Laos 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaltan

Nov 11, 2003
Central
chaltan.multiply.com
A small selection of pictures from my 2-week backpacking trip to Laos in Dec 2005.

Laos (or Lao People's Democratic Republic, LPDR) has been a fellow member of ASEAN since 1997. And yet, it seems that this is a country not often visited by Singaporeans. Many preferring to go to Thailand or Vietnam. FYI, ASEAN members travel visa free!! :bsmilie:

During my backpacking trip to Cambodia in 2004, many of the fellow backpackers I met raved about the natural beauty and friendly people of Laos. Thus, making this a destination when the opportunity arised was just natural.

_DSC9146-01.jpg

Lovely sunset over the Mekong.​
Took these 2 pictures while on a slow boat ride upriver from Luang Prabang (old capital city) to the bordertown of Huay Xai. A slow trip made slower by the wrong choice of travelling direction ;p but blessed with good company and wonderful sunsets!

_DSC9141-01.jpg

Lovely sunset over the Mekong.​

More photos can be found in my albums

Monks and Monasteries.

Like her neighbours Cambodia and Thailand, Laos is a predominantly Buddhist country. Many of the city and lowland dwellers are Buddhists. Theravada Buddhism is practiced by approximately 60% of the population. Phii (spirit), animalistic and ancestor worship is also found in the hill tribes.

_DSC7859-01.jpg

Pha That Luang - A national relic.​

Pha That Luang (Great Sacred Reliquary / Great Stupa) is the most important national monument in Laos.

It's official name is Pha Chedi Lokujulamani (a mouthful, and little wonder why everyone calls it by its common name).

Its roots can be traced back to the 3rd Century B.C. and has been rebuilt severals times over the course of history. The most recent between 1931-1935, when the French completely rebuilt it (partly to undo the botched up job 30 years earlier).

_DSC8303-01.jpg

7 Parasols Atop a Monastery Roof

The parasol is a common religious item in Buddhism, and can be seen adorning the many roofs of monasteries.

_DSC8297-01.jpg

Monk with Kitten Enjoying the Morning Sun​

Nothing like a good bath in the sun with a little companion on a cold morning.

_DSC8295-01.jpg

Monk with Can of White Paint​

Stumbled upon a monastery undergoing a facelift, and throngs of monks cleaning, scrubbing, washing, painting, stencilling....

More photos can be found in my albums

GDSNP said:
Nice.. :thumbsup:
You really make me miss Laos..

Thank you. Always glad to know that my photos can invoke memories and incite emotions. I presume you had toured Laos before.

Did you travel the Northern region too? My route was the "classic" Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Pak Beng -> Huay Xai -> Chiang Mai.

chaltan said:
Thank you. Always glad to know that my photos can invoke memories and incite emotions. I presume you had toured Laos before.

Did you travel the Northern region too? My route was the "classic" Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Pak Beng -> Huay Xai -> Chiang Mai.

Sabaidee... :)
Yeah.. I was there just before you.. I was at the north as well.. My route was slightly different from yours.. Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Muang Ngoi -> Phonsavan -> Vientiane -> Vietnam

Actually wanted to cross into Vietnam from Xam Neua but the border was closed so had to go down to Vientiane instead.. I missed out Luang Namtha and Phong Sali and also the southern part.. Would love to go there again..

I was in Laos backpacking alone for a month and met a lot of travellers but none of them Singaporean.. You can see my photos here. :D

Sokdee!! ;)

another good series here.... :thumbsup:

GDSNP said:
Sabaidee... :)
Yeah.. I was there just before you.. I was at the north as well.. My route was slightly different from yours.. Vientiane -> Vang Vieng -> Luang Prabang -> Muang Ngoi -> Phonsavan -> Vientiane -> Vietnam

Actually wanted to cross into Vietnam from Xam Neua but the border was closed so had to go down to Vientiane instead.. I missed out Luang Namtha and Phong Sali and also the southern part.. Would love to go there again..

I was in Laos backpacking alone for a month and met a lot of travellers but none of them Singaporean.. You can see my photos here. :D

Sokdee!! ;)

Sabaidee!

I see. Most 1st time travellers to Laos concentrate on the north due to the better accessibility and infrastructure. I did bump into 3 ladies on a short trip to Luang Prabang en route to Cambodia and a US-born doctor based in Singapore.

A whole month in Laos! That's a good length to explore the villages, do a couple of 3~5day treks and take in all the sights and sounds.

Will check out your albums later.

Cheers mate.

hahaha, its good to see fellow travellers enjoying laos too.

lovely photos, chaltan & gdsnp! reminds me a great deal abt my trip to laos back in 05 too. i entered from chiang kong (thailand), and took the same 2day boat trip frm huay xai to luang prabang :p i really miss LP, the old colonial feel & the slow relaxed pace, where you could just sit arnd daily and enjoy a nice fruit shake in the shade. i left laos frm vientianne... regretted not going down south to pak xe. i'm definately going back there when i've the time.

p/s check out this exhibition at orchard library now. it's by this lady who backpacked across pretty much arnd asia. i saw her photographs of laos yesterday and was smiling to myself like some sort of mad man.

Status
Not open for further replies.