Large aperture only work for close object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacetham

May 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi clubsnappers,

Referring to the topic, is large aperture, ie f3.5 not suitable for landscape? i tried using f3.5 to take a landscape pic at night, like building, the pic just turn out to be soft, or not as sharp as small aperture, can this be resolved?

Kindly advise....;)

You need to get up to speed with the fundamentals.

Larger aperture gives you a shallower Depth of Field, that means a smaller portion of your photo will be in focus, depending on the distance you are from the intended subjects.

Typically for landscapes, you want to increase that Depth of View(stopping down to f/8, f/11, etc) so the entire frame will be in focus.

You mentioned NIGHT and buildings. Were you using a tripod to begin with?

You need to get up to speed with the fundamentals.

Larger aperture gives you a shallower Depth of Field, that means a smaller portion of your photo will be in focus, depending on the distance you are from the intended subjects.

Typically for landscapes, you want to increase that Depth of View(stopping down to f/8, f/11, etc) so the entire frame will be in focus.

You mentioned NIGHT and buildings. Were you using a tripod to begin with?

I am not using tripod, and just trying to some pics of the building and lighting along Orchard rd..

so the only solution is to using tripod and keep the aperture above f8, if better focus needed?

Hi clubsnappers,

Referring to the topic, is large aperture, ie f3.5 not suitable for landscape? i tried using f3.5 to take a landscape pic at night, like building, the pic just turn out to be soft, or not as sharp as small aperture, can this be resolved?

Kindly advise....;)

I am not using tripod, and just trying to some pics of the building and lighting along Orchard rd..

so the only solution is to using tripod and keep the aperture above f8, if better focus needed?
#1, whether is at wide angle or tele angle setting, the depth of field is at narrowest when you are using bigger/wider aperture.

#2, most lens are soft at wide open aperture setting.

#3, it could be camera movement/ handshake as well.

Yes, tripod is a must, and know how to use it properly.

To shoot scenery it is best to use at higher aperture. For me I use f/8-f/16. This also apply to taking group photos =)

For night shot, you need to use a tripod or alternative steady support.

Afraid the answer for tripod requirement is a definite yes in night landscape photography

do note that if you set your aperture to f/8, you will need to slow down your shutter speed in order to compensate to get the right exposure. Having said that, you definitely need a tripod for night landscape shots to minimise handshakes etc (unless your hands are super duper steady ;p)

do note that if you set your aperture to f/8, you will need to slow down your shutter speed in order to compensate to get the right exposure. Having said that, you definitely need a tripod for night landscape shots to minimise handshakes etc (unless your hands are super duper steady ;p)

Or a super high iso .... :)

• Use higher ISO (may be noisy sometimes, depending on your body as well)
  • Use high F-value
  • Tripod is a must to have the most optimised Landscape night shot
  • optional: can consider using wireless/cable trigger or set self timer to take the snap

• Use higher ISO (may be noisy sometimes, depending on your body as well)

Agree. Tried bumping my ISO up to 1600 and even 3200 on my 500D for a couple of night shots (did not have tripod with me then) and they turned out fine :) Noise will be inevitable, but it will not be obvious unless you decide to blow up the picture to A4 or A3 size :D

Anyway the ISO is there for you to use, so don't be afraid to try it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.