Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Angelus

Jan 5, 2005
Singapore
lord-angelus.deviantart.com
Lady_s_Best_friend_by_Lord_Angelus.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36144893/

Just shot it about 5 mins ago when I was waitting for my friend.

Model: All my stuff

before i viewed, i thought lady's best friends are diamonds :embrass:

Yep even I was looking for a shot of a diamond. Reflective/refractive surfaces are quite a challenge to shoot ;) Interesting shot however.

Sorry, I'm not getting it. Which is the 'best friend' of the few items there? :bigeyes:

I, too, thought of diamonds when I first saw the title.

HP and makeup kit? Hmmm...

Lord_Angelus said:
Lady_s_Best_friend_by_Lord_Angelus.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36144893/

Just shot it about 5 mins ago when I was waitting for my friend.

Model: All my stuff

Before I start, just to let you know that I shoot mobile phone ads for Samsung and Nokia.

The screen of your mobile phone is too dark. Also, this image is too cluttered. I would spread the items a bit.
The top left hand corner is way 'too hot'. You'll have to move your light(s). The shadows are too defined. This shows poor lighting techniques.

On the positive end, I really like the colored gems. They add colors and interests to this almost mono-chromatic image.

photobum said:
The shadows are too defined. This shows poor lighting techniques.

YA, it is poor lighting BECUASE it is using only two small flash that I had. This is NOT studio work like what you do.

If this was done in studio, It will be diff. BUT this was DONE at night when I was so bored waitting for my friend to start the dota game. So just took on my small sensor flash and my other flash and my cam and my make up and my HP.. Being out my cloth and lie it on my sofa. And just anyhow put it.

IMG_6708.jpg

Lord_Angelus said:
YA, it is poor lighting BECUASE it is using only two small flash that I had. This is NOT studio work like what you do.

If this was done in studio, It will be diff. BUT this was DONE at night when I was so bored waitting for my friend to start the dota game. So just took on my small sensor flash and my other flash and my cam and my make up and my HP.. Being out my cloth and lie it on my sofa. And just anyhow put it.

IMG_6708.jpg

Diffuse your small light sources with tracing paper or panty hoses. This helps.

No offence. You want critiques right? This is the critique you'll get. Remember, trash-in, trash-out.

You have a messy composition. Subjects cut into the edges of the frame. A blown out distracting background. If you use a glass/acrylic pane you can seperate subject from background. Use shallow DOF for further emphasis.

You provided the image without further explaination on how it was done or what it was for. You could have simply, if not politely, explained your setup without being bratty. If I could really critique anything, it'll be your attitude. I believe you offer photography services? Conduct yourself in a professional manner then.

actually i dun have a huge problem with the image, shadows and what not, it's colourful and messy in a nice way, i guess could be abstract, so anything goes.

i do however, agree that in a way, you're not taking the critique as graciously as you could have.

and i might want to add, since this shot was taken when u were bored, in a slip shot almost can't be bothered set up (you sounded that way when you described it), why would u want it critiqued? i would assume that anyone (myself included) would put up a shot to be critiqued if we put effort energy and time into creating it, or simply something we thought was well done, but would like a third party's opinion.

in a way, i fully agree with foxtwo, he was harsh in his opinion of you, but hopefully that gets your attention.

keep shooting!

foxtwo said:
....I believe you offer photography services? Conduct yourself in a professional manner then.

You are right, I will not hire her even as an freelancer. Attitude problem.

In army, this is the type of people drill sergeants loves. Too bad, she is excused.

too bad I am just sucks ok. -_-

It is just a photo.

And i am not asking people to hire me...

This is not Services Offered / Wanted if you can see.

And boys, if you want to flame me more, PM me or msn me. Do it in more Gentleman way pls. Do not flame here.

Thank you very much and have a nice day ^_^

wat's this?

