LASIK for Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoricko

May 25, 2008
Singapore
Any photographers here gone through LASIK?
How much did it cost, any side effects after the recovery process (star bursts, halos)?

It is possible to get referred by a polyclinic or something? (even if the queue is like 5 years or something).

Going for Lasik this coming Tue (8th Dec)..... paying by 12 month Interest Free Credit Card Installment. Don't think you could use CPF for this Ops.... as it is not consider as a life or death type of Ops (but I could be wrong). Total bill should be slightly less then $2.6K :bigeyes:..... effect unknown till after Ops.

is there a free or cheap way to determine whether ur eyes is suitable for lasik or not? i mean, without them hardselling u into getting treatment with them?

Yoricko: i had undergone Lasik surgery 2.5 yrs ago. so far, the side effects are only dry eyes (if i didnt get enough sleep). i didnt have dry eyes before the ops. Lasik ops are getting cheaper now and like diver bro mentioned, jus pay by 12 months' credit card installment. its even cheaper than a D700 body or 70-200 VRII lens! haha.

shiruikage: most places will charge u an evaluation fee of about $100. at the clinic i went to, this evaluation fee will be built into the total bill if one decides to go ahead with the surgery after the checkup. otherwise, jus pay up the $100 if one decides not to proceed or eyes deemed not suitable. dont think u can get it FOC as the tests are quite comprehensive and the whole process takes a few hours. so, its only fair they charge something. based on my experience, the clinic i went to is quite good, at various stages, they actually gave u alot of info on the surgery and let u make your own decisions whether to proceed. i dont feel pressured at all. :)

Thanks for the responses.

Yoricko: i had undergone Lasik surgery 2.5 yrs ago. so far, the side effects are only dry eyes (if i didnt get enough sleep). i didnt have dry eyes before the ops. Lasik ops are getting cheaper now and like diver bro mentioned, jus pay by 12 months' credit card installment. its even cheaper than a D700 body or 70-200 VRII lens! haha.

How was your dry eyes like just after the op, did it get better after a while?

I did some research online and they said that the side-effects usually fade off after a period of time and good rest, or just go for another LASIK, lol.

i went a few months ago, after wearing glasses for about 15-20 years.

the initial effects were the star bursts. But everything went well after that (i no longer feel that star burst was affecting me). The initial problems were night. You will notice that anything that used to be dark grey (60% dark), would be black. You wont be able to see much.

Right now, everything is ok. Nice to be not wearing glasses. There was some astigmatism that was retained even after the procedure but i guess you cannot have it all... hahaha...

Pre-LASIK evaluation is very important. Take the surgeon's advise.

I'd failed my evaluation test at the National Eye Center last year. The surgeon strongly advised against any form of LASIK. If I had proceeded elsewhere I would risked LASIK-induced blindness after a period of time. The only option available to me at that time is to do lens implant into my eyes. As the implants need to be customised for my eyes the cost of such surgery was very expensive. The surgeon knew about my hobby and recommended contact lens.

What is the level of pain and discomfort during, immediately after and long after Lasik surgery?

Evaluation is free. Whether they include the cost in the actual op is debatable but I did not spend a cent on the evaluation.

I think the most uncomfortable part has to be the op. It's not really painful but you'll feel an intense pressure on your eye balls.

First week was a mess. Eye drops every hour or every two. Eyes become dry easily. After about a month, the dryness subsides and your eyesight also improve dramatically. But you'll still want to refrain from using the computer for extended period.

I started wearing glasses when I was 5 years old so it was an excellent option to not wear glasses after so many years. No more fogging when you get out of a cold bus. More choice of shades and sunglasses. I highly suggest photographers to do it. Especially rangefinder photographers.

watched the video...is that micro-keratine something? looks mighty painful! wat about the one with the laser?

Brought back memories ............ I had this done 7 years ago! I believe this is considered old technology already, where they cut a flap and laser the inner surface.

No pain was felt. It was over pretty fast. You can go about your normal life the next day though you need to be careful not to rub your eyes or ket water get in for the 1st month. After that, pretty much business as usual.

Would highly recommend anyone who is eligible for lasik surgery to go for it. All my frds and family members who went for it had no complaints.

Its a small price to pay for freedom from glasses.

watched the video...is that micro-keratine something? looks mighty painful! wat about the one with the laser?

I highly suggest you do the all laser procedure if you are eligible. They will drop some numbing drop. I don't think painful is applicable here. Feels more like a vacuum duct on your eyeball.

Done 4yrs ago, and the best $$ spent EVER...:)

I felt no pain during op, no dry eyes after, perfect vision. But till now night vision still not so gd; probably because my degree before was super high and cornea not so thick.

You cannot imagine the feeling of one day waking up from sleep, open eyes, and everything is sharp..lol:bsmilie: Miracle.

I still remember the first few days after op, I woke up trying to find my glasses. :bsmilie:

Can recommend any place I can go. How about those clinic in JB? I heard much cheaper.

vacuum on the eyeball! aww, that sucks...!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

my fren did it last year. till now still got dry eyes. like omahunk said, any good place to recommend, or rather, any good doctor to recommend? cheapest i heard is 1.2k per eye in singapore. bangkok cheaper i heard. opinions?

Thanks for the responses.

How was your dry eyes like just after the op, did it get better after a while?

I did some research online and they said that the side-effects usually fade off after a period of time and good rest, or just go for another LASIK, lol.

initially, the dry eyes are very severe, u need to apply eye drops every hour or 2. this is as per the post op SOP. after a few months, things should improve. Now for me, eye drops are used on a need basis. :)

Can recommend any place I can go. How about those clinic in JB? I heard much cheaper.

vacuum on the eyeball! aww, that sucks...!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

my fren did it last year. till now still got dry eyes. like omahunk said, any good place to recommend, or rather, any good doctor to recommend? cheapest i heard is 1.2k per eye in singapore. bangkok cheaper i heard. opinions?

if u ask me, I don't think price should be the main consideration here as its your eyes we are talking about. I would rather pay abit more and go to a local doctor so that in case anything wrong, u can go back to the clinic easily. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.