Lack of privacy in photo competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

May I bring your attention to the Memories Of A Garden City photography competition.

http://www.asia1.com/nparks/
The format is like this.

You register yourself for the online competition, then the server will confirm your registration. You need to furnishing your:

1. IC Number
2. Contact Number
3. Birthdate

Then you will upload your works in. The only problem? Your personal details are visible under your profile!
Can someone justify the lack of privacy in this competition?

It is run SPH, not some small unknown company. How can they make a person's IC number, contact number and birthdate public?! With a person's birthdate, IC number and Hp number a lot of unethical things can be done with these details.

Why is it in "online forum gallery" type of format? And not develope their own format, or have the personal details somewhere else and not made public under the person's profile page?

Not only that, there's no contact whatsoever, email, phone number, mail address, nothing to contact the organiser or person-in-charge.

And the strangest thing? They did not really ask for your real name, a screen name might do. But if you put your real name, it makes it even worse, as name + IC number + birthdate + contact number is a huge loophole, your identity is in danger of being stolen.

i can't access the website now, but if all these are real, that's really :thumbsd:

maybe Channel News Asia will be interested in publishing some complaints? :think:

The format is something like CS Gallery, you click under the person's profile, you can see (if the person provides) the Email, homepage address, MSN, etc.

But in this case is:

1. Name (if you put your real name)
2. IC Number
3. Birthdate
4. Contact Number

Do the organisers realise the consequences of such info falling into the wrong hands? And to think it is open to public, advertised in newspapers and have hundreds of people registering.

ok can access now ... something that caught my eyes...

the information below taken from http://gallery.asiaone.com.sg/register.php

1. The competition is open to all citizens and residents of Singapore.

2. All images submitted should not exceed file dimension of 640 by 480 each.

3. You must submit a picture that is relevant to the themes of the categories in order to qualify.

4. Each picture must be accompanied by a write-up to explain the choice of the picture in order to qualify. The write-up must be less than 100 words

5. All entries will become the sole property of National Parks Board (NParks) who reserves the right to use them in any manner deemed fit, without payment of any fee.

6. NParks reserves the right to edit the write-up submitted.

7. All photographs submitted will stand a chance to be displayed at the Singapore Garden Festival 2006.

8. Entry deadline is 12 November, 2006.

9. All winners (or appointed representatives) will be notified via mail.

10. The decision of the judges are final. No further correspondence will be entertained.

11. Staff and the immediate families of SPH, NParks and their advertising agency are not allowed to take part.

12. Submission of entry/entries signify acceptances of the rules and conditions stated above.

under location, some people even posted their address...

my goodness!!! tsk. everything's there!:thumbsd:

Now this is the worse-organised photography competition I've ever seen. Now my details are at risk!!!

what's your nick there? i go have a look.. :bsmilie: .. JK!

Status
Not open for further replies.