup safety shots) were group photos that were inevitable. The rest of the one thousands were prep and gate crash photos mainly. Which made up at least 700+ retrying many times to get the best natural expressions by bride, groom, brothers, sisters and family members.

I dun think I can do the job if I were to use film....

san2001 said:
You could try NEF 14 bit, compressed and even shoot at 1.2x crop mode. The file sizes are far lower.

Changing cropped factor is out of question, defeats the purpose of getting FX. I have decided to shoot in 12bit looseless compression :) which is the usual way how I do it in my current camera. Haha

Well, changing crop factor is fine IMO for portraiture. For group shots and environmentals, yes. You would need the full width of FX.
Also, I don't really like to use 12 bit NEF anymore. If you're going to do post, the additional headroom offered by 14 bit is very significant.

san2001 said:
Well, changing crop factor is fine IMO for portraiture. For group shots and environmentals, yes. You would need the full width of FX.
Also, I don't really like to use 12 bit NEF anymore. If you're going to do post, the additional headroom offered by 14 bit is very significant.

No choice... At 32GB, @ 14bit, it will only gives me 300+ exposures.. Very inconvenient if I have to carry 4 sets of memory card.

No choice... At 32GB, @ 14bit, it will only gives me 300+ exposures.. Very inconvenient if I have to carry 4 sets of memory card.

How large are 4 sets of memory cards? For my photography trips, I carry 2 DSLR bodies (one for backup), 6-8 CF/SD cards, 2 portable Harddisks, 1 laptop, 3 zoom lenses, 2-4 prime lenses, and not to mention 1-2 tripods. Of all the items, the CF/SD cards the smallest and lightest of them all!

Tachyon said:
How large are 4 sets of memory cards? For my photography trips, I carry 2 DSLR bodies (one for backup), 6-8 CF/SD cards, 2 portable Harddisks, 1 laptop, 3 zoom lenses, 2-4 prime lenses, and not to mention 1-2 tripods. Of all the items, the CF/SD cards the smallest and lightest of them all!

That's some serious equipment.

just why is everyone going bonker over cloud computing? camera->wifi->
hotspot->mobile phone->cloud storage

IMHO, prob 16/32gb is sufficient in a camera while the rest all push to the cloud storage

my 2 cents worth of thought.

It's not the size that matters, it's the organization, the hassle of changing and the initial cost of the memory cards that makes it ridiculous to shoot in 14bit.

32GB gives 300+ shots. With a conservative counts of abt 1.2k shots for the entire event. Assuming u shoot from morning to lunch reception with no breaks to download, u need abt 2 cards for the entire morning and another 2 for the evening. That's 4 cards already. If each piece is abt $120 (CF 400x cards), u are carrying abt $480 worth of memory cards with u for a shoot. Besides the impressive bro who brought so many items for a shoot, have anyone brought so much for memory card? I'm shooting in backup mode, which needs another 4 piece of SD cards. Which brings me to abt $720 of memory ards with me... Which is quite a lot of money on storage alone...

Plus u need to worry abt organizing them and such. My current setup only requires two set of 16GB cards to survive thr the entire day...

alextgm said:

IMHO, prob 16/32gb is sufficient in a camera while the rest all push to the cloud storage

Are u able to do that while shooting events? Are u sure ur wifi or 3G won't fail you everytime?

Until you can't push, then you're just stuck halfway up the creek without a paddle..

no flash?