L lens on crop sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane

Mar 29, 2007
was in a camera shop the other day when overheard someone saying that a L lens on a cropped sensor like 450d will not harness the full potential of the L glass. and it's really a waste and FF body will only do justification to it. any ppl out there agree with his point of view? though i don't deny he is wrong and neither is he absolutely right ;p

If you are considering getting FF in the future, the L lens will still come useful instead of buying lenses again.

No right or wrong. There might be EF-S / APS-C optimised lens equivalents that are lighter and cheaper.

The only time one can "waste the lens" is when one doesn't shoot much at all or snapping aimlessly

Ryan

Though I do not have the factual information here, I somewhat agree. I have done enough pixel-peeing tests with my previous 350D and 40D to see for myself that a full frame sensor is really far more capable of capturing details - Shoot grass land you get green carpet on crop and green grass on full frame. Which I also discovered that 24-105L on my 40D didn't match a 28-135 on a 5D on most focal lengths at same aperture in terms on sharpness - the latter was better.

Coincidentally, I just read the same thing on the net yesterday - Mentioned something about per pixel size or something like that where full frame's bigger hence better noise control and detail capturing... know nuts about tech details though. LOL. I use eyes see one.

Last edited:
Do note that some lenses (e.g. Nikon's 70-200/2.8 VR) are optimized for crop sensors even though they project a full-frame image circle onto the image plane - hence you get better sharpness on APS-C sensors at the cost of edge sharpness on full frame sensors. Canon's 70-200/2.8L IS is optimized for FF sensors so you get better edge sharpness for FF at the cost of less resolution on APS-C sensors. Read before you buy.

buy what you need, and use what you buy. there will never be perfect crop-sensor equivalents for all L glass, so if the L gives you what you need, then go get it.

- crop sensor user with L lenses

In many cases, crop sensors actually get an advantage from using full frame lenses such as L glass. You don't suffer from the vignetting and edge softness, you get to use the "sweet spot".

Sounds to me like a salesman tryig to sell a 5DMkII.

Don't think so much, just shoot :thumbsup: :)

was in a camera shop the other day when overheard someone saying that a L lens on a cropped sensor like 450d will not harness the full potential of the L glass. and it's really a waste and FF body will only do justification to it. any ppl out there agree with his point of view? though i don't deny he is wrong and neither is he absolutely right ;p

There's no right or wrong. At the end of the day, u're happy using it and that's what's impt. When i got my first L, i was using it with my ex 10D and very happy with its results.

It really depends on if you have the cash to purchase both your desired L lens and a full-frame body right? If you can afford it, then I'd say go ahead. Else, it's really no loss either. As long as you take great pictures and am happy with the results.

the person who mentioned this was two potential customer in the shop exchangin experience. not the salesman.
i just find it intriguing and post this question here to learn more abt it from the pros here.
thanx for the input ppl and feel free to give your opinions...
always like to listen and learn from you guys.
regards ;p

No matter how good the lens r (even for L lens)... the edge tents to suffer from some problems... by using a crop sensor, it allows u to leave out the edges and only use the sweet spot area which is actually an advantage over the higer noise presented in samller sensor...

No matter how good the lens r (even for L lens)... the edge tents to suffer from some problems... by using a crop sensor, it allows u to leave out the edges and only use the sweet spot area which is actually an advantage over the higer noise presented in samller sensor...

But the disadvantage for cropped bodies is that u'll miss out on ultrawide other than using the EF-S 10-22. No L lenses have UWAs for cropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.