Laptop link to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hi y'all

Got a quick question... if i need to connect my Laptop to my PC to transfer files, how do i go about it?

Kindly advise?

Cheers! :)

4 ways:
-Serial Cable
-USB
-Ethernet
-Wi-Fi

in the order of cheapest to most expensive

use a cross ethernet cable.. then config the Ip...
Get USB hub....USB2.0 ....

Serial.... if the files are in GB......... God bless you...

Portableable HDD

use CF/SM/MD/MS/ SD/MMC to transfer... blah blah blah./..

so many ways... so which one you like?
:devil:

- The most traditional way (a bit slow though), use a LapLink Parallel cable + software.

- If both have 10/100Mbps Ethernet, connect via a cross ethernet cable and configure both IP accordingly. e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 This way you can transfer at 100Mbps. If your ethernet is 10Mbps, can transfer at 10Mbps.

- Get one of those USB to USB transfer cables and install drivers on both.

- Take out the harddisk of the laptop and connect to PC via the appropriate adaptor

So many ways!

Regards
CK

If both ur machine have LAN, you can use crossover cable..set both at DHCP...and map the other machine n transfer the files...starting it will take some time to map, but after that u will get quite fast transfer rate...depend on your LAN card...

Right now, i am looking @ the cheapest and fastest way.

The laptop has a lan card and my PC has a lan card too, but my PC's lan card is connected to my SCV broad band.. how?

Or if i get USB cable to connect laptop to PC, where do i get teh software?

Kindly advise. :)

Originally posted by Wolfgang

The laptop has a lan card and my PC has a lan card too, but my PC's lan card is connected to my SCV broad band.. how?

If both got LAN, that's the fastest way. Buy the crossover cable, hook them up, configure, then can transfer liao. Temporarily disconnect from SCV.

Regards
CK

aiyo.. dc the SCV 1st lor... then transfer the files then connect back lor...
but pls do remmeber the setting b4 trying it out!
:p

USB, there are those USB "laplink" type which cost abt $60-$80 in SLS. It come with s/w and the cable itself.

USB lap link huh? Hmm sounds like the easiest way to go about it although still need to spend $$ :(:bheart:

Interested in doing the lan card to lan card crossover method.. but not too sure how to go about doing it leh... scared later do wrong... PC crash... :confused: :embrass: :cry:

Hi Wolf....

I am currently using a USB link....it is a cable linking usb to usb....cheap nowadays......can get from funan.....the software needs to be installed on both pC. then you can trat each other systems HDD as if its connected into one system.

I carry it everyday.....for use...simple convenient and fast ....

regards,
Sulhan

Worst comes to worst.....i can loan it to you.....if you damn damn die die must transfer.....just leave me a PM

Originally posted by sulhan
Hi Wolf....

I am currently using a USB link....it is a cable linking usb to usb....cheap nowadays......can get from funan.....the software needs to be installed on both pC. then you can trat each other systems HDD as if its connected into one system.

I carry it everyday.....for use...simple convenient and fast ....

regards,
Sulhan

Worst comes to worst.....i can loan it to you.....if you damn damn die die must transfer.....just leave me a PM

Hey Sulhan, thanks for the offer.

I reckon i will go buy once since i would be using it often enough. How much did you get it for and where did you get it from?

The package comes with a USB cable and software yah? :)

A special usb ended cable on both ends and one embedded chip at the center.

Just need to install the software on both sides and wallah!!! you are all set. Very useful....!!!....

The software will launch a browser like the FIle Manager...and you can see both the Source and the destination drive....

Just Drag and Drop......

regards,
Sulhan

Actually, since u already have got the ethernet cards, the cheapest way would be to get a cross cable - only < $10 (10 m one).

USB1.1 would prove to be quite slow and not suitable if you're transferring large files.

Alternatively, if you have intentions on sharing your internet connection, you can get a router (2nd-hand = ~$70) and hook up everything.

One more way is to use 2 blue-tooth dongles - transfer via bluetooth ;)

Originally posted by imaginary_number
Alternatively, if you have intentions on sharing your internet connection, you can get a router (2nd-hand = ~$70) and hook up everything.

Was actually considering wireless boardband routers... how practical is that?

Was actually considering wireless boardband routers... how practical is that?

Well, it is a great solution if u need the convenience and want to avoid to hassle of lining the wires neatly.

A brand new wireless ADSL/Cable router should cost ~$200+.

If you're on a tight budget, there's a new product by linksys (~$115) - a router with a PC Card expansion slot (for inserting an 802.11b card). It basically has 4 ports for wired lan connections and should you require wireless solutions, just plug in an 802.11b PC Card.

Btw, the wireless LAN card is going for $58 now (deluxe HWZ members).

crossover cable is the cheapest way, u wan i can make one cable for u...FOC ...:p
what u need is buy one RJ45 conenctor cost less than$1..thats all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.