Large Group Photo - Outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Just want to know the correct setup to do an large group photo - 80 pax. Will be around 9am in the morning with morning sun. Is F/11 enough? Should I use couple of wirelessly triggered flashes or 2 outdoor strobes? TIA.

ps. I am doing for scout group so it's FOC. :)

Klose said:
Just want to know the correct setup to do an large group photo - 80 pax. Will be around 9am in the morning with morning sun. Is F/11 enough? Should I use couple of wirelessly triggered flashes or 2 outdoor strobes? TIA.

ps. I am doing for scout group so it's FOC. :)

How many rows back are you thinking? f11 may not be enough. Also, probably wireless flashes would be easier and fine to use.

Get them to a bright area and shoot with ambient light, I think is the best.

Shoot from a higher vantage whenever possible in such large groups.

It is more tricky indoors. The last time I tried taking for about 100 ppl with 3 flashes, 1 master and 2 slaves and it still did not turn out ok.

wildstallion said:
How many rows back are you thinking? f11 may not be enough. Also, probably wireless flashes would be easier and fine to use.

Thinking of 4 rows - 20 per row. The location will be in the parade square :)

Hmmm, I will be at most having 4-5 speedlights :)

wildstallion said:
In that case F8-12 should be roughly fine. Try with ambient light before fiddiling around with speedlights.

On a side note, should I use a prime lens or a wide angle? I know the wideangle will give some distrotion but will it be acceptable? :)

Klose said:
On a side note, should I use a prime lens or a wide angle? I know the wideangle will give some distrotion but will it be acceptable? :)

If you have people right at the side of your image then anything wider than say about 18mm will give quite an obvious distortion (to us, but many people might not notice untill you get down below 15mm).

What prime lens do you have?

wildstallion said:
If you have people right at the side of your image then anything wider than say about 18mm will give quite an obvious distortion (to us, but many people might not notice untill you get down below 15mm).

What prime lens do you have?

24mm.. still think it's better to use my WA @ 20mm :)

Klose said:
24mm.. still think it's better to use my WA @ 20mm :)

It will give you more flexability, but try organising them with the 24mm prime on your cam, it will be better quality than the WA zoom. But its up to you, the zoom at 20mm should be perfectly fine, just dont put people too close to the edges.

To shoot at F11 with strobes, you are going to need more juice than what can be provided by a couple of speedlights.

Another thing about shooting it with ambient light under the sun you might get some harsh shadows that you might not like. And also if the group is going to face the sun they will be squinting. Not too good.

To shoot such a large group you would need at least a 1200w/s strobe and a tall ladder to get, as someone all ready mentioned, a higher perspective.

hondasleeper said:
To shoot at F11 with strobes, you are going to need more juice than what can be provided by a couple of speedlights.

Another thing about shooting it with ambient light under the sun you might get some harsh shadows that you might not like. And also if the group is going to face the sun they will be squinting. Not too good.

To shoot such a large group you would need at least a 1200w/s strobe and a tall ladder to get, as someone all ready mentioned, a higher perspective.

Depends on how bright it is...

to deliver f11 for a group photo of 20 person wide, you need a 4K power pack with 4k strobe head.

if you don't have a power point avaialable, forget about using a studio strobe.

just a agar agar for knowing how many hotshoe flash you need,

if one hotshoe flash will give you f2.8 for 20 person wide, at 25 ft away

two flash units will give you f4
four flash units will give you f5.6
eight flash units will give you f8
sixteen flash units will give you f11

Woah that many? I only have 5 speedlights on hand :sweat:

wildstallion said:
In that case F8-12 should be roughly fine. Try with ambient light before fiddiling around with speedlights.
Thot this shot is done outdoors, should be f/128 or smaller? :dunno:

wildstallion said:
Ok, go find a f/128 lens......
Where can I find one? I think smallaperture mentioned if using a smaller aperture, can get greater DOF can get sharper pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.