landscape or portrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
Sorry that I have to post 2 pics for critique. i know that I am supposed to post only one but in this case I really want to find out what you ppl think and feel. Let me know if both these pics dont make it and why. Thanks

large.jpg

OR

large.jpg

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions :)

i love the landscape one.
Reason is, in my opinion, the boat is not very prominent as a focal point; all the detail of the stuff behind the boat are sharp too so if you are trying to bring the boat out as a main subject it doesn't work so well, thus the landscape one would work better since it'd be more like a full shot of the scene instead of the boat alone. Simply put, focus on the boat if u want to (blur out the rest or simply go nearer, make the boat look bigger) or have the landscape shot as a general scenic shot. Feel free to disagree and debate, because thats the way to improve :D

Thanks Ilario for your comments. I totally agree with you about the focal point in both pictures but I thot that the portrait shot will bring the focus onto the boat in the foreground as it is not as cluttered as the one in landscape. :dunno: I'm not sure.

Another question, how do I get the boat sharp with a good bokeh of the bg if I am using a wide angle lens. Thot of going lower down nearer the boat and shooting wide open but I am using 17mm f4.0. Will 16mm f2.8 do better?? :dunno:

i like the landscape better......

i think the landscape one has much more merit for the primary reason that there is nothing interesting happening in the sky for the portrait one

now if there were beautiful swirley clouds above the stern of the ship.. you could see why that would make a portrait choice better, no? right now for the portrait shot there is just too much space, with nothing going on there.

that said, the landscape one appears a little washed out, would prefer a bit more contrast. for perspective, standing at that very position and perhaps rotating clockwise significantly might give you a better framing, though i couldn't say for sure

I prefer the portrait. Reason being, the portrait view is clean and has strong leading lines whereas for the landscape shot, my eyes tends to wonder around the scene not knowing what the focal point of the shot is.

the landscape one works for me. the portrait one would be good if there was more room for the sky & the boats take up less space on the bottom. of course, a dramatic sky would help too :)

too much distortion in the portrait shot to work for me.

you'd need a much larger aperture, and/or get much closer to the subject. But with a WA/UWA... you're going to introduce even more distortion by getting up so close.

Perhaps the only way to really separate this boat subject from the tens of other boats in the background would be to go telephoto... that way you can skip the distortion, have a narrower DOF... but then it will introduce the problem of having all the boats looking like they are stacked right on top of each other (compression).

Status
Not open for further replies.