Larger Format Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowleong

Mar 7, 2011
Hi everyone! Im fairly new here and just to give you a background of myself.

I'm a film enuthuisat and have recently decided to take a plunge into large format photography.

By that i mean trying some 4x5 or 8x10.

Im just 19 so to all the old timers out there!

Anyone have any idea how to start large format photography in singapore? I fully understand and have expected the cost involved

Im looking at a basic setup of a camera and a single lens, how to get sheet film, processing and where to go to get a camera?
To my understanding 4x5 is the most popular and their film and camera backs a easily available?

If anyone of you could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated! Better still you could show me your large format gear.
I could buy you coffee and we could be friends! Or you can rent me your camera! Im sure we could work something out

hi, if noone else answers you, you can check out rangefinderforum.com thanks!

no one in Singapore process Large Format films anymore.
You are able to purchase 4x5 film sheet from EVIL bay, but, no one will process them here.

Only possibility is to get a roll film back and use 120mm instead.

welcome,
Billy

getting the camera is easy. but as llkang has pointed out, unless you DIY, no one process 4x5 any more... think not even Ruby Photo does it too.

a better suggestion is to go for a medium format camera. you can still pick up some old contax, pentax or hasselblad gear on ebay or here in CS for quite reasonable prices. and there are still some places ard town that process 120 format slides and negatives.

hi, if noone else answers you, you can check out rangefinderforum.com thanks!

You can check out http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/ or http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php. Anyway I am in the process of organizing a LF outing next weekend. If you are interested can drop by. The posting is in the E6 thread as there is no actual LF sub-forum here.

no one in Singapore process Large Format films anymore.
You are able to purchase 4x5 film sheet from EVIL bay, but, no one will process them here.

Only possibility is to get a roll film back and use 120mm instead.

welcome,
Billy

Yup, I am using a sheet drum to process my 4*5, I have not tried 120 6*9 personally as such, I cannot give comment on that. If you want 4*5 films and don't want to get them off online, you can ask Orient Photo to order for you, but it will take long. BTW, if you shoot slides other than B&W, E6 chemical and shipment aren't cheap and hard to bring in.

getting the camera is easy. but as llkang has pointed out, unless you DIY, no one process 4x5 any more... think not even Ruby Photo does it too.

a better suggestion is to go for a medium format camera. you can still pick up some old contax, pentax or hasselblad gear on ebay or here in CS for quite reasonable prices. and there are still some places ard town that process 120 format slides and negatives.

Actually we left only Fotohub in SG for 135 and 120 slide... I don't count cross processing slides inside the list.

@raytoei Sure will! I'm a huge fan of rangefinders as well, still looking for a decent one to start me off as all i have with me is a polaroid land 420. trying to find a canonet or some russian models as those using LTM lenes are way out of my league as of now as i only have a canon AE-1 with 2 lens.

@nightwolf @lkkang oh man thats pretty hard to swallow tho i kinda expected that. Yups still looking for my ideal 120mm camera to start. I shoot plastic cameras but all in 35mm as i think they dont do the 120 format justice. A pentax or a hassblad or mamiya system is still far away for me in terms of cost, Im currently looking for a yashica 124 to begin with. I could settle for a mamiya universal or a polaroid 600se tho its freaking rare and expensive

@wootsk thanks a great bunch! Ill gladly go over if you dont mine me poking around! Always wanted to experience darkroom work. in this modern age its already gone. I do have some basic knowledge as i develop my own B&W.If i ever have a chance to try 4x5 i dont mind doing it exclusively for B&W. It has its own charm. and for colour i think Im able to settle with a polaroid back

Very encouraging seeing the new generation still keen on 4x5. I'm using a Linhof Technikardan but been very busy with travelling for work & my new born girl. Good luck for your quest of image perfection.

@nightwolf @lkkang oh man thats pretty hard to swallow tho i kinda expected that. Yups still looking for my ideal 120mm camera to start. I shoot plastic cameras but all in 35mm as i think they dont do the 120 format justice. A pentax or a hassblad or mamiya system is still far away for me in terms of cost, Im currently looking for a yashica 124 to begin with. I could settle for a mamiya universal or a polaroid 600se tho its freaking rare and expensive

a TLR is a good start. i started off with lubitel 166U and a seagull. but after some try and error, i just bit the bullet and went with a mamiya. currently, IMO, i would go for mamiya, hassy or pentax as these are still production models - ie. easy to get repairs. contax, bronica etc... a bit more difficult as time goes by cos they are no longer in production. if you want something portable, you can also try those folding MF cameras (like the voigtlander 667, or any of its kind) or a MF rangefinder (eg. fuji GS645).

