Laptop or a Macbook pro

Lazymuf

Jul 23, 2009
SBW
I have decided to get a laptop for editing my pictures when travelling but cannot decide to get a normal laptop or a macbook pro. Not intending to use it for games or otherwise but just PP pictures and surfing....any suggestion/advice from users here in CS? Thanks alot ya.:D

MacBook is good enough.

{MacBookPro also a laptop} :)

I have decided to get a laptop for editing my pictures when travelling but cannot decide to get a normal laptop or a macbook pro. Not intending to use it for games or otherwise but just PP pictures and surfing....any suggestion/advice from users here in CS? Thanks alot ya.:D

Do you prefer Windows or Mac OS? If you can answer that, you can answer the question you posted above.

After you get past the windows/osx question, what's your next requirement? Is weight a concern? Mac book pro starts at 2.5 kg, mac book is 2.1 kg.

A few things you will do well to consider before deciding:
  • Any preference for OS - Windows or Snow Leopard
  • Any preferred editing software (e.g. Aperture 3, which AFAIK is exclusive to Mac OS)
  • Budget - Apple products of similar/equivalent specs are usually more expensive than their Windows-running counterparts. Just do a MacBook and Dell comparison, for example.

I will not go into how fast/laggy or virus-prone each type of system is, because you can easily find endless flame wars about these topics. IMHO, it all boils down to how well you take care of the stuff that is floating around in your computer.

All the best in your search!

if u are going on design way or want prefect edit on ur works(photos) than go for Mac dont need Macpro.

If just for normal FB upload or normal use and loading than normal mid range laptop is good enough. Software make it different to the product u r buying.

macbook vs macbook pro? i would choose macbook pro.

macbook - $1488
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13.3" screen (resolution 1280x800)
2GB DDR3 memory (max 4GB)
250GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Built-in 10-hour battery
Polycarbonate unibody enclosure
Full-size keyboard

macbook pro - $1788
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13" screen (resolution 1280x800)
4GB DDR3 Memory (max 8GB)
250GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in 10-hour battery
Aluminium unibody enclosure
Full-size backlit keyboard

Last edited:

macbook - $1488
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250GB hard drive
Built-in 10-hour battery

macbook pro - $1788
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory (max 8GB)
250GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in battery (10 hours)

Sorry, just a question. where did you find out that macbook pro can support up to 8gb for memory? :)

ah yes i see it can support up to 8gb. :D
however, i think MBP is still 32bit which means it can only access at most 4gb, which also makes the 'support up to 8gb' useless? Need some light here. :dunno:

core 2 duo is a 64-bit capable CPU, and snow leopard (10.6.x) is a 64-bit OS. So you can use the full 8gb.

Bought 2 laptops few months ago:

Sony VAIO TT16GN ultra portable, nice display and comes with DVD RW but I don't like it then I bought MBP 13" 2.4 GHz very happy with it and it's only cost less than half what I paid for that Bloody Sony VAIO. Only major draw back of MBP is heavy.

Bought 2 laptops few months ago:

Sony VAIO TT16GN ultra portable, nice display and comes with DVD RW but I don't like it then I bought MBP 13" 2.4 GHz very happy with it and it's only cost less than half what I paid for that Bloody Sony VAIO. Only major draw back of MBP is heavy.

aluminium mah ;p

macbook - $1488
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
250GB hard drive
Built-in 10-hour battery
Full-size keyboard

macbook pro - $1788
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR3 Memory (max 8GB)
250GB hard drive
SD card slot
Built-in 10-hour battery
Aluminium unibody enclosure
Full-size backlit keyboard

I don't think backlit keyboard is really important, and 2GB of RAM difference shouldn't cost that much. imo you're just paying for a "pro" tag behind. And those prices are in USD.

A normal notebook with those specs don't cost as much. I'd still get a normal Windows notebook over a Mac for the price difference. I've used my friend's Macbook before and it's nothing special.

As for netbooks, I'd say they are powerful enough lah, maybe not for heavy Photoshop work but they should be fine.
My Acer Timeline notebook (ultra portable notebook, not netbook) that I got last year only has a dual core 1.4GHz processor and Photoshop works fine for me...Only tried basic adjustments (exposure/curves/levels) and some noise reduction though. And the batt lasts a good 8 hrs as advertised if ur just working on Word docs with the lowest brightness (even though it's quite bright already)

Last edited:
I don't think backlit keyboard is really important, and 2GB of RAM difference shouldn't cost that much. imo you're just paying for a "pro" tag behind. And those prices are in USD.

A normal notebook with those specs don't cost as much. I'd still get a normal Windows notebook over a Mac for the price difference. I've used my friend's Macbook before and it's nothing special.

As for netbooks, I'd say they are powerful enough lah, maybe not for heavy Photoshop work but they should be fine.
My Acer Timeline notebook (ultra portable notebook, not netbook) that I got last year only has a dual core 1.4GHz processor and Photoshop works fine for me...Only tried basic adjustments (exposure/curves/levels) and some noise reduction though. And the batt lasts a good 8 hrs as advertised if ur just working on Word docs with the lowest brightness (even though it's quite bright already)

u are totally wrong. u are not paying for the pro tag.

the build for Macbook and Macbook Pro is different! One is cheap plastic one is solid aluminum. And Macbook ram up to 4G while Macbook Pro up to 8G.

btw, Acer to me sucks, battery dies out fast and the tech support is non existent.

all the latest notenooks will do a fine job and if you pay about the same price for a notebook as you would for a Macbook .. the specs of the note notebook will most likely be higher than that of the Mac

But damn the Macbook Pro is sexy :devil: