Labrador Jetty HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenson

Jul 25, 2007
took this shot last sunday at Labrador.
HDR using 3 shots bracket at +-2.
any comments welcome.. especially on the HDR effects. Is it overly done? does it look fake? is the purple sky too fake? Thanks!

IMG_7720_HDR.jpg

and also.. i do not have GND filter, hence i did a gradient overlay in PS. it is noticeable?

"Is the purple sky too fake"

Seriously? Think you answered your own question! Have you ever seen a sky that colour? I know I havnt.

Its another poor HDR, HDR also does not save a poor composition. The composition is weak to begin with, and the HDR just makes it worse.

This sky looks like something out of fantasy novel, and yes, the composition needs work, HDR or not.

"Is the purple sky too fake"

Seriously? Think you answered your own question! Have you ever seen a sky that colour? I know I havnt.

Its another poor HDR, HDR also does not save a poor composition. The composition is weak to begin with, and the HDR just makes it worse.

This sky looks like something out of fantasy novel, and yes, the composition needs work, HDR or not.

Hi Jenson, as opposed to the views from wildstallion and 0200903C, I find your composition not as weak as it sounds. I find it not bad. I have seen worse, at least yours shows promise.

As for the HDR, the colour is a bit off. I have seen dark purple clouds, but this colour is a bit off. On a different note, I think the HDR has lowered the contrast of the picture. You could use PS to increase contrast and maybe colour balance.

would not choose this view, very very very very very very disorientating and mar fun for composing.

why? because got verticals, and this direction means your horizon is going to fly out of the window, it will look slanted even though it is not, due to horizontal perspective distortion.

the idea of composition is fine, BUT the direction you are facing spoils it all.. so the photo looks "twisted in some way" that most people cannot place

sky colour - in daytime or even at sunset, avoid purple in the sky. when the whole area is darker and the lights come out, then you have license to put a purple sky, and it will work sometimes. there is also the problem of "too much cloud detail" here.. the differentations between each cloud is so distinct that even the human eye would not have been able to see it irl.

that said, at least there is no haloing , which was very very possible here given that the lampposts are sticking into the sky. so work harder on an understanding of composing wide scenes to avoid the problems mentioned.. and keep shooting, cheers.

Thanks a lot night86mare... but i remember all settings are normal. i mean white balance was OK, as my all other shots were ok.

? wb of course normal, there is no real right or wrong when it comes to landscapes, just whether it works or not. maybe you left it on auto :dunno: and your camera chose a fluorescent one. at least it looks that way to me. cheers! :)

would not choose this view, very very very very very very disorientating and mar fun for composing.

why? because got verticals, and this direction means your horizon is going to fly out of the window, it will look slanted even though it is not, due to horizontal perspective distortion.

the idea of composition is fine, BUT the direction you are facing spoils it all.. so the photo looks "twisted in some way" that most people cannot place

sky colour - in daytime or even at sunset, avoid purple in the sky. when the whole area is darker and the lights come out, then you have license to put a purple sky, and it will work sometimes. there is also the problem of "too much cloud detail" here.. the differentations between each cloud is so distinct that even the human eye would not have been able to see it irl.

that said, at least there is no haloing , which was very very possible here given that the lampposts are sticking into the sky. so work harder on an understanding of composing wide scenes to avoid the problems mentioned.. and keep shooting, cheers.

Thanks for the constructive advise! guess i gotta make more trips down to labrador. :)

Thanks everyone one the comments! good lesson learnt here.

there is good use of leading lines here, with a dramatic sky, but the purple sky looks fake and the foreground does not add much interest to the photo. so would suggest cropping away the foreground and a bit of the left of the photo for a cleaner composition, and adjusting the colours so the sky looks more blue than purple.

e.g.
IMG_7720_HDR_a.jpg

Hi night86mare, this is a very interesting comment (and perhaps why wildstallion and 0200903C thought of the composition as "weak"). Are you suggesting that if the same lead in were from the left, the perspective would look better? More natural?:think:
Trying to learn here...

