landscape

canonmono

Nov 22, 2010
Yew Tee
regarding landscape i have a problem and that is 3/4 is mostly the sky while the remaining is buildings but in order to get the cloud and sky color that is closest to what is seen, the building will get quite dark, i think a CPL can solve this problem or issit due to some other problem?

regarding landscape i have a problem and that is 3/4 is mostly the sky while the remaining is buildings but in order to get the cloud and sky color that is closest to what is seen, the building will get quite dark, i think a CPL can solve this problem or issit due to some other problem?

i'm assuming ur talking abt a cloudy sky, and not a clear one.

if so, do exposure blending. the clouds diffuse so much light that the difference in amt of light from clouds vs buildings is such that clouds have more.

cpl... shldnt have much of an impact i guess.

I think you are referring to wide dynamic ranges which cameras cannot handle. Google "ND filter" and "dynamic range" to better understand your "problem" :D

I think you are referring to wide dynamic ranges which cameras cannot handle. Google "ND filter" and "dynamic range" to better understand your "problem" :D

Just an edit,

An ND filter here would not help- it only cuts light throughout the frame.

Specifically for your problem, better solutions for you to read up more on would be
1. GND (Graduated ND)
2. Exposure blending

Good luck researching. It has been covered a number of times. You can search CS, if not google for your answers.

As candycaine has rightfully pointed out, It is an issue of the scene having a larger dynamic range than the camera sensor. Specific to the building / sky issue , try reading up on what graduated neutral density filters do ( GND ) and also on exposure blending / HDR

You can PM me if u need further assistance

Happy shooting
Ryan

For buildings, you may find that exposure blending/HDR works better than GND, especially when there are multiple buildings of different heights in the photo