Laptop Graphic Card

Kenji

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
alexq.multiply.com
Hey guys, if I want to mainly get a laptop on Windows for photoshop editing. Which graphic card should I look for?

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 supports GPU Acceleration, check out the link below:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

This will only have effect on the display of Photoshop itself, it's windows and buttons etc. Here, the computation work for these elements is done by the GPU, offloading the CPU. It does not have the slightest effect on the rendering or processing of the image; this still is done 100% by the CPU. So if TS is not doing any gaming but strictly 2D work (email, web, office, image processing) then the processing features of the graphics card are irrelevant.
More important would be, whether TS wants to use dual screen setups. Then it needs a graphics card that can manage both screens fully independently, including the colour profile.

I heard that nvidia is best for photoshop?

I don't know who is feeding you that nonsense.

As stated, ANY graphic card is "good for photoshop". RAM and CPU are what matter.

Ohh? Is it? What if I use plugins that supports CUDA ?

CUDA-specific support on Macs was replaced with generic OpenCL support in Snow Leopard. On Windows, the main benefits of using a CUDA-based GPU is for plugins like Elemental, which are video rendering tools. For photoshop plugins like Beauty Box, CUDA can help when running on super-slow Netbooks, but you will not see a speed boost on a proper desktop PC or a full-fledged laptop. CPU and RAM will be a bigger limit.

Ohh? Is it? What if I use plugins that supports CUDA ?

CUDA is useful when you work with videos in Premiere Pro, for photoshop it doesn't matter much. Get a more powerful CPU and more RAM. 8GB would be optimal.

Neither. Just get a Core i5/i7, 8GB RAM. Graphics card is only good for gaming.

anyone else care to confirm this? because initial benchmarks for the macbook air 13 inch puts it on par with a 17 inch macbook pro. would make the macbook air a very good choice for me in the future :)

anyone else care to confirm this? because initial benchmarks for the macbook air 13 inch puts it on par with a 17 inch macbook pro. would make the macbook air a very good choice for me in the future :)
Simple logic: Why is the reason that all these PC games demand high performance graphic cards, but Office and Powerpoint never state anything? The difference is: PC Games do not come with ready images, the image is calculated and rendered real time in the graphics card, based on the instructions given. Word, Powerpoint and pictures are just 2D bitmaps, nothing to render and calculate, it's all there already. Editing bitmaps is the same; just plain 2D work done by the CPU, the graphics card is idle. Any current low end graphics card is sufficient. Get a 64bit OS and sufficient RAM, that's all. Whether 13 inch is something to work with .. your call. I'd prefer something of 21 inch and above. Secondly, don't forget colour accuracy and calibration.

Simple logic: Why is the reason that all these PC games demand high performance graphic cards, but Office and Powerpoint never state anything? The difference is: PC Games do not come with ready images, the image is calculated and rendered real time in the graphics card, based on the instructions given. Word, Powerpoint and pictures are just 2D bitmaps, nothing to render and calculate, it's all there already. Editing bitmaps is the same; just plain 2D work done by the CPU, the graphics card is idle. Any current low end graphics card is sufficient. Get a 64bit OS and sufficient RAM, that's all. Whether 13 inch is something to work with .. your call. I'd prefer something of 21 inch and above. Secondly, don't forget colour accuracy and calibration.

thanks for the reply. something to chew on. can always hook it up to a screen at the end of the day :D

The benchmarks you are refering to are not "real" world and only test CPU and the Hard Disk. Like camera benchmarks, you need to consider more than one set of test or benchmarks.

The benchmarks you are refering to are not "real" world and only test CPU and the Hard Disk. Like camera benchmarks, you need to consider more than one set of test or benchmarks.

alright will take that into account. though i would think a macbook pro 13 inch with a SSD and 8gb of ram would probably be good enough for most things. i'm just drawn to the air for the size

alright will take that into account. though i would think a macbook pro 13 inch with a SSD and 8gb of ram would probably be good enough for most things. i'm just drawn to the air for the size

I find photo editing on a 15" very tight and can only imagine how PS must feel like on a 13" with the tabs and palettes open. Must not leave a lot of room for the actual image. But I guess you can connect to an external monitor.

I find photo editing on a 15" very tight and can only imagine how PS must feel like on a 13" with the tabs and palettes open. Must not leave a lot of room for the actual image. But I guess you can connect to an external monitor.

...Which can also cost a bomb. Might as well just spend less money and get a much more powerful desktop PC with tons of Storage.

15inch to 17inch would be ideal for editing photos with photoshop.
currently using 15inch laptop with dedicated graphic card of 512mb, i5 processor, and 4gb ram, 32bits.
So far, i don't encounter any problems with this set up.

Only one thing, when i try it with 64bits OS which is a bit slow.