L.C.W. Fader ND

desmondnwj

Jun 11, 2008
Tiong Bahru
Hi fellow DSLR users, anyone has experience with this filter?

I do see the potential application with this filter. However, I still have the following queries:

1. Is it really worth it?
  2. Use it often (definitely more often than a ND110)?
  3. Performance (e.g. IQ, colour cast and etc.)?
  4. More geared for static shooting (taking posed shots, taking your own sweet time to shoot and etc.)?

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
Also interested to know from users ... I've seen reviews stating that it changes the white balance and creates a slight green tint. But its something Manual whitebalance can adjust

Also that it takes out some contrast in the image and affecting abit of IQ ...

Any feedback?

1. Is it really worth it?
  2. Use it often (definitely more often than a ND110)?
  3. Performance (e.g. IQ, colour cast and etc.)?
  4. More geared for static shooting (taking posed shots, taking your own sweet time to shoot and etc.)?

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

It has 2 diff models, I tk its 2-9 stops & 9-12 stops. I hav got the 2-9 stops.

My own personal experience;

Not dark enuff for sunny day to stop long enuff to smooth out water movement (as compare to ND110).

Not recommended if u intend to use on UWA lens.

So far i only use it for wide open shot on my Sigma 30mm at f/1.4 during day (otherwise not possible to open up so much, over expose) and varies the density to suit shutter speed. Have not thought of other purposes so far... At this point, i tk it will help a lot if shooting video and if need thin DOF

Not dark enuff for sunny day to stop long enuff to smooth out water movement (as compare to ND110).

So far i only use it for wide open shot on my Sigma 30mm at f/1.4 during day (otherwise not possible to open up so much, over expose) and varies the density to suit shutter speed. Have not thought of other purposes so far... At this point, i tk it will help a lot if shooting video and if need thin DOF

Thanks for ur insights kingpin8 :)

Anymore users?

I would avoid these filters. I know of friends using these and they going cross banding (looks like a big star in the frame).

If you want to try it out and have 2 CPLs, you can just screw 2 CPLs together and start turning. And yes, that is exactly how these Variable NDs are made.

So, to get 8 stops reduction. Best to get those ND8 filters?

I would avoid these filters. I know of friends using these and they going cross banding (looks like a big star in the frame).

If you want to try it out and have 2 CPLs, you can just screw 2 CPLs together and start turning. And yes, that is exactly how these Variable NDs are made.

i think 2 CPLs cannot make it laa.. haha. i need an extra pair of hands to tune the filters. haa

+1. I'm also using the 2-8 stops one. But I don't think even the Lee and Hitech brands can hold up on sunny days as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it because of vignetting? Just buy a size bigger than your lens thread and slap a step-up ring on it. In my case, my lens is 77mm, so I bought the 82mm one and got myself a 77-82mm step-up ring. Almost no vignetting at all.

The cross-banding appears when you go beyond the maximum limit allowed. Otherwise, you're safe. Color casting is inevitable. Lee and Hitech got this too, so no need to worry about it. I won't say much about IQ. Definitely degraded.

Here's a sample taken at 12nn:
DSC02896.jpg

Last edited: