Landscape shoot AAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

alancwr

Sep 23, 2007
went for my 1st try @ shooting landscape, encountered some problems which i not really too sure how to solve it, hope can get some answers here

this 2 is probably the better 1s that i have taken for today.

questions
1.) i somehow feel that the pictures are not very clear like out of focus kind of feeling...
2.) the lights are kinda flaring

is there any ways i can solve the problem??is it my lens??

my equipment
canon 1000d
18-55mm kit lens w no filter
my tripod

settings
f18-22
long exposure
as for the w/b balance i've played with it to acheive the similar colours to what i see
iso 100

my thoughts on this outing is probably i might need to get a better tripod, te tripod takes too long to deploy n its kinda short...having a back pack n a remote shutter would be a good addition, the shoulder bag i have is kind of a hindrance to me when i set up my tripod as for remote is i can just sit down n keep pressing haha

sorry for the wall of text, just to share share

1. Blur pic could be due to unstable tripod, camera shake (did you use a 2 second delay?), mis focus.
2. I don't see any flare in your picture. In any case if there are, removing any filter or a lens hood might mitigate the problem.
if you mean the light source is glaring, pp using dodge and burn will solve the problem.

Edit: at f18, diffraction may set in.. causing picture to be not as sharp.

Last edited:
oh 2-sec delay, point taken point taken, i did not set 2 sec delay...

anyway i set my camera @ f22, i've asked ard many said its the aperture too narrow...
as for filters, i do not have filters on, what is dodge n burn??

oh 2-sec delay, point taken point taken, i did not set 2 sec delay...

anyway i set my camera @ f22, i've asked ard many said its the aperture too narrow...
as for filters, i do not have filters on, what is dodge n burn??

don't go smaller than f/16. You will get diffraction.

As for dodge and burn, try a search on google. It's basic post processing.

okay...thanks to all, i've learnt a lot today, not just from here and from hwz also

Post Processing is a very important aspect as well. You can sharpen the photo, tweak the curves and saturation.

hmmm okay thank you very much will try it out

after the last shoot, i went back to take pictures again, this time ard with all the tips i have gathered, i find that this time there's a better result.
but i find that the 1st picture is somewhat "fuzzy" i dun know how to explain it, #2 picture also the same just less "fuzzy"

can any expert here give some opinion?

Canon 1000D w 18-55 kit lens
F10
ISO 100
2 secs delay
IS OFF
MF

just push up the contrast by a lil' when you post process your photos.

god u come in ready, possible to do without post processing??

i dun have post processing programs

god u come in ready, possible to do without post processing??

i dun have post processing programs
i am not sure how ya gonna do it without post processing.

maybe you can set your own custom picture style to saturate the colors but it only works if you shoot jpg.

not that it is very difficult to get it right when you shoot the pic but sometimes environmental factors may affect how the pic looks like. e.g surrounding lights, dust, mist etc.

what we see does not mean the camera will see the same things too, vice versa.

a lil' post processing will help to boomify the colours if you will. try getting your hands on photoshop elements, should be able to cater to your needs.

Last edited:
i am not sure how ya gonna do it without post processing.

maybe you can set your own custom picture style to saturate the colors but it only works if you shoot jpg.

not that it is very difficult to get it right when you shoot the pic but sometimes environmental factors may affect how the pic looks like. e.g surrounding lights, dust, mist etc.

what we see does not mean the camera will see the same things too, vice versa.

a lil' post processing will help to boomify the colours if you will. try getting your hands on photoshop elements, should be able to cater to your needs.
hmmm okay, can think probably will try my hands at post processing...

hmmm okay, can think probably will try my hands at post processing...
yup, for me i feel that 70% is shooting the pic, 30% goes to post processing.

your canon DPP that comes with your cam is enough to do some basic PP.

just learn how to use curves! its very useful.

see my post here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7003791&postcount=104

just rem to shoot in raw format!
oh yes, DPP is good enough for basic use.

besides curves, you can play with the usual white balance, contrast, saturation, sharpness too.

after the last shoot, i went back to take pictures again, this time ard with all the tips i have gathered, i find that this time there's a better result.
but i find that the 1st picture is somewhat "fuzzy" i dun know how to explain it, #2 picture also the same just less "fuzzy"

can any expert here give some opinion?

Canon 1000D w 18-55 kit lens
F10
ISO 100
2 secs delay
IS OFF
MF

Can you elaborate about "fuzzy"? I'm not sure what you mean.

Anyways, post processing is about vision, shooting is about composition; frankly speaking, for me, both are equal weightage.

me more extreme...

90% shooting the pic, 10% PP :bsmilie: cos my PP skills sucks, i need to shoot it right in the first place.

ok la, i dont like to fret over the colours and such when i shoot a pic. i prefer to get the composition and exposure right first, before i look into other things. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.