Landscape lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Hi...would AF 20mm F2.8D be recommended for landscape photography or are there better choices at ard the same price:D

yea but its like double the price:what: ...anymore guys?

seanlim said:
yea but its like double the price:what: ...anymore guys?
for double the price u get more thn twice img area, as in ur frame will include almost 4x more landscape.

or u can get the tokina 12-24 which is almost comparable to the nikkor

Will get the Tokina 12-24mm if I were you. Consider that you may want to frame things differently each time you shoot, and if you're sticking to the usual 'touristy lookouts', there's not much zooming you can do with your feet. I also wouldn't consider 20mm to be very wide if you factor in the 1.5X FOV crop factor.

Could i add a filter and make a 20mm become 40mm?:dunno:

seanlim said:

Not that I know of. There are closeup filters for lenses and extension tubes that allow you to get closer to your subject. But I don't know of anything that physically increases the focal length and hence the reach and change the field of view of a lens.

seanlim said:

filter i don't think so... i think ur talking about a 2x teleconverter...

most filters fit on the front of the lens, most slr teleconverters fit between the camera and the lens.

but why u wanna turn a 20mm into a 40mm? a used 50mm prime won't cost that much more than a tc...

i had a childisd idea to use a prime and turn it into zoom lens by adding filters...guess i cant\:confused:

fWord said:
Will get the Tokina 12-24mm if I were you. Consider that you may want to frame things differently each time you shoot, and if you're sticking to the usual 'touristy lookouts', there's not much zooming you can do with your feet. I also wouldn't consider 20mm to be very wide if you factor in the 1.5X FOV crop factor.

have you use before the Tokina 12-24mm?
Image wise i would get 20mm for landscape,The tokina is too wide for me.

im trying to stick to Nikon:D

seanlim said:
im trying to stick to Nikon:D

That's okay...I don't know how much a Nikon 12-24mm costs though, but it wouldn't be cheap. I only thought that it might interest you to have a lens that goes from 12-24mm instead of a straight 20mm prime. Imagine the framing possibilities you could have with a really wide lens. Personally, the widest I can get on my setup now is something around 28.8mm, and I have on more than a few occasions wanted to go wider than that. The 20mm prime will give you an equivalent of the FOV of a 30mm lens. Given the choice, I would definitely hope for something wider.

zaxh81 said:
have you use before the Tokina 12-24mm?
Image wise i would get 20mm for landscape,The tokina is too wide for me.
i have the 12-24, theres no such thing as [too wide] when shooting landscape

roti_prata said:
i have the 12-24, theres no such thing as [too wide] when shooting landscape

what i reply is too wide for me.
if there is no such thing then why not you go get a 10.5mm or 8mm?

I would suggest you using your kit lens for the time being, till you can't shoot anything better with the kit lens.

This shot was shot with the kit lens, and I'm still keeping the lens.
aeroplane.jpg

This shot was shot with Nkion 18~35 f3.5~4.5 lens, which I sold somtime ago.
DSC_3866.jpg

This shot also shot with kit lens.
DSC_2691_cs.jpg

seanlim said:
Hi...would AF 20mm F2.8D be recommended for landscape photography or are there better choices at ard the same price:D

why you want 20mm f2.8 for shooting landscape? If you have the nikon D70 kit lens, which is 18mm-70mm f3.5-4.5, it is just as good. There is a little more distortion using the kit lens but I think it is not very noticeable in landscape. not much straight lines.

Most landscapes uses small f-stops to get sufficient DOF. I really see not much advantage in using 20mm f2.8 in landscape. The lack of zooming is a BIG disadvantage to whatever gains you made in distortion.

:cool: Im using D50 and not D70...anw i find the quality of the D50 kit lens not that great so i want a Sharp wide angle lens

Status
Not open for further replies.