"boys"? "ungentlemanly"?

please, don't get ahead of yourself just because you're female in a male dominated environment. i've seen ur posts elsewhere but have not needed to respond until now. you come across as totally aloof and apathetic, not responding appropriately when dealt with in a neutral and non-sexist mannar.

for the last time, this is CRITIQUE CORNER. what we have been doing is to give critiques. and images posted in this sub forum will be replied to in the main, not in PM.

there has been no flames, only a fuel provider, yourself.

Hmm, I always tot critique corner is for critique of the photos. Didn't know can also critique the photographer's personality & attitude too. :sweat:

Peace

oh dear,

why a female photographer "tio hoot" by three professionals over here?

something must be wrong here,

anyway, peace please.

regards

- giving my 2 cent worth ...

take what i am going to say more like a advice - - notthing personal ok ..

I get the idea and the Title - Lady best friends . the item around them that gave them their ident and of cos confident . ------

Title wise - it made sence totally - one can have more then one best friends or choice of fav item ..

Down to photo .. When i look at the Photo -- I felt .. a sence of too TIDY .. how would i put it .. i can almost felt that you spend time trying ti place each item in place for the Shot ..
This systematical placing of the Item made it look kinda artficial

pardon my english My spelling is really poor - but i assume you can make out the words i am trying to express here ..

--- While composing a subject or object -- sometime is good to have a ramdom disorder feel .. which give that extra natural feel .. while allow viewer to related to the semi chaotic life we all have .. -- that why sometime .. ramdon photo appeal to people .. and natural appeal to people .. and the natural selection of random placement give then sence of comfort in viewing ..

i attach one of my photo -- notthing fancy taken long ago --as to what i mean .. for you ..

The idea and lay out is notthing wrong .. lighting can alway be adjusted .. the trick is FEELING .

Blink.jpg

The photo had been reduce in size .. and alot of the sharpness had be lost -- from the reduction .. as well as the lighting is notthing impressive .. The Gems is just throw on apcs of cotton . The focus is not totally on focus .. i don't really have the words to exprsess it .. just a feeling ..

... In Photography - we are not trying to find out who take The best shot - or Who have the Perfect Focus or who have the most expensive camera .. we are not evening trying to
compare goos or bad ..

PhotoGraphy is the Art of Capturing words and feeling in Moment frozen into image that would one day relate that emotional feeling to a Viewer .

Pardon my poor english - and i give cheer to your effort and i am sure you will imporve day by day .

[ Edited Adding after reading one of your reply ]
Oh yeh to add.. WHo say you need a studio to take nice photo - a Lamp - and a steady hand and the right direction can give you amazing .. effect -- as good a studio work .. - The shot above is taken in my room . without window . with a table lamp -- no flash - i put a chair ( stood ) infront on me resting my Arm on the chair , while extenting only my hand over it for the shot

Osix uvlux

catchlights said:
oh dear,

why a female photographer "tio hoot" by three professionals over here?

something must be wrong here,

anyway, peace please.

regards
yo catchlights,

i don't see why she being female has anything to do with this. that's wat i tried to (perhaps sarcastically) highlight in my previous post to her.

my (initial) posts weren't written in accordance to her gender.

yes, I knew,

and yes, I kana from her before also,

but what you want me to say?

if we all choose to keep our mouths shut.

we are not the one in the loss.

So, just let those want to learn, learn.

:)

I just thought I'll give it a try... if it doesn't work out then, oh well

Lord_Angelus said:
And i am not asking people to hire me...

This is not Services Offered / Wanted if you can see.

I only ask that you treat anyone who offers their time in here just as equally as you treat your clients professionally and with courtesy, hence the earlier reference I made.

If you are the type who draws a fine line between Business (commercial photography) from Pleasure (personal photography) then it is most certainly fine.

You posted this in Critique forum. - okay
The image is not optimal to some people. - okay
You have pointed out that this image is not to be considered Business. - okay

But your attitude towards reflected C&C. - not okay

Lord_Angelus said:
Thank you very much and have a nice day ^_^

Yup you too.

And we can all go back to talking about the image if you want. It is your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.