Last Light

snowfox85

Aug 19, 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66951331@N05/6130682310/

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
overall composition of the pic, exposure. tried to choose a less distracting section to take as there are alot of trees along that stretch of road.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
better composition, better colour effect of the sky, making viewer to feel like sitting down and see the sun set all the way

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken just before i was knocking off from my work. could feel the sun's heat and the night breeze together while sitting at the bench and having a puff.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
tried to put together the clouds, the sky's gradient colour and the sun. but now it seems like lost focus. just felt something is missing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66951331@N05/6130682310/

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
overall composition of the pic, exposure. tried to choose a less distracting section to take as there are alot of trees along that stretch of road.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
better composition, better colour effect of the sky, making viewer to feel like sitting down and see the sun set all the way

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken just before i was knocking off from my work. could feel the sun's heat and the night breeze together while sitting at the bench and having a puff.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
tried to put together the clouds, the sky's gradient colour and the sun. but now it seems like lost focus. just felt something is missing

You should insert the image here leh, instead of leaving just a URL.
There are instructions at the top part of this page.

Last edited:

IMG_5912 by Steven Snowfox, on Flickr

sorry for my bad for just leaving the url here. jus tested in the test area, should be able to see now =)

Seems like a nice shot, the clouds are beautiful! :)

The black foreground is a tad distracting, though, cause it kinda cuts your main subject of focus, which I suppose would be the tree, short.
I'm not sure what to focus on, the tree infront, the tree at the back, the sun, or the clouds. Seems like a bit of a cluster there.

I would try getting a sunburst effect on the sun to make it stand out a little more, but that's just me.
:)

sorry for my bad for just leaving the url here. jus tested in the test area, should be able to see now =)

There really isn't a strong 'subject' to me.
The setting sun is kinda hidden over there, so it seems to me like the tree in the center is the main subject... but yet it's not really dominant, since it occupies barely half the frame. The sky and clouds are interesting, but not VERY interesting.

Seems like a nice shot, the clouds are beautiful! :)

The black foreground is a tad distracting, though, cause it kinda cuts your main subject of focus, which I suppose would be the tree, short.
I'm not sure what to focus on, the tree infront, the tree at the back, the sun, or the clouds. Seems like a bit of a cluster there.

I would try getting a sunburst effect on the sun to make it stand out a little more, but that's just me.
:)

i see. thanks pyxis for ur comments. was trying to focus on e sky with e sun. trying to shoot landscape but too many lamp post at my point so end up tried this view and end up with this pic. can elaborate more on sunburst effect? still noob here =D

There really isn't a strong 'subject' to me.
The setting sun is kinda hidden over there, so it seems to me like the tree in the center is the main subject... but yet it's not really dominant, since it occupies barely half the frame. The sky and clouds are interesting, but not VERY interesting.

i see. thanks ZerocoolAstra for comment. so this case, if i were to crop in such a way tat the tree is in e whole frame, will e composition be better? if to make e tree as subject

i see. thanks pyxis for ur comments. was trying to focus on e sky with e sun. trying to shoot landscape but too many lamp post at my point so end up tried this view and end up with this pic. can elaborate more on sunburst effect? still noob here =D

you can get it with small apertures (large F numbers), have a go;)

i see. thanks ZerocoolAstra for comment. so this case, if i were to crop in such a way tat the tree is in e whole frame, will e composition be better? if to make e tree as subject

I'm looking at the photo and thinking how it can be improved compositionally, but am drawing a blank.
Apologies for that. Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion.

If you crop a lot off the top, you end up with a more squarish composition. Would that be your preference?

I'm looking at the photo and thinking how it can be improved compositionally, but am drawing a blank.
Apologies for that. Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion.

If you crop a lot off the top, you end up with a more squarish composition. Would that be your preference?

nah.. not tat kind of preference. tried tat after replying u last night. anyway, thanks still :)

A strong subject can anchor the foreground. This is simply a silhouetted subject which doesn't provide anything interesting nor add value to the overall image.

You can find a tree against the sun in many places, this is an image of a common sight, so if it is common, how are you going to interest the viewer into looking at your image? I do agree with ZCA that it is difficult. Unless you can think very creatively, maybe possible, i don't know. What you can do is to try different angles that u can think of. Just to add, I wouldn't take this shot though.

A strong subject can anchor the foreground. This is simply a silhouetted subject which doesn't provide anything interesting nor add value to the overall image.

You can find a tree against the sun in many places, this is an image of a common sight, so if it is common, how are you going to interest the viewer into looking at your image? I do agree with ZCA that it is difficult. Unless you can think very creatively, maybe possible, i don't know. What you can do is to try different angles that u can think of. Just to add, I wouldn't take this shot though.

noted. thanks moving chair :)

I'm thinking that you can actually make the apparent subject stand out more by going lower. This looks like it was taken from eye level, perspective is a very strong tool to isolate things. If you go lower, you will get a more distinct tree against the sky.. While it may still not be the most compelling picture of all time, I'd wager there would be some improvement in the picture.

That said, I agree that from what I see in the picture, there is limited scope to make this very interesting. But naturally it's hard to say.

I'm thinking that you can actually make the apparent subject stand out more by going lower. This looks like it was taken from eye level, perspective is a very strong tool to isolate things. If you go lower, you will get a more distinct tree against the sky.. While it may still not be the most compelling picture of all time, I'd wager there would be some improvement in the picture.

That said, I agree that from what I see in the picture, there is limited scope to make this very interesting. But naturally it's hard to say.

Aye. Thanks ed for e tips. Will try this out but definitely will change the location to take the pic. :)

Nope, doesn't work for me. The subject is lacking, the sunset is too low to make a good impression. The clouds ain't exactly nice to look it. IMHO this picture tells nothing, it's nonetheless just a normal silhouette image only.