laptop for d70

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienster

Mar 13, 2005
may i noe any recommendation and i like to hear ur opinion on what laptop to get and where.

I dont need any thing fanciful... i need need to store pics( my d70 large fine) resonably fast for my clients to see and open the pics files. abt 500 - 700 pics to be stored. fast transfer of images from my d70 to the laptop. it's like if my 1GB card is full, i can jus load it into the com and than clear my mem card on the move while taking wedding pics. perhaps in b/w when i ve breaks, i can also edit my pics fast enough instead of waiting for the com to process the pics. it's quite frustrating when u r on the move and rushing for time. is 1.6GHz fast enough? or shd i get 1.8GHz and above?? and what abt 40GB? or shd i get 60 or even 80GB?? and good brand tt u seniors r using that u can share with me on my above work load?? thanks!!! my budget is ard 1700-1800.

for yr budget and sounds like yr main concern is to sync yr photography workflow and a lap top ... i am like u using D70s and i am currently running it on iBook G4 12" when i am out of my house . To view photo and to run some simple photoshop command when i am really free out . So far so gd no lag for me while working on L size Fine resolution from my D70s ;)

imho i think ur tight budget can hardly get u any good ones.. and u need lotsa ram to allow faster processing.. as for fast transfer.. would suggest to use ext card reader instead.. coz usually now the laptop is using usb 2.0.. if ur hdd not enuf.. get ext hdd or portable storage drive lor.. else get a 2nd hand laptop...

hey, go check out the PC show coming next week, I am sure you can get a good deal there.

already last week, saw an Acer laptop with Pentium M 1.5Ghz, combo drive and 14" LCD for only $1399, thought that is already as cheap as it gets, so suggest that you can keep your budget to within $1500~1800 and yet get something decent.

and oh, that Pentium M 1.6Ghz is already very very fast for most things (equal to about P4-2.4Ghz~2.8Ghz!) so long you have min 512MB RAM (of course 1GB is recommended but you can upgrade later), image editing should be a breeze.

as for harddisk, the other folks already gave good advice, get an external harddisk if you need more storage, when buying your laptop, just get one with largest harddisk your budget allows. when harddisk space runs out, get cheap 3.5" external harddisk of capacities 120GB and beyond to save all those images which make more sense as notebook harddisk (1.8") max size only 80GB and much more ex.

Hey, go to SLS.:)

PC speed is one parameter, another important staff is to have a high speed card reader, you must have at least a USB2.0 CF card reader. For notebook if using PCMCIA card reader, the ordinary slow speed one will frustrates you, it is hard to find the high speed (I am also looking for it) cardbus PCMCIA CF card reader.

S11LOOP, check with ya can ya Ibook use for video editting? is it fast enough for that? I am really interested to get the Ibook which singnet is offering... its S$1688 with 1G ram... how abt transferring files from the ibook to other pic is it easy?

eugenep said:
S11LOOP, check with ya can ya Ibook use for video editting? is it fast enough for that? I am really interested to get the Ibook which singnet is offering... its S$1688 with 1G ram... how abt transferring files from the ibook to other pic is it easy?
SLow for RAW files... not sure about video editing...

hey many thanks pals... i cut and paste all ur info and will bring the list along when i go comex. any more info pls let me noe thanks!!!

hi i am wondering if i add an external 120GB HD, on top of my 40-60GB HDD, will it affect my speed/ processing/ opening of files speed if it's the original Pentium M 1.6Ghz?? cos i'm afraid tt with such a speed, and u r going to add additonal load, chances r it'll be affect. so can anyone tell me will it be affected? if so will it be too slow?? what shd i do??

eugenep said:
thinking of up the ram to full blast 1.5 but i think for video could be slow ... never try before . yup theres software specially for video editing

The iBook is no slouch when it comes to video editing either. I can run 2 video layers (Picture in picture mode) in real time on Final Cut Pro easily and this is using my older iBook 12" 1.25 with 768 mb RAM. Macs are known to be good for graphics and they come with dedicated memory on their graphic cards. Also, it comes pre-loaded with iPhoto which is probably the best free photo management software available as well as iMovie which is an excellent basic video editing software. The only problem is that the screen is a bit small and its a bit heavy for a 12" but the size is ok to lug around. Battery life is also impressive at 4-5 hrs of actual use depending on applications open.

there are a couple of shops in Sim Lim selling retrofitted 2nd hand laptops, would they be an acceptable alternative?

apple powerbook G4 @$2500

Status
Not open for further replies.