Landscape shots: MF vs AF

wenzheng

Nov 7, 2007
Hi fellow cs-ers , I have a doubt to clarify. It is regarding shooting landscape shots with a tripod, hope experienced users in this area can give me some advice.

For non-tripod work I would usually use auto focus. However I am wondering for landscapes shots on the tripod, should I use manual focus or 'wide' AF or specific point AF mode to get the optimal background/foreground focus.

Also, if MF/specific point AF is better, then where should i focus on? say for example I'm shooting sunset aiming the sea. Thanks all! :p

dingaroo

Dec 6, 2009
Singapore | East
I leave it to MF, and focal length to infinity. That way, everything captured is sharp.

Not forgetting the Aperture, my rule of thumb is 8 and above, and depends on what you want to capture.

Last edited:

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
I like MF.
But I think some lenses don't have a hard stop at infinity focus. Makes it difficult.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
i af when af can do the work. for landscapes unless somehow the af catches focus wrongly, i find af quick and easy.

as to the second query u can look up the concept of hyperfocal distance especially if ur lens supports distance scales. Else i usually place focus roughly 1/3 into the scene and shoot at smaller apertures (this is coming from a person who shoots when time for setting up a tripod can be a premium .. )

ryan

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
i use af.

unless i need hyperfocal distance due to extreme depth of field needed to keep everything sharp..

alternatively, i use mf when i use a nd110, because cannot use af with that filter over the lens.

wenzheng

Nov 7, 2007
wow thanks for overwhelming response.. i'm really thankful for all the input! it seems that most of the users here use AF unless under difficult scenarios. :lovegrin:

Top Bottom