Hi night86mare, this is a very interesting comment (and perhaps why wildstallion and 0200903C thought of the composition as "weak"). Are you suggesting that if the same lead in were from the left, the perspective would look better? More natural?:think:
Trying to learn here...

definitely, well the "weird feeling" could be taken away with horizontal perspective correction, but you would have to crop a lot.

i would also add on that the lead-in is into something not quite so pleasant looking, nor something very noteworthy - a weird looking part of the jetty :dunno: it is best if you lead-into something that is aesthetically interesting at the very least, else you end up leading in for the sake of leading in

if you want to see a good shot from this perspective, you can look at zerodivine's version here; though he has done it in a different way which might not be done again because the works there have been stopped (so no more crane to be framed). note that he also has that disorientating tilt to the left , where this frame can be found inside, but here the viewer's focus is drawn away from it. i do think landscape works better for labrador; reason being the rocks are too big for vertical, or too small. and whatever the case the most interesting you could use for foreground might be a lot of rocks (small ones), or seaweed during low tide. in both, you might as well compose it horizontally to make use of the jetty in the background :dunno:

if the lead-in is from the left, as is common when it comes to shooting labrador park beach.. then yes, your horizon will be straight if you want to include the pillars of the jetty nearest to you.

Actually, I like the TS's original pic a whole lot better than the pic at the link you give here. I guess everyone's taste varies.

if you want to see a good shot from this perspective, you can look at zerodivine's version here; though he has done it in a different way which might not be done again because the works there have been stopped (so no more crane to be framed). note that he also has that disorientating tilt to the left , where this frame can be found inside, but here the viewer's focus is drawn away from it. i do think landscape works better for labrador; reason being the rocks are too big for vertical, or too small. and whatever the case the most interesting you could use for foreground might be a lot of rocks (small ones), or seaweed during low tide. in both, you might as well compose it horizontally to make use of the jetty in the background :dunno:

if the lead-in is from the left, as is common when it comes to shooting labrador park beach.. then yes, your horizon will be straight if you want to include the pillars of the jetty nearest to you.

Culés;3952376 said:
Actually, I like the TS's original pic a whole lot better than the pic at the link you give here. I guess everyone's taste varies.

of course.

whatever floats your boat. :dunno: but the ts asked for critique, i gave my view. you're giving yours, with almost zero substantiation except "taste" though. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: maybe if you elaborated? would certainly help everyone, ts included. :)

Jeez, relax dude :)

of course.

whatever floats your boat. :dunno: but the ts asked for critique, i gave my view. you're giving yours, with almost zero substantiation except "taste" though. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: maybe if you elaborated? would certainly help everyone, ts included.

Culés;3952625 said:
Jeez, relax dude :)

?

Critique Corner - Post your image in here to get serious and honest feedback from fellow photographers.

it's not personal, nor am i directing this paragraph at you, definitely not referring to you either - but there is a sudden influx of frivolous posts that borders on nothing but "i like this photo, it seems alright to me", followed by some ramblings which seem to do nothing but sugarcoat it for the ts everytime, this is not the way to go.. people will never take this section seriously already. just taking the chance to point this out to the mods in charge of critique corner.

cules: if you had posted your comment elsewhere i would probably have just ignored it and moved on, even though it does not seem right to me, but here? i am not seeing how it helps the ts in improving at all, when such comments (without substantiation) are posted. i have disagreed with majority opinions before in this section, but never without any substantiation.

Zaren said:
1. critiques will not merely be "crap shot!", "nice shot!" or :thumbsup:
2. the critique will include constructive comments/suggestions on how to improve the photo.
3. reasons will be given why the critique giver thinks the shot is good, or why the shot is weak/bad.
4. ppl who post photos for critique must not take offence at any negative comments/critique even if the comments are as brutal as simon cowell's.
5. unless otherwise stated, everyone giving a photo critique here is NOT a pro, NOT an expert, and does NOT have to show anyone their own portfolio to justify that they are worthy of critiquing photos. however, they are interested in learning how to critique better and more constructively, through practice.

some guidelines for those giving photo critiques;
- Framing/Composition (e.g. how appealing/interesting is the pic?)
- Exposure/Tones (e.g. over blown highlights)
- Color/WB
- sharpness
- Post-Process Workflow
- artistic merit

i hope you understand the context for my questioning - it is nothing to do with your disagreeing with me - everybody does *have* a right to a viewpoint, but this is not the section to express one's viewpoint without any credible reasoning giving. hope you get what i mean, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.