Largest possible photo size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sif

Jul 19, 2004
Hi all,

What is the largest possible size photo to be developed with a jpeg file resolution at 3000 x 2000?

What are the standard size out there?

Thank u :dunno:

Largest I ever did based on this resolution is S8R/8R.

I believe should be able to go bigger. My coolpix 5700 could do a 12" x 18" with no issues.

Assuming you do NOT step back as your print size increases, ie you continue to peer at the picture from about 15cm, and using proper post-processing, i think you'd start to see (resolution) degradation when your print around 17 inches on the long side, and around 40 inches it'll likely be unaccepatable.

If you DO step back appropriately as the print size enlarges, with proper post-pro, it'll blow to almost any size you can afford (in terms of $$).

It also depends on subject matter. Pictures which generally entice people to press their noses up against to see fine detail, like large group portraits, usually enlarge less gracefully, since missing datail cannot be put in. Other subjects, like clouds, can be blown up very big w/o much problem.

ST1100 said:
Assuming you do NOT step back as your print size increases, ie you continue to peer at the picture from about 15cm, and using proper post-processing, i think you'd start to see (resolution) degradation when your print around 17 inches on the long side, and around 40 inches it'll likely be unaccepatable.

Yup, around there, i have printed pics at 18R, assuming that approx 200dpi is about as much as a person will tend to see ordinarily at 50cm and labs can usually "usefully" print out. But must use sharp prime lenses and absolutely no shake.

But Bayer CCD interpolation itself is a compromise.....

2100 said:
Yup, around there, i have printed pics at 18R, assuming that approx 200dpi is about as much as a person will tend to see ordinarily at 50cm and labs can usually "usefully" print out. But must use sharp prime lenses and absolutely no shake.

But Bayer CCD interpolation itself is a compromise.....

hmm... how big is 18r? I wonder how they do it for those big poster.

if i am not wrong, they are using those large formats camera :think:

i remember seeing some news one the paper where the photographer use a consumer grade digi cam to print image around poster size, wonder how they did that.

consider that some digi cam is around 5mega pix, is tat possible?

the size of the pics is around 2 meter

Jester said:
the size of the pics is around 2 meter

At that size, you cannot expect to have 300dpi prints, more like 75dpi thereabout. But viewing 2m size at about 3m away is OK. Just walk to the shopping centres, you can see window dressings about 3m high which are probably taken with 6MP cameras, can't be that bad for single object shots. But for group photos (about 50+ people), there just isn't enough pixels to describe everyone's face, so you'll see lumps as people's faces! You can always size thing up and try a 'part print' on your home inkjet to see if you like the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.