Landscape - Hills and Streams Critique!

Choobie

Jan 5, 2014
Singapore
Hi,

I'm really new having just started photography on my recent trip to Taiwan, so these photos are taken over there.

I'm looking for some input in terms of composition as well as Manual Settings as I've shot most of these in that setting (Just trying out - I know I haven't gotten a full grasp of it yet).

I know many people say to shoot in Auto as a beginner, but i'd like to bridge the gap and jump into learning more as fast as possible. Hence just trying out.

These were shot with an Olympus E-PM1

An example is here:

11754936933_a20c0fb21d_z.jpg

f6.3/ISO 200/1/320 Exposure

More shots in my set!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm really new having just started photography on my recent trip to Taiwan, so these photos are taken over there.

I'm looking for some input in terms of composition as well as Manual Settings as I've shot most of these in that setting (Just trying out - I know I haven't gotten a full grasp of it yet).

I know many people say to shoot in Auto as a beginner, but i'd like to bridge the gap and jump into learning more as fast as possible. Hence just trying out.

These were shot with an Olympus E-PM1

An example is here:

11754936933_a20c0fb21d_z.jpg

f6.3/ISO 200/1/320 Exposure

More shots in my set!

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing.Compositionally you should try the 1/3 rule of dividing the frame.Shot in early morning with
overcast sky which is featureless.Try stepping further back to include the roof of the foreground building that way
it's 1/3 balanced and not truncated so the wall,rail road tracks and buildings lead the eye to the mountains.

Edit: On a further note maybe you could include more of the wall as it creates a frame of sorts balancing the right side.You don't need to go full manual as semi-auto like AV- selecting aperture or TV- shutter speed selection would free you to compose your frame.
Don't know which metering mode you chose probably matrix as granite floor seem overexposed
perhaps you could have taken another shot by adjusting EV-1 (underexpose by 1 stop).But you
can do a pseudo HDR processing using 1 frame only to get the contrast back in the foreground and overall detail like sky and mountains back.

Last edited:
Not an expert just my 2 cents ;)

Nice use of the railway tracks as leading lines into the horizon

The harsh light and featureless sky are working against you, reducing the appeal of the image, however as you are traveling it is hard to control the weather conditions

(btw... hmm just wondering where are the streams as mentioned in the title?)

With regards to Manual settings, there is no hard and fast rule, there are experts who use the Programme mode and get great results. Most important is that you know why are you choosing the settings, and if the image did not turn out as intended how to adjust the settings accordingly.

Thanks for sharing :)

just saying, im no expert either.
the photo could be tilted slightly to the right?
so that the photo is straight, it feels a little tilted to me.

also, the shadow on the left, perhaps you could leave it out?
by going to after that wall then shoot?
or shotting from the ground so you have some foreground images/a different perspective.

just my opinion :)

as others have already commented, the photo lacks balance....blown out sky on the left, buildings on the right.....dark shadow next to tracks on the left.
try to get a decent sky in the image, the lighting is often the hardest part....and explore HDR if you like to get a wider dynamic range in your image.
11858121366_a4bba21f8e_o.jpg

Last edited: