Last kampong in Singapore - HDR

l3oxkh

Jan 26, 2010
4660935726_b0025462a4_b.jpg

Hi

Went to lorong Bunagkok for a few shots. Waited for the sun to set and took the picture.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition, whether if the use of HDR technique is purposeful.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- To give a good feel to the environment

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- Just before the sun is setting

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- I believe love the place there. How different is the place compared to the urban city of Singapore. Love the idea of a hidden civilization in the mid of all urban developments.

Wish to learn more from the peeps here!

simplify your photo.

this looks like a snapshot to me.

i dun know which is your subject?

1. the tree in the center?
2. the zinc roof top?
3. the hat on your right?
4. the blue roof top house behind the center tree?

The tones are dull towards the left side of the image.. For composition, what are you trying to achieve in the photo? The major distraction is the zinc roof on the left. From what i see, this photo is depicting a tree in the middle of the "kampong". And, a HDR (High Dynamic Range), is meant to balance exposure between land and sky. The foreground is still quite underexposed. Work on preventing distractions in your future shots.

i think u're angle an composition is a bit off.... should use more of the sunset since u actually waited for it....
anyway good enthusiasm....

Other than the composition, I didn't like the processing. The left of the sky seems way underexposed compared to the right side, and there is little transition and very imbalanced so it's very jarring and spoils the image.

Composition - no distinct subject, no purpose. Off-angle/point of view.

HDR technique - This looks like jus come straight out from the HDR process, without further enhancing. Programs is created by man, hence had it's own formula in processing pictures. There are HDR attributes that u can play with, but, some photos just aren't good enough to be recognized by the machine to produce the ouput we want. You have to further explore in other techniques of PP, to understand what combinations work best produce good pictures. Selection tool is a tedious, yet effective tool in PP.

Overall, u still need to get a good composition b4 u can enhance with PP.

Anyway, cheers for bringing back the memories of kampong days, was this taken in Ubin?

cant see the sunset. shed on bottom left is too distracting.

the photo look underexposed on my monitor.

looks ok. but i dont see much of a "kampong". if ts had re-positioned himself more to the right (about 2m), he would have a better shot.

since its the last kampong, i must go and visit that place!

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
- Composition, whether if the use of HDR technique is purposeful.

As pointed out by quite a lot, composition-wise, the photo shows nothing of the "last kampong in Singapore". I think, keep your photos simple- there is simply too much here.

And, I don't think HDR works here. I think, because of the HDR, the colours are much more dull and garish.