Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwine

Jan 20, 2008
Hi,

I just try out the Lambency Diffuser with my SB-600+D90,
Notice that almost all my pix's subject hair top portion have an halo effect.

Anyone encounter similar problem ?

I'm suspecting either my flash is place too high (i use it wirelessly on a tripod),
or the effects is cause by the bounce from ceiling.

Tks

Any images to show?

Any images to show?

OK:

halo.png

oh she got a lot grey hair ;p

btw, bro, i thinking to buy that lambency....if u dont like, sell to me.

its called specular highlights, hair has a natural sheen which easily reflects light..

the intensity of the highlight depends on the relative size of your light source, a small light source is much more intense over that small area and whatever direct reflections that come off the hair would be intense as well.. it isn't the light bouncing off the ceiling that causes the highlights, but the diffuser itself as it acts something like a bare bulb.. in this case, having the bare flash bouncing off the celing would control the specular highlights..

oh she got a lot grey hair ;p

btw, bro, i thinking to buy that lambency....if u dont like, sell to me.

I'm learning to overcome it wor,
instead of giving up.
Anyway, i think there's a MassOrder from CSer ShutterCentral,
you can get it from him.

its called specular highlights, hair has a natural sheen which easily reflects light..

the intensity of the highlight depends on the relative size of your light source, a small light source is much more intense over that small area and whatever direct reflections that come off the hair would be intense as well.. it isn't the light bouncing off the ceiling that causes the highlights, but the diffuser itself as it acts something like a bare bulb.. in this case, having the bare flash bouncing off the celing would control the specular highlights..

Thanks Chan,
If bouncing is not possible,
Is there other option like adjusting the height of the speedlite ?
I would like to prevent these halo and at the same time have nice catchlight.

Rgds

the position of the light doesn't really matter, its the size of the light.. a softbox or umbrella would work here..or just a bounce card for that catchlight..

Last edited:
the position of the light doesn't really matter, its the size of the light.. a softbox or umbrella would work here..or just a bounce card for that catchlight..

I guess position of the light plays a part. Reflection of the light always has an angle. So, if ur camera is in the path of reflected light, u may see the light.

I guess position of the light plays a part. Reflection of the light always has an angle. So, if ur camera is in the path of reflected light, u may see the light.

so...is there any way to prevent that with the lambency? Since the light source is so close to the lens, i don't think so :think:

the above pix,
if i remember correctly,

speedlite to subject abt 2m,
camera to subject abt 3m,

Will try to increase the speedlite & camera to abt 3-5m and see how.

Status
Not open for further replies.