Ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvinmah

Feb 1, 2006
Yishun
www.melvinmah.com
During e glamour quest event, I noticed some ppl brought along low ladders for e photoshoot. Qn, where can I get one of those? Is it specific for photography purposes or ladders that can be bought from any hardware store?

want to get .. get something taller than the rest .. :bsmilie:

U can buy from the hardware shop, from what I observe, u may need a 5 feet one to stand above the rest...:bsmilie:

get those 12 feet ones, confirm get best view, nobody can block you!

(until you fall down from it due to high center of gravity -CG- though) :bsmilie:

~Arcanic~ said:
get those 12 feet ones, confirm get best view, nobody can block you!

(until you fall down from it due to high center of gravity -CG- though) :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

i'm renting a cherry picker the next time i go for any public events.... ;p

countries got arms race... CS got ladder race...

Time for me to get scaffolding + coolies to set it up hehehe

Time we had some light hearted humour with no malice intended. Recently, everyone has been too serious or bitchy!

Actually not sorry it happened (I was going to apologise but on 2nd thoughts, why?)

melvinmah said:
lol.. now everyone's makin' fun of me

okay bad qn i guess hehe
sorry.. I wasn't making fun of anyone but I feel the use of ladders although not prohibited, shouldn't be used as a SOP. Sooner or later, everyone will be carrying ladders to outdoor events.

Now it's low ladders, soon it'll be 1 step more than low ladders, then another step higher..
Using a ladder blocks the people directly behind you. The only time when you need a ladder is when you are all the way right to the back and you use a long lens to zoom in. Although you might ride on this idea "yes I intend to go all the way behind and use a long lens" but very often, it's just an excuse used to comfort oneself. More reasons will soon pop up like
- "I want to capture eye-level for better pics."
- "I don't have a fast enough long lens (300/2.8) so I need to move forward"
- "I didn't expect to be so forward, since I brought my ladder I might as well use it"
and the list goes on..

A good use of ladder I've seen at a previous outdoor event was that a photographer ask permission from the crowd behind him whether it's ok for him to use the ladder. During the event, he stepped only 1 step up to take a shot then stepped back down. :thumbsup:
Now, how many will do this? Fans are happy, he is happy..(some sort)

The next excuse someone will think of is.. "I'm waiting for the right moment to get eye-contact..." and there we go again.. :dunno:

melvinmah said:
lol.. now everyone's makin' fun of me

okay bad qn i guess hehe
Dont worry we are not making fun of u but we are making fun of the group of photographers who carry ladder to shoot public events and who do not get paid to shoot.

Whatever you do, always do it safe. The higher you go, the harder your fall (if you do fall). Just make sure you don't block the official ones that's paid to do the job. The bouncers might get nasty and do some WWE ladder match on you.

Don't think thats what YYK meant by ladder match...

tommon said:
yep. That would make it a more interesting shoot, you snapping away while the big gorilla wacking you with your ladder. Ha Ha Ha

lolz .. actually i was at the finale to shoot the guy who was the eventual winner of the contest (M10) cos he happened to be one of my instructors .. .and since there was this crowd and wall of ladders ... i asked one of the ladder mounted photogs if he could shoot some pics of M10 for me... and instead of doing that, he offered to let me use the ladder to get above the crowd to shoot (cos i brought my set-up as well) ... anyways from this experience, i would say some of these ladder mounted photogs are pretty friendly people ...

i find monopod+remote more practical. elevate the camera using the monopod and fire away with the remote.

do u hav a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.