L lens vs non-L lens

Having owned and used L lenses. Be it L or non-L lens... The equipment is only as good as it's wielder.

PS: Canon 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 IS is still my fav lens so far.

Pls be patience with me as I jus joined CS. Willing to learn more abt photography pls don't bash me. Thank for your patience.

Nobody is bashing you, but you should be able to locate the price guides for the various brands in the forum overview. Hint: It's spelled Canon :)

Hi 10-22mm is like an L Lens, without an L.

Otherwise, add a rubber band to your non-L lens :bsmilie:[/QUOTE]

maybe can add all color of rubber-band to non-L lens, then all L lens user will salute u.. and can name it P lens - POWER Lens !:hammer:

Otherwise, add a rubber band to your non-L lens :bsmilie:

maybe can add all color of rubber-band to non-L lens, then all L lens user will salute u.. and can name it P lens - POWER Lens !:hammer:[/QUOTE]

Even better paint a red ring around your lens :bsmilie:

There is a 28-300L but it sucks in my opinion, and you're better off getting the 18-200 EF-S if you have a crop sensor...

To answer your question, generally L lenses are of a better build quality, and they're made from better optical materials. That and they are generally designed to have a constant min f/stop (aside from the 100-400 and the 28-300) and are also designed to be fast. They're also canons top of the line as far as color contrast image quality are concern. Though some non-L lenses from canon are pretty damn good for the price. The 85 1.8, 35/2 are both really good for the price, considering there canon counterparts in L quality... Then lenses like the 28mm which don't come in L quality, are also pretty damn nice.

You also have to note they have better water resistance then the non-L lenses, and can take more abuse. I have to say though, the 135L is probably the best L lens at and under 200mm.. It's a pretty fantastic piece of glass, and on a FF body it's amazing for portraits, and on a crop camera it's fantastic for street candids. I like it better then the 85L, though a lot of people like the 1.2 (which is unusable) for it's shallower DOF. That and say the 35L may be worth the price, all the other canon primes aren't. Though zooms yes are clearly better then there non-L counterparts.

Anyway, glad I could be of assistance, if I was...

maybe can add all color of rubber-band to non-L lens, then all L lens user will salute u.. and can name it P lens - POWER Lens !:hammer:

Even better paint a red ring around your lens :bsmilie:[/QUOTE]

Then you'd be voigtlander... And people would laugh.
Though the 125 is a pretty awesome lens in Canon mount.

L lens is only for adults. If you are underage and you are caught using a L lens, be prepared that people will start to post threads in CS saying rich kids like to show off their high end gears. :bsmilie:

On a more serious note, I cant really tell the difference in IQ between the 2.

And macro 1:1!!!! ;p

You fueled my greed .. ;p;p;p
I would also like to have shock/fall proof, at least a drop from 2m.
Bang proof .. at least to a light post
Water proof .. at least, drop to a swimming pool for one hour and nothing should happen.
Dust proof
Fungus proof

.... and probably with a button that act like a folding umbrella, switch off and it is so small that you can put on your pocket .. switch on and ready for shooting.

TS :: Please don't mind... just for pure fun :cool:

I have to say though, the 135L is probably the best L lens at and under 200mm.. It's a pretty fantastic piece of glass, and on a FF body it's amazing for portraits, and on a crop camera it's fantastic for street candids. I like it better then the 85L, though a lot of people like the 1.2 (which is unusable) for it's shallower DOF.

Anyway, glad I could be of assistance, if I was...
Yes you did assist me in revealing information about my dream lens 135L. Thanks a lot!

You fueled my greed .. ;p;p;p
I would also like to have shock/fall proof, at least a drop from 2m.
Bang proof .. at least to a light post
Water proof .. at least, drop to a swimming pool for one hour and nothing should happen.
Dust proof
Fungus proof

.... and probably with a button that act like a folding umbrella, switch off and it is so small that you can put on your pocket .. switch on and ready for shooting.

TS :: Please don't mind... just for pure fun :cool:

Ask Canon to make a "knight rider" version for lens? Or at least, transformer ver. :) camera only has 1 eye. would camera manufacturers make 2 eyes one day? for 1 body?

one thing i learn, you pay for what you get :) 一分钱一分货

you can check out the difference/comparison on Canon Lens book(free when you bought a camera, well in my case)

or you can drop by on Canon store at VivoCity and take some leaflets/brochure out there and read for their specs, etc

by the way i own 2 "L" lenses and i can say its way too better than my previous non-L lenses before in terms of sharpness,color and reproduction
:)

Hi 10-22mm is like an L Lens, without an L.

...er, not so sure about this leh...i got a EFS10-22mm but still not on par with my other L's. but i quit complaining already 'cos not may choices really.

Seriously, L or non-L, knowing the strengths and weakness of each lens is also very important so that you know what you get and you can take advantage of each in the best way.

Huh. I don't see the need for L lenses... I have got a schoolmate who is such a big moral fan of L lenses and kept on dissing kit lenses. Not like L lenses will turn you from a newbie to a pro.