Last edited:
a TLR is a good start. i started off with lubitel 166U and a seagull. but after some try and error, i just bit the bullet and went with a mamiya. currently, IMO, i would go for mamiya, hassy or pentax as these are still production models - ie. easy to get repairs. contax, bronica etc... a bit more difficult as time goes by cos they are no longer in production. if you want something portable, you can also try those folding MF cameras (like the voigtlander 667, or any of its kind) or a MF rangefinder (eg. fuji GS645).

agree with nightwolf that the mamiya 645 route is a good one to take. they are indeed value for money and the lens are pretty awesome too. my friend swears that the afd lenses are sharper than his hassy lenses!

mamiya also offers lots of pretty useful accessories at a reasonable price. lenses too are relatively affordable.

Nice to see someone who wish to get into LF. I also started LF when I was in my 20s as well. Currently I am using a monorail camera, in my opinion LF is very different from MF as the way you operate is different. You will have a introduction to all the tilt shift movements not found on TLR. You get to appreciate the zone metering system, scheimpflug principle and the list carries on.

You can take a look at the past CS sales on LF camera gears. The deals were pretty good. eBay have good deals too. I suppose a starter for you is monorail or field camera. The latter is lighter but movements maybe limited depending on camera model. Monorail like Omega or Calumet is priced decently and will not hurt your bank. Field camera like super graphic (not speed graphic) or shen hao can get you decent movements. *this statement is debatable, I am only giving my own opinion on the cameras I think is affordable. A standard 150mm lens, 5 film holders, a loupe, a dark cloth (or black t-shirt), sturdy tripod (pref pan and tilt head) and a meter (or digital camera) for metering.

As many CS members commented, you can't get 4x5 slide processing anymore. Perhaps the next best place is KL or Thailand. You can do B&W itself. You can use the standard roll film tank to do developing before you proceed to buy a tank. If you have a darkroom, you can use tray developing as well.

@wootsk Wow! I would love to join your outing. I only organized 2 outings before and it was difficult to get LF shooters in SG.

Last edited:
Im so happy to know LF is not dead in singapore! Its really very rare to even see anything LF related here. Im super excited but saving for a LF camera setup + tanks and all the development stuff is gonna take me sometime but I'lll definitely get into it some day! Thats why maybe i wanna know more information or at least see someone taking pictures in large format. Im gonna check the E6 thread ardently now that i know about it!

For medium format, i totally agree to use mamiya stuff for cheaper lens and Im actually very impressed by the lenses that are available for them even thought i most properly would stick with a standard lens. A hassy is of course a legend but for a working and studying student in poly those are really out of reach. Cheaper than any DLSR setup but still expensive. I saw a voigtlander 667 opposite SGcamerastore once but its still expensive lols. If possible i would like to get maybe a fixed lens MF camera which would be alot cheaper and i can save my money for other cameras rather than get more lenses

They are both different and beautiful in their own right. But the delicate handling of a LF camera is what makes it so unique right?

The most piratical route for me i think would be to start off with a TLR then slowly move on to maybe a mamiya 645 then slowly a LF. A LF would have to wait tho haha till maybe im abit oder to save up for money or hunt for a good deal. Ebay is good but the shipping is often the deal breaker.

what is your budget for a tlr? there are a number that you can consider and is relatively affordable. apart from lubitel and seagull, there are also the mamiya c220/330, yashicamat 124/124g, yashica d, minolta autocord.

check out the madecine shop. they do from time to time have some tlrs

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Im fairly new here and just to give you a background of myself.

I'm a film enuthuisat and have recently decided to take a plunge into large format photography.

By that i mean trying some 4x5 or 8x10.

Im just 19 so to all the old timers out there!

Anyone have any idea how to start large format photography in singapore? I fully understand and have expected the cost involved

Im looking at a basic setup of a camera and a single lens, how to get sheet film, processing and where to go to get a camera?
To my understanding 4x5 is the most popular and their film and camera backs a easily available?

If anyone of you could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated! Better still you could show me your large format gear.
I could buy you coffee and we could be friends! Or you can rent me your camera! Im sure we could work something out

You can have Horseman/Toyo/Linhof/Sinar or any others or china make camera which is value for money and quality. 4x5 Lens same as small/medium system, ultra wide angle 65mm / 75mm. Wide angle 90mm-110mm, std lens 125-180mm, 210-1000mm for long lens.

I process all my film from bw/C41/E-6 etc.

You can try with some of the RFs as mentioned. I shoot with Fuji 6x9 RFs and will look forward to the day i DIY processing myself.

Why people here trying to recommend MF to the TS. LF is still well and alive. I sent my 4x5 stuff to KL to process, there a will there a way. A lot of my LF friends just process their film themselves. Where in the world can one get huge image quality at this cheap price beside buying expensive MF equipment? Then again MF film cameras and LF film cameras are totally different, different in handling, shooting speed and how the image turn out. By the way LF system is way cheaper then a good MF system, most LF cameras even the "low grade" if there such a term in LF give better quality in term of image quality then MF film.

Shadowleong buy me, Patrick (sweat 100), Dream Merchant and a lot other coffee or tea, we will love to show you the ropes. Locally you can find LF stuff but they are expensive brand new or second hand. So eBay is the place to hunt. Depend what you like to shoot there different cameras will suite different subjects. Give us more information then we can help like subject matters and budget you have.

