Laies & Gentlemen: Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spilot

May 4, 2002
Jurong West Extension
Visit site
The following are not a total mystery to me - however, I often seek second opinions :

1) How good, is the 800si Minolta body ?

2) Why does the Minolta AF 50mm f-1.4 costs S$350.00 only ?
Or could I have gotten it for cheaper ?

Well, I look forward to some feedback from you all nice people in here...

Regards,

CJ

I've just seen your other thread asking for advice as well. It's a pity you didn't wait longer for responses (to be fair, you gave us all of half a day I think!). The Dynax 800si has had a long history of technical problems, particularly with firmware but also on compatibility with older minolta lenses. Some users also report consistent underexposure by about 0.3 stops, you'd best use a known calibrated meter to check your set to make sure it's alright. This happens even straight out of the factory, not necessarily only after someone else's soul has been thru it for years.

;)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Oh dear, looks like you got a lemon? Why the impatience? ;p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thanks Jed,

I will bring the unit I got to Minolta service center and see if they can check it out for me regarding the firmware issues - I wouldn't want under ex'd pics now do we ?

Yes, I was hasty in getting things done, time is shorter when we get older....

Regards,

CJ

LOL, it was just a joke. My apologies if you've recieved a wave of the dreaded "I've bought a lemon" feeling. :D

Dear All,

On the contrary, I have read some rather encouraging reviews about the 800si - so I figured not a bad choice.

Anyways, if it is truly lemonish , I can always go back to CP and they swap it for a better model - maybe another bloddy Dynax 7.

Regards,

CJ

It shouldn't be terribly bad.. used to be Minolta's 2nd top end model.

Although having 2 Dynax 7s would be pretty fun. :p

Nah seriously, you got a great camera... had a friend who had an 800si and went up to a Dynax 9 and ironically, moved back to Nikon now with a D1. But that's a different story altogether. In fact, I bought the 800si for him and brought it here! Should serve the dedicated amateur for years of hasslefree use!

Hi Jed,

Ok - let's see, I'll burn a few rolls of negs and slides and see what gives in between.

And thanks for all the tips and your all seriousness and providing experienced advice.

Regards,

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.