L lens vs non-L lens

ducky88

Apr 22, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Can I know what is the difference between L lens n non-L lens. In terms of picture outpu qualit? How much does a canon L lens 18-200mm cost and same for a non-L lens 18-200mm.

Can I know what is the difference between L lens n non-L lens. In terms of picture outpu qualit? How much does a canon L lens 18-200mm cost and same for a non-L lens 18-200mm.

For pricing questions, your answer is only a price guide away. Check Price guides subsection in Marketplace subforum.

As for picture quality go to photozone.de for reviews, comparisons and sample pics.

mmm not sure if there is a 18-200 L

Anyway L lens are supposed to have superior build quality (means you probably can get away with more major damage than your normal non-L lens can take), and better image quality. I'm not a Canon user so I can't tell you anything about those in real use, but there are definitely some non-L glass that have very high image quality, so don't be fooled by the advertising gimmick. Non-L =/= fail lens. Similarly, most L lenses are very good, but there are some that aren't so good. Read reviews to find out more.

Otherwise, add a rubber band to your non-L lens :bsmilie:

Canon sell a number of lenses in a special series they refer to as L for “luxury.” These are their most expensive and highest-quality lenses, and are readily identifiable by the red stripe painted around the end of the barrel.

L series lenses offer higher optical quality than their non-L equivalents, and have an important technical aspect in common. At least one element in every L lens is either made of fluorite crystal rather than glass, is a ground aspheric lens element (not a moulded/replicated aspheric lens as used in less expensive lenses) or is made from ultra-low dispersion glass. Most L series lenses are also sturdily built - many are encased in metal barrels and are weatherproofed - and most are very fast lenses for their focal lengths. Nearly all telephoto L series lenses are also off-white rather than black.

These lenses are, therefore, marketed as professional camera lenses and are usually priced out of the range of most consumers. They can be used to take great photographs, but the cost, weight and size of these lenses are the tradeoffs.

Of course, a lens doesn’t have to be an L series lens to take good pictures. Many EOS lenses offer excellent optical quality - they just don’t need and thus don’t have exotic fluorite lens elements and so on. Many of Canon’s prime lenses in the 35mm to 135mm range fit in this category - see below. And some recent EF-S lenses offer near-L image quality but lack the red ring and the tough build quality of contemporary L series lenses.

Note also that the presence of a red ring around the end of a lens barrel only indicates an L series lens if it’s actually made by Canon. Some other makers happily paint red stripes around the end of their lenses too, but this in no way guarantees that the lens meets the quality standard of a Canon L lens.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

Is TS custom ordering a 18-200mm 'L' from Canon ?? :bsmilie:

Hi TS, there is no 18-200 L. You must have gotten it wrong.

Anyway hope this link helps your future comparisons.

Is tis lens gd. How much does tis lens cost.

You were already referred to go look into the priceguide section. Why are you still asking for how much it costs? Please don't expect to be spoonfed. A little bit of self-initiated research (you could have googled "Canon 18-200 review") will take you a long way in life.

Pls be patience with me as I jus joined CS. Willing to learn more abt photography pls don't bash me. Thank for your patience.

Pls be patience with me as I jus joined CS. Willing to learn more abt photography pls don't bash me. Thank for your patience.

When I initial starting my 1st DSLR shot was using kit lens (non L)...after that I use to borrow some L lens from other CS member (while outing session) then I start to realise the different IQ of the picture..;)

What can I said is judge or compare by yourself with using both L or non-L lens for shooting the picture..then will understand the different..:eek:

cheers..:thumbsup:

When I initial starting my 1st DSLR shot was using kit lens (non L)...after that I use to borrow some L lens from other CS member (while outing session) then I start to realise the different IQ of the picture..;)

What can I said is judge or compare by yourself with using both L or non-L lens for shooting the picture..then will understand the different..:eek:

cheers..:thumbsup:

U sure it's not psychological and set up ur settings better when holding a L lens? :bsmilie: