Lake District, England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpc

Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Has anyone been there or is staying around that area at the moment???

Am making a trip (about 8 days, excluding the other reason for being in that country) there and was wondering what are the places which is a must-see spots...

Would appreciate if anyone could give some information or share what they did for their trip there.

Thanks!

have never been there yet but plan to go there in the near future while i'm still in london -

go to the national library and borrow a guide book on england, generally you will be able to see the more famous areas being detailed out

some of my friends have been there, when i asked them whether got any particular spot, they said, just walk around, as long as you have a half-decent map there is ALWAYS things to see in terms of scenics in this area. have fun. :)

ian cameron has a number of photos here (i think under summer mostly for lake district), you can take a quick look at them :)

Hi, all of the Lake District is beautiful, so you won't be disappointed.

Google or get a book from the library to check out the best areas for where you will be staying. I often use flickr to search an area.

Have lots of fun and make sure you have some warm clothes.

Hello

The Lake District is an absolutely beautiful place. It does pay to wake up early and catch the sunrise, and hanging around the lakes around and after sunset is a very peaceful experience.

When I was there in 2006, I stayed at YHA Ambleside, which is right next to Lake Windermere, the largest natural lake in England. It's cheap, the view's great, and it's pretty near the town.

Hello

The Lake District is an absolutely beautiful place. It does pay to wake up early and catch the sunrise, and hanging around the lakes around and after sunset is a very peaceful experience.

When I was there in 2006, I stayed at YHA Ambleside, which is right next to Lake Windermere, the largest natural lake in England. It's cheap, the view's great, and it's pretty near the town.

At which time of the year were you there? Did you drive around the different lake areas while staying at 1 location or move around the area?

Thanks to all, was hoping someone would have done this trip and could share further, but I supposed this is not a "well-known" or "well-like" place as compared to other areas in the world...

Since I will be overseas, I left the library trip to my coz who is going on the trip with me... As for google, well, I started to do it, but had not much time to shift thru all the available materials online as yet...

I guess back to google then... Meantime, if someone who has been there and is able to share... Would appreciate it...

If i ever get a chance to retire somewhere, it would be the Lake District. Went there for a holiday, just a overnight stay (too bad as tight on money). Stayed in a typical british cottage beside a small stream in Amberville. I tell u u wont want to leave the place after visiting it. Went there around May which was a lovely time. See the links for the pictures. Some day I will go back again. Am telling my daughter that she should work there and stay there so that mom and dad can go and stay with her !!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11563093@N06/sets/72157603679550996/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11563093@N06/sets/72157603679522010/

At which time of the year were you there? Did you drive around the different lake areas while staying at 1 location or move around the area?

I went in May/June. I was 16 at that time, therefore no driving licence. I hiked a bit and walked a lot. Stayed in one location throughout. Further lakes and places were just day trips.

1009239300_cbcb54fa72_m.jpg

this place may not be well known to asians but there will be lotsa locals during the summer hols. I was there back in 97 May. Reached there by train and stayed in a B&B. their houses are really nice built using slate plates

Thanks to all, was hoping someone would have done this trip and could share further, but I supposed this is not a "well-known" or "well-like" place as compared to other areas in the world...

Since I will be overseas, I left the library trip to my coz who is going on the trip with me... As for google, well, I started to do it, but had not much time to shift thru all the available materials online as yet...

I guess back to google then... Meantime, if someone who has been there and is able to share... Would appreciate it...
you're about a year too early :bsmilie:

i might go there sometime between this coming summer and next

it is well-known, especially locally, but that's the trouble - only the locals would go. you won't expect someone who's flown all the way from singapore to say, study or work here to not take advantage of the cheap (relatively) airfares to the neighbouring countries instead of exploring the uk itself. :bsmilie:

you're about a year too early :bsmilie:

i might go there sometime between this coming summer and next

it is well-known, especially locally, but that's the trouble - only the locals would go. you won't expect someone who's flown all the way from singapore to say, study or work here to not take advantage of the cheap (relatively) airfares to the neighbouring countries instead of exploring the uk itself. :bsmilie:

Er... But you are already in UK... Shouldn't be touring of the UK be 1st in list??? Hmmm... Ok, maybe I am not thinking like most pple... ;p Then again, I had already travelled to some of its neighbouring countries before...

hi ALPC. i'm going there in June :) from what i've read so far, first timers should consider either going to Penrith (northern lakes) or Windermere (southern lakes). there are straight trains there from manchester picadilly station.

basically it's a lot of trekking in summer. there are cruises and visits to falls as well.

June? That would be Summer period... which means it would be crowded... I am going in end March, and am still in process of finding out info on this place. I believe my base will be Windermere or somewhere near there, taking the British rail thingy, which allows 4 stops anywhere in UK (from what I heard).

Darn it, now where is that website which shows the different drive routes....

You can check the train times and fares on this website. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

When you reached Manchester Piccadilly Station (a major train station of the rail artery), take the train to Oxenholme Lake District Station. The fare is about 13.90 pounds.

You can also ask at the tour office at the town hall. I think there is a daily bus that goes there.

I used to go there a lot. The best is to get there by car because it is a rather big place. ^^

You can check the train times and fares on this website. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

When you reached Manchester Piccadilly Station (a major train station of the rail artery), take the train to Oxenholme Lake District Station. The fare is about 13.90 pounds.

You can also ask at the tour office at the town hall. I think there is a daily bus that goes there.

I used to go there a lot. The best is to get there by car because it is a rather big place. ^^

Ah yes, Oxenholme, that's the station... My coz mention it, but somehow it did not stick in my mind... Oh, you mean the fare for the train ride from Manchester to Oxenholme is only 13.90 pounds?? Wow, I thought it would be more expensive than that...

I assumed you used to go Lake district a lot??? We are not able to rent cars from Oxenholme? Thought of doing that while in the area...

Now looking at B&B lodgings as well...

Ah yes, Oxenholme, that's the station... My coz mention it, but somehow it did not stick in my mind... Oh, you mean the fare for the train ride from Manchester to Oxenholme is only 13.90 pounds?? Wow, I thought it would be more expensive than that...

I assumed you used to go Lake district a lot??? We are not able to rent cars from Oxenholme? Thought of doing that while in the area...

Now looking at B&B lodgings as well...

Yeps, and the tickets have several categories. It is best to ask the rail staff (because I used to have a student concession). The normal fees may be a bit higher, but generally traveling by train in UK is considered cheap. Have fun! :)

Ah... Student concession... That's a whole lot of difference in pricing...

Anyway, found some good guide website which shows 4 different drive routes... I suppose that would do as well, since I cannot find the previous website with the 5 drive routes...

B&B search to continue...

Hey Alps,

i went to a uni which is not far away from lake district. Maybe i can help you with what little memory i have of that place. I suggest you rent a car and drive around, explore the surrounding small roads. That way, u need not rush for the trains. Lake district is an hour drive from Lancaster, about 2 hours away from Liverpool and Manchester. (i think. never drove from both cities) In addition, it is a big lake surrounded by many small towns. Basically, the only town worth going is Windermere. i think kendall is all right though. End march is better than June, cool weather, not too many tourists. :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.