Chillax guys! All cameras are beautiful in their own right. There's no need to get edgy :) Its great to know film is alive and kicking the LF being the granddaddy of all forms of photography deserves some respect as well. All formats are great in their own right.

@singscott I'll be glad to! Hook me up if you guys have a gathering of some sort, just dont mind this kid poking around asking noob questions! haha I really enjoy processing my own 35mm, 120mm B&W thats what made me decide to start LF cause its still possible to DIY. Im sure its more satisfying to process a sheet film. Do you guys do contact prints? how do you get your images into paper? I know most people scan the 4x5 negative and print digitally which is kinda sad. To my understanding most people just get a single LF camera and stick with it. Thats why im trying to decide what i really want. Its just more practical that way too right? How different is 8x10 and 4x5 other than the sheer camera size? In terms of film availability and processing?

Ill mostly use it for landscapes and abit of shooting maybe outdoor portraits. Im looking at maybe 500 bucks for a camera, a lens with a lens board, enough film backs, and its processing equipment as i dont think i can do 4x5 on my current 35mm/120mm developing tank. The chemicals should be the same for B&W right?

Nice to see someone who wish to get into LF. I also started LF when I was in my 20s as well. Currently I am using a monorail camera, in my opinion LF is very different from MF as the way you operate is different. You will have a introduction to all the tilt shift movements not found on TLR. You get to appreciate the zone metering system, scheimpflug principle and the list carries on.

You can take a look at the past CS sales on LF camera gears. The deals were pretty good. eBay have good deals too. I suppose a starter for you is monorail or field camera. The latter is lighter but movements maybe limited depending on camera model. Monorail like Omega or Calumet is priced decently and will not hurt your bank. Field camera like super graphic (not speed graphic) or shen hao can get you decent movements. *this statement is debatable, I am only giving my own opinion on the cameras I think is affordable. A standard 150mm lens, 5 film holders, a loupe, a dark cloth (or black t-shirt), sturdy tripod (pref pan and tilt head) and a meter (or digital camera) for metering.

As many CS members commented, you can't get 4x5 slide processing anymore. Perhaps the next best place is KL or Thailand. You can do B&W itself. You can use the standard roll film tank to do developing before you proceed to buy a tank. If you have a darkroom, you can use tray developing as well.

@wootsk Wow! I would love to join your outing. I only organized 2 outings before and it was difficult to get LF shooters in SG.

It's almost a year ago our last LF outing! ha ha ha

Chillax guys! All cameras are beautiful in their own right. There's no need to get edgy :) Its great to know film is alive and kicking the LF being the granddaddy of all forms of photography deserves some respect as well. All formats are great in their own right.

@singscott I'll be glad to! Hook me up if you guys have a gathering of some sort, just dont mind this kid poking around asking noob questions! haha I really enjoy processing my own 35mm, 120mm B&W thats what made me decide to start LF cause its still possible to DIY. Im sure its more satisfying to process a sheet film. Do you guys do contact prints? how do you get your images into paper? I know most people scan the 4x5 negative and print digitally which is kinda sad. To my understanding most people just get a single LF camera and stick with it. Thats why im trying to decide what i really want. Its just more practical that way too right? How different is 8x10 and 4x5 other than the sheer camera size? In terms of film availability and processing?

Ill mostly use it for landscapes and abit of shooting maybe outdoor portraits. Im looking at maybe 500 bucks for a camera, a lens with a lens board, enough film backs, and its processing equipment as i dont think i can do 4x5 on my current 35mm/120mm developing tank. The chemicals should be the same for B&W right?

For that budget, look out for a speed graphic or crown graphic. I suggest start with 4x5 as the resources for 4x5 is easier to hunt than an 8x10. The camera comes usually with the Ektar 127mm lens. Film backs, typically you wont need more than 5. About 3 pieces will do. That will give you 6 exposures, which typically is enough for a shoot. Yes, 6 exposures is enough. :) I use my 35/120 tank if I develop 1 to 2 sheets. Remove the reels and keep the center column. Place the emulsion side facing inwards, use around 720ml of chemicals and develop as normal. Same chemicals for B&W film.

To do contact prints the cheapo way. Do it at night, make your room dark enough so that there are minimal light leaks. Put the negative on the paper and use a glass plate and press on it. Use a dim torch light and illuminate the paper evenly by having a tracing paper below the light source. Experiment with the exposure timing and develop as normal.

Singscott made a very good point that a decent LF system is even cheaper than a MF system. Image quality from LF is unsurpassed by any other systems. :thumbsup:

You can have Horseman/Toyo/Linhof/Sinar or any others or china make camera which is value for money and quality. 4x5 Lens same as small/medium system, ultra wide angle 65mm / 75mm. Wide angle 90mm-110mm, std lens 125-180mm, 210-1000mm for long lens.

I process all my film from bw/C41/E-6 etc.

Woah sifu.. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.