Large aperture in bright daylight /w flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

justanut

Dec 4, 2007
Jurong West
www.flickr.com
While experimenting with using flash outdoors in daylight, I came across this problem... With flash the highest shutter speed I can go is 250, which means that even at ISO100 I will not be able to use my lens wide open or even 2-3 stops down. This is a bummer when I want a shallow DOF.

Is using a ND filter the only way? Is IQ affected usually? What about using 2 x polarizers?

Doesn't matter what one uses as long as it cuts the amount of light going through the lens. With or without distortions is a different issue.

Oh... I was thinking 2 x polarizers cos will allow me to change the amount of light by twisting them... Can save on buying the various ND filters... But then again 2 pieces of dual piece glass which costs more than double that of one ND filter... maybe buy ND filter still better choice lol

While experimenting with using flash outdoors in daylight, I came across this problem... With flash the highest shutter speed I can go is 250, which means that even at ISO100 I will not be able to use my lens wide open or even 2-3 stops down. This is a bummer when I want a shallow DOF.

Is using a ND filter the only way? Is IQ affected usually? What about using 2 x polarizers?

your 580ex flash should be able to give you high speed flash > 1/250. check your manual.

As I know, 580EX has a "hight speed" mode, which allow you to should with flash focal plane syncronize, therefore, you are not restricted below the flash syncrozine speed anymore.

in HSS, depends on camera body also, maybe can even achieve 1/8000...

Only Nikon can. TS uses Canon - effectively, the highest he can hope for is 1/320 even tho manuals state 1/250.

Status
Not open for further replies.