landscape: where & how to take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raine

Jul 10, 2004
Hey!
i'm a newbie in taking landscape and i was wondering if anyone has any tips to offer on taking landscape in black and white? And perhaps taking it at night?

and whether anyone knows of anywhere in singapore that has a nice ulu, never been touched by man before landscape look?

thanks so much in advance! :)

Could also try some of the off-shore islands. Makes an interesting weekend day trip!

raine said:
Hey!
i'm a newbie in taking landscape and i was wondering if anyone has any tips to offer on taking landscape in black and white? And perhaps taking it at night?

and whether anyone knows of anywhere in singapore that has a nice ulu, never been touched by man before landscape look?

never been touched... not so likely...

can go to Riceball bookshop at buy some nice B&W landscape book and see which are the style that appeals to you..

I know a few that are picturesque but not ulu though.

Changi Broadwalk is a must, Admiralty Jetty (the jetty though is no longer accessible, partially destroyed) facing the Causeway.

Theres also a former mining pit in the middle of Kent Ridge Park. Never been before, but heard its really beautiful at sunset.

Chek Jawa in Pulau Ubin, but pre-booking with National Parks Board is necessary, and till now I am still trying to book for 1 miserable place!

Punggol has quite a few sites as well, non-developed.

Lower Pierce Reservoir is possible as well.

Enjoy :)

ortega said:
read up on hyperfocal distance

Hi ortega,

What's hyperfocal distance??? Can suggest any website or book title to read. :)

TIA!!!

Cheers....

Add a few more:
- Sungei Buloh Wetlands
- Pulau Ubin

But better still, leave SG. Go to Pengarang in Johore. About 2 hrs drive. Or 1 hr if u take the ferry from Changi Point.

lolz! malaysia?! that one is abit too far for me lah. :) but what abt a place where i can have like a nice moon rise? is it even possible to catch a moon rising in singapore?! :O

and thanks ortega i will do a search on hyperfocal distance. it sounds a lot like a secret weapon that your syndrome character would use! :p

Slivester said:
Chek Jawa in Pulau Ubin, but pre-booking with National Parks Board is necessary, and till now I am still trying to book for 1 miserable place!

what do you mean need pre booking?
Do you mean we need to get written permission to go there?

raine said:
Hey!

Hi Raine,

Taking landscape photography in color and/or B&W are nice. It'll be best to shoot with a medium format camera like Mamiya SLR/TLR, Rolleiflex TLR, Seagull TLR, Yashica Mat TLR, Hasselblad SLR, Linhof Technorama 612/617 panoramic camera, Bronica SLR OR a large format view camera like Shen Hao. Medium & large format roll films give better tonal gradations and other details than 35mm, especially in B&W. Books to recommend will be Charlie Waite's In My Mind's Eye and The Making of Landscape Photographs.

Taking landscape at night is not that impossible but most likely during the sunset time period which most photographers do. When night falls all colors are flushed out as more shadows set in due to the surrounding lighting. At this point you have to do long exposures and with some other accessoeries like flashgun, torchlight etc to compensate and show more shadow details in dark areas. I recommend you a photographic book Night Photography by Andrew Sanderson. :)

Well based on the other guys' recommendations of the places, there are a couple that I have not been to myself i.e. Sungei Buloh Wetlands, Admiralty Jetty and Kent Ridge Park. Yes I agree that Punggol has quite a few places to explore for landscape photography. Pulau Ubin is one of the ideal places too. You can reach the highest quarry for a good birds' eye view. FYI there are 4-level platforms to the top. Better get a few friends to tag along.

Well there are some other desolated areas that are restricted for SAF exercise grounds. So better keep out of those areas. I'm not sure if this place is good - HSBC Treetop. You'll need lotsa walking to reach deep inside there from MacRitchie Reservoir. Think it's about 10km to-&-from. ;)

Anyway hope my 2-cents worth of information help you in a way or another. Cheers mate! :)

popeye said:
what do you mean need pre booking?
Do you mean we need to get written permission to go there?

I've been there for a few times this year and I wasn't able to go there too. You need to pre-book for registration and once there are enuff visiting people, the NPB will assign one or more tour guides (mostly are volunteers who are nature lovers or environmentalists) to guide you. Otherwise it's dangerous to wander there alone, even with friends. As you may not know when is the low & high tide periods and most important you do not know how deep or which area to walk down the coral reef areas. So better play safe than sorry. :)

Mezzotint said:
I've been there for a few times this year and I wasn't able to go there too. You need to pre-book for registration and once there are enuff visiting people, the NPB will assign one or more tour guides (mostly are volunteers who are nature lovers or environmentalists) to guide you. Otherwise it's dangerous to wander there alone, even with friends. As you may not know when is the low & high tide periods and most important you do not know how deep or which area to walk down the coral reef areas. So better play safe than sorry. :)

Yeah, pre-registration with the Pulau Ubin Police Post or NPB is definitely necessary; just a couple of years ago the government was about to commence on a land reclaimation project just off Chek Jawa, then they accidentally found this piece of rare marine habitat, and right now NPB is trying to conserve it as long as possible, as prefect as it is today. So, limited tourists and everyone have to go by schedule.

And most of the time, its mainly foreign tourists who somehow coincidently, gets the booking first. I blame the tour agencies.

Mezzotint said:
Hi Raine,

Taking landscape photography in color and/or B&W are nice. It'll be best to shoot with a medium format camera like Mamiya SLR/TLR, Rolleiflex TLR, Seagull TLR, Yashica Mat TLR, Hasselblad SLR, Linhof Technorama 612/617 panoramic camera, Bronica SLR OR a large format view camera like Shen Hao. Medium & large format roll films give better tonal gradations and other details than 35mm, especially in B&W. Books to recommend will be Charlie Waite's In My Mind's Eye and The Making of Landscape Photographs.

Taking landscape at night is not that impossible but most likely during the sunset time period which most photographers do. When night falls all colors are flushed out as more shadows set in due to the surrounding lighting. At this point you have to do long exposures and with some other accessoeries like flashgun, torchlight etc to compensate and show more shadow details in dark areas. I recommend you a photographic book Night Photography by Andrew Sanderson. :)

Well based on the other guys' recommendations of the places, there are a couple that I have not been to myself i.e. Sungei Buloh Wetlands, Admiralty Jetty and Kent Ridge Park. Yes I agree that Punggol has quite a few places to explore for landscape photography. Pulau Ubin is one of the ideal places too. You can reach the highest quarry for a good birds' eye view. FYI there are 4-level platforms to the top. Better get a few friends to tag along.

Well there are some other desolated areas that are restricted for SAF exercise grounds. So better keep out of those areas. I'm not sure if this place is good - HSBC Treetop. You'll need lotsa walking to reach deep inside there from MacRitchie Reservoir. Think it's about 10km to-&-from. ;)

Anyway hope my 2-cents worth of information help you in a way or another. Cheers mate! :)

thanks buddy! those were great tips. really appreciate all the help i'm getting from you guys. Was actually thinking of shooting 35mm, because its quite hard for me to get the medium format mamiya. with that, how much does a b&w medium format roll cost?

will post some night shots if i do get 'em out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.