Lady in Deep Thought

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, Exposure. Tell me everything!

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To tell a story of this lady in deep contemplation

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

using 70-200. i was standing across the road. e pic has been cropped heavily as there were many distraction around.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like the expression on her face. She's biting her finger and staring at a book. BW looks good.

should have gotten her left side in. seems weird without her left arm.

but i do like the feel of it. but somehow, i don't know whether because it's B&W, she looks like she's a mannequin.

TS, can you post the picture with complete body of the lady? Let's see hoe bad is the distraction you mentioned.

Hi Learnphotography - The subject is great and I particularly like the natural lighting falling on one side of her face.. it really emphasis the sharpness of her face and her nose.. Just the subject with the book would have been a great shot...

The cut and cropping off the right side of the picture just dont work well...
the background (sharp constrast change in color) at the centre of her head is also a :( ...

Can you spot her again.. LOL.. if even see her again.. try a few more shots and remove some distractions ..

I like her face. :D

Think if u moved to the right a little, it won't look like her arms/hair got cut off. If I took this photo I'd be super happy. :bsmilie:

Guys,
Thanks for the compliment and criticism. I lv to hear all these.

Here it is, no crop. I cant do anything for the backgrd w/o photoshop.

How is it?

TS, can you post the picture with complete body of the lady? Let's see hoe bad is the distraction you mentioned.

Here

Her legs, the menu on the bottom left, a bag and sth white on the right are distractions to me.

Here

Her legs, the menu on the bottom left, a bag and sth white on the right are distractions to me.

sorry. crap. i just can't stop thinking, is she wearing a skirt or pants? gahhhh.

anyways cropping it is good... there're too many distractions. the 2nd one is better :)

sorry. crap. i just can't stop thinking, is she wearing a skirt or pants? gahhhh.

anyways cropping it is good... there're too many distractions. the 2nd one is better :)

yea, one of e reason i cropped it away! some audiences' eyes will be drawn there;p

hmmm. is your image large enough to crop to an extreme closeup? would prefer to see an extreme closeup of her face.

hmmm. is your image large enough to crop to an extreme closeup? would prefer to see an extreme closeup of her face.

Does it look better?
I prefer to have the table, book, and cups there.

haha. not closeup enough. for me, i would have just the face, part of the hair cropped off, leaving the finger. the image will be almost all face for me. :bsmilie:

actually i like how the original photo you submitted is frame, compared to the others you have edited.

:thumbsup: Up for the tones and also how the natural lighting is, which falls onto her right cheeks.

i thought overall it is a nicely taken photo and coherent with your title.

Does it look better?

Hey i prefer to have the table and the book there too. Since ur theme is about her being deep in thought, i thought it would make sense to include what she is immersing her thoughts into.

Thanks for all the comments guys. looks like its more positive than -ve. ill continue to keep a keen eye always.

i think a border + some grain/noise will be good.

I thought the first is more interesting shot than the second. Seems like not many share my sentiments.

Does it look better?

this crop def seems to be the best among your three haha but the image seems rather soft... crop or not, esp her eyes... im guessing you took this shot handheld?

Haha. I see everybody likes different crop now. I just keep this one ba