landscape mode vs Apeture Priority mode

jojovan

Deregistered
Sep 24, 2010
As a newbie, I'm browsing the web, hoping to get more info on using the features of my first DSLR.

For taking landscape some webby suggested landscape mode, while the other suggested Apeture Priority mode. Which is better?

Apeture Priority mode does give me more control, but will it compromise the sharpeness of landscape mode?

I am very new to DSLR, kindly share with me your opinion. Thanks.

if you can understand what landscape and aperture priority mode do in terms of depth of field and aperture size, then you should be able to answer your own question easily.

landscape mode is sharper?

really? i just thought it was more saturated...

if you post process, aperture priority will be better - keep it at neutral settings.

if you don't want to post process, either will be fine, just as long as you know what you're doing.

in short, doesn't matter, as long as you know what you're doing. do you?

landscape mode give you more depth of field, not sharper.

basically, landscape mode will use smallest aperture setting as possible,

Aperture Priority mode will let user to decide which aperture setting he/she want to use. camera will decide what shutter speed to be use in order to get optimum exposure.

That is the main different.

landscape mode give you more depth of field, not sharper.

basically, landscape mode will use smallest aperture setting as possible,

Aperture Priority mode will let user to decide which aperture setting he/she want to use. camera will decide what shutter speed to be use in order to get optimum exposure.

That is the main different.

Eeee... Bro catchlight, I think TS is using a Canon and might look sharper in landscape mode. As in Landscape mode the picture style will be "LandScape", where the sharpness and contrast is set to high by default.

So if TS wants that in AV mode, I believe it can also be achieve by changing the picture style to "Landscape" but all these happens only if TS shoot in JPEG.

Last edited:
wait.. i think TS is not talking about the picture style (eg canon's picture style) but rather those modes buttons on the camera...

landscape, sports, night mode all auto modes

vs

aperture priority, shutter priority, manual mode

Yah but when u set it to LandScape mode the default picture style that it is using is also Landscape mah.

Landscape mode simply automates the setting of the aperture to whatever the camera can give at given situation with a bias to smaller aperture (ie. bigger f number). This results shots that have generally larger depth of field.
Eg. If exposure can be 1/240 f2.8 in 'picture mode', 'Landscape mode' will choose 1/60 f5.6 (ie. larger f number).

In Av mode, the user is the one who decides for him/herself the DOF required and resultant shutter speed as well.

So as in the example above (1/60 f5.6), the camera in 'Landscape mode' has chosen f5.6 while keeping 1/60 as a hand holdable shutter speed. f5.6 may not be giving the greatest DOF, but that is what the camera has selected to give what it thinks is a hand holdable shutter speed. There is lack of total control by user. Say, if the user was able to brace himself real well and can live with 1/30 shutter speed, he may opt to use f8 which gives him even more DOF.

I've not used this mode for so long, I don't know if the camera selects other settings like color vibrancy/sharpening/etc

Last edited:
Eeee... Bro catchlight, I think TS is using a Canon and might look sharper in landscape mode. As in Landscape mode the picture style will be "LandScape", where the sharpness and contrast is set to high by default.

So if TS wants that in AV mode, I believe it can also be achieve by changing the picture style to "Landscape" but all these happens only if TS shoot in JPEG.
TS is using Nikon D90, see his signature. But then, it doesn't matter. Both modes are available on most DSLR (except high end models).