Laptop.. which is better ??

Which brand ??

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nn3th03

Jan 6, 2005
since SITEX is ard the corner and i would like to buy one set..

any experts/users would like to give me comments on which brand and wat spec to buy ??

i used it mainly for CAD purpose..

pls advise..

U noe powerbooks are made by ASUS??? So why none?
Actually ASUS is one of the best. Its plastic casing survived a 3 m flying hurl for my m2n with everything intact and working properly maybe except for the headphone jack suffering from damage(but ASUS repaired it free for me :) ) ASUS i my opinion has one of the best service centre due to the fact that their client base is small (or maybe their laptops seldom breakdown in the first place) Thus giving speedy service.

If price matter.....I'll go for Dell :thumbsup: For build, I will go for IBM :lovegrin: And if you want something robust...then I think the new Panasonic toughbook is really tough :lovegrin:

I go for Dell because of their next day onsite warranty. If their LCD display were at this price 6-months ago I would have gotten the 20-inch widescreen too. They will replace (or loan) you a screen while fixing yours.

my Viewsonic screen is now having intermitten problem and I can't afford to send it in for fixing because they take a whole week!

my office notebook is HP and no hardware failure for 4 years. tho it is running slower each day (think shld be OS issue)

if i were to buy notebook, I will get IBM (Lenovo) or Apple

Dell.

1. NBD Warranty - real swift. So far none of my friends have bad things to say about the service.
2. Latitude series do have models that come with Quadro GFX Card
3. More affordable

Dell.

1. NBD Warranty - real swift. So far none of my friends have bad things to say about the service.
3. More affordable

how to inform Dell of technical support? by phone or by email?

see fujitsu quite popluar...

hear from my classmates, that, the batt dun last long..

any fujitsu user to verify ??

If you are saying the usage is for CAD. I think you should be looking at the higher end 17 inch models. ;)

Come to think about it, Apple Macbook Pro seems to be the best laptop in the market now.

Both Mac and Microsoft OS can be loaded, Core 2 Duo processors, warranty of up to 3 years with optional Applecare warranty extension program, connects USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and 800, etc.

Come to think about it, Apple Macbook Pro seems to be the best laptop in the market now.

Both Mac and Microsoft OS can be loaded, Core 2 Duo processors, warranty of up to 3 years with optional Applecare warranty extension program, connects USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and 800, etc.

as a person using the macbook pro core 2 duo .... amen brother ... amen

MBP, as it is specifically designed for designing purposes, of course work(VMWare?) and also, you can run Parallels if @ anytime you do need to use Windows without rebooting.

My choice IBM, T series.

Never get R series, crappy.

Dell.

Eh, this one is a misnomer actually. My brother bought the Latitude D820 with the Quadro NVS graphics chip. It's actually nothing more than a differently tuned Geforce Go7400. (supposedly more geared towards "business applications"). If you're doing serious CAD work you might want to consider Dell's Precision series instead. Those can come with Quadro FX chips which are "the real deal".

see fujitsu quite popluar...

hear from my classmates, that, the batt dun last long..

any fujitsu user to verify ??

I will never buy a Fujitsu for myself. I've been IT Head in 2nd company now. I always get Dell for all staff cos price, performance and support is unbeatable (examples below).

But boss of both companies insisted on Fujitsu for themselves due to forma factor. Both have problems. Constant crashing (both notebook - when switching to external monitor, open MS Office - volume licenced which NEVER crashed on any other computer), easily broken screen (had to pay $700+ even though still under warranty) whole LCD cracked when dropped lightly from <1m while laptop was in Fujitsu glove case, inside a padded Kensington laptop case onto Changi airport thick carpet! And Fujitsu support sucks! Brand new $3600++ notebook arrived with dead pixel right in the middle they refuse to change! Said must wait for 5 dead pixels. Also when PC crashed just ask me to reformat!

Dell support:
1. I bought 3rd party ram and forgot to switch off power while changing and called them - they replace notebook 1-to-1 after unsuccessfully trying to help over the phone.
2. PC crash due to 'user' problem - they change motherboard and power supply next day.
3. Projector remote spoiled - they deliver new remote.
4. I have submitted online order but want to make changes - call and it's done.
5. Price-performance ratio is unbeatable.
6. Latitude kicked onto concrete floor accidentally while give presentation - no problem - slight dent on corner of LCD cover, but still perfectly functional.
7. Complete Cover for $300+. Covers all accidental damage.
8. Complete Cove + Guard. Guard is $80 theft insurance for notebooks. 1 for 1 replacement if stolen. Corporate customers only - just start a corporate account for your 'home office'!

For personal use I'll either get a Dell or MacBook (cos it has applications that PCs don't).

If you are saying the usage is for CAD. I think you should be looking at the higher end 17 inch models. ;)

correct.. but i think its ok with 15.4" ...

unless i strike toto these period loh.. then i get higher than 17"

Status
Not open for further replies.