Lamp Post

benrock

Mar 15, 2014
Singapore
13168146994_95014bbdd0_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I'm kind a newbie here and really want to get you guys inputs or comments about this, so tell me what you think of the photo as a whole and I will welcome any critique you can throw.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The intention of this photo is to have a feel of old, plain black and white photo

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
I was caught in a rain and waited under a shed, and saw this scenery and saw a pattern where the lamp post and the trees are forming like a triangular shape.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
I think its great. But hope you give me an honest and helpful opinion so that I can grow more in photography.

Thank you so much Guys.

Last edited:
Hi bro!
Welcome to the world of photography! :D

I have some humble advice on your picture, hope it helps!

1. The sky is blown out. Would rather see some details in the sky because the white patch draws some my attention to see nothing ):
2. The picture is slightly overexposed. For me, I believe that B&W photos should be highly contrasted and more blacks then white because blacks have various degrees of grey while white is just.. white. So many details are missing if picture is overexposed.

Below is an edit I feel it is "better" if you don't mind, I underexposed the picture a bit and added a strong vignetting to draw your attention to your subject (which is triangle of trees and lamp post) however there is actually nothing much I can do cause it's a jpeg in b&w already.. hope this helps!

Hi Dave.

Thank you for your comment and suggestion, I think you are right, the white patch almost washed out my subject. I think my eyes were tricked by my laptop screen caused I usually work with my lcd brightness set to dim. Thank you so much I really appreciate for sharing your idea.

Hi bro!
Welcome to the world of photography! :D

I have some humble advice on your picture, hope it helps!

1. The sky is blown out. Would rather see some details in the sky because the white patch draws some my attention to see nothing ):
2. The picture is slightly overexposed. For me, I believe that B&W photos should be highly contrasted and more blacks then white because blacks have various degrees of grey while white is just.. white. So many details are missing if picture is overexposed.

Below is an edit I feel it is "better" if you don't mind, I underexposed the picture a bit and added a strong vignetting to draw your attention to your subject (which is triangle of trees and lamp post) however there is actually nothing much I can do cause it's a jpeg in b&w already.. hope this helps!

13168146994_95014bbdd0_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?]

I'm kind a newbie here and really want to get you guys inputs or comments about this, so tell me what you think of the photo as a whole and I will welcome any critique you can throw.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

The intention of this photo is to have a feel of old, plain black and white photo

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?

I was caught in a rain and waited under a shed, and saw this scenery and saw a pattern where the lamp post and the trees are forming like a triangular shape.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

I think its great. But hope you give me an honest and helpful opinion so that I can grow more in photography.

Thank you so much Guys.

Hi Benrock,

Great effort for this image! :)

Areas for improvement: This image might be better off as a vertical portrait shot, especially when the lamp is one of your primary focuses.

Consider this:

$lampost.jpg

In addition, the human element is missing in this shed, probably because of the rain. :) It would be good to have one or two human figures in the backdrop.

Consider this image taken at the Botanical Garden:

$garden.jpg

I hope that the above helps. :)