Landscape on Canvas

tansrb

Nov 6, 2007

Lens used: 18-135mm
Exposure : 1/2000sec
Aperture: f4.5
ISO: 100

In what area is critique to be sought?
all critiques are welcomed. my first venture into photography and im sure it's with many faults that i'd like to correct. post processing done was zero. i hope to learn more about how i can process this picture into a better looking one. unfortunately i took this picture in jpeg and now raw

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
perspective from the artists' view

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
picture taken in hangzhou, China, in the town of hongchun. was walking along the river when i chanced upon a painter painting the landscape of the village.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
picture is too blur. not as sharp as i wanted it to be.

sharpness seems fine. Perhaps you meant depth of field?

Composition I would go behind the artist, go lower capture abit more of the sky rather than the river and zoom in more to have direct comparision between the drawing and the object he is drawing. Seems abit weird to cut off the artist halfway, either include him or don't, I opt for the later since the hand and the brush interests me more than his head.

Just some quick 2cents worth of suggestions.

agree with gundamseed84, in this photo, it is not really clear that he is actually drawing the scene in front, look at what he is drawing, include the same scene in your photo for comparison, i think it is fine to have the background slightly blur to let the viewer focus on the drawing.

looking at the large image in your flickr, i realized that the focus was actually on the artist's body, and the drawing is out of focus, you should have focused on the drawing instead, learn how to choose your AF point to tell the camera to focus on your actual subject, i am helping you to post the large file of this photo here for others to see better, let me know if you prefer to have it taken down. :)

6973928729_53c1fccf03_b.jpg

Not good in composition yet so can't comment much on this, but agree with the above, if there is a similar composition between yours and the artists' then it will be interesting.

As for the 'blur', I note that you are using F4.5 and shutter speed of 1/2000. You can consider increasing aperture to F8-11 as the shutter speed is fast enough to limit motion blur so there can be more depth of field (If this is the effect that you want).

Thanks for sharing =)

thanks guys for the comments! any thing else i can take note of? like how to improve the overall quality of my pictures..

thanks to the guys who helped me post the picture too..

TS, I think you are referring to Hongcun, Huanshan city of Anhui Province and not Hangzhou.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
picture taken in hangzhou, China, in the town of hongchun. was walking along the river when i chanced upon a painter painting the landscape of the village.

TS, I think you are referring to Hongcun, Huanshan city of Anhui Province and not Hangzhou.

yes that's correct. thanks for correction :)

yes that's correct. thanks for correction :)