Landscape clear focus problem

moment-sg

Mar 10, 2009
Hi peeps, I think I have a problem in focusing clearly through viewfinder and lcd.

you need to provide us with more details, so we can provide better advise. :)

Like your settings, MF/AF, aperture and so on.

Possible reason for less-sharp pics are:

misfocus
IS on while on tripod
Movement due to unstable tripod
diffraction due to very small aperture use may also cause pic to be less sharp

for landscape shooting, learn to manual focus and read up on hyper focal distance.

Last edited:
sorry about the lack of details.. I took this photo on a tripod using a canon 60d w/ tamron 17-50mm non-VC lens. I viewed through the viewfinder and LCD, I believe it was clearly focus. I did use the jetty as the focusing point (manual focus). Now the photo came outout of focus.. Is it my eyes or is it me using the wrong technique to focus?

Aperture is at f/32 @ 17mm, shutter speed: 10 secs, ISO 100

which part of the photo is not sharp? which part of the photo you want it sharp sharp??

Aperture is at f/32 @ 17mm, shutter speed: 10 secs, ISO 100

Probably it's diffraction..try using a larger aperture.probably f/8-16

Last edited:
which part of the photo is not sharp? which part of the photo you want it sharp sharp??

To me.. the entire photo isn't sharp =X

motion blur on cloud and water, your exposure at 10 sec is too long. If you want everything to be sharp, try shoot at F11 and faster shutter....

I see.. thanks Reno. So its not my eye focusing problem? cos I am wearing spectacles and my specs seems to have slight barrel distortion.. hope it does not affect my focusing

I see.. thanks Reno. So its not my eye focusing problem? cos I am wearing spectacles and my specs seems to have slight barrel distortion.. hope it does not affect my focusing

I seriously thought you were trying to do long exposure and know what you are doing..

By doing long exposure, trees, water, clouds and all non stationery objects cannot be sharp because they move.

I seriously thought you were trying to do long exposure and know what you are doing..

By doing long exposure, trees, water, clouds and all non stationery objects cannot be sharp because they move.

Actually I am doing long exposure. But at least the jetty should be sharp.. to my eyes its not.

Actually I am doing long exposure. But at least the jetty should be sharp.. to my eyes its not.

Because of diffraction....

The only type of lens I know can tahan F/32 safely without visible diffraction is a macro lens. Just my opinion, not fact.

as the rest have mentioned: diffraction and movement.

also as to why the jetty isn't sharp? it looks to be on stilts? they're pretty unstable

Last edited:
as the rest have mentioned: diffraction and movement.

also as to why the jetty isn't sharp? it looks to be on stilts? they're pretty unstable

some possible reason
1. Improper exposure.
2. Vibration on ground.
3. heat wave.

May sound illogical.... lol

some possible reason
1. Improper exposure.
2. Vibration on ground.
3. heat wave.

May sound illogical.... lol

lol heatwave in the evening? pretty rare.

but vibration on the ground is very likely.

but most likely cause is the slow shutter speed and diffraction